click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #21
Wonger

The FZ10 does wheelie easier, I'll give it that...

It's actually at the crank, but most are putting down over 150 which means they are a little stronger than listed. Changing to headers and a Rapidbike Evo tune, or one of the other add-ons and they are putting down well above 160 to the wheel consistently. They are pretty darn quick. I saw 150, corrected, once on my FZ1. I've hit well over that on the Xr and it gets there quicker. Also, don't discount the sweet quickshifter and auto-blipper down shift. I make more real-world progress due to this as much as anything else. The Yamaha quickshifter on the FZ was slower than I could do by clutchless upshifting on my own. It worked well and was smooth, but it wasn't on par with the BMW or new Ducati's. KTM's downshifter function's just as well, but they have so much engine breaking, you need to be braking hard to not feel it slow the bike significantly.

Here is me and an S1000R going for it. He started in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart. I think aero and additional weight balanced out...This is just into 6th gear and about 155+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaJ1PB2mzo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg xr.jpg (111.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #22
G_man

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #23
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
The FZ10 does wheelie easier, I'll give it that...

It's actually at the crank, but most are putting down over 150 which means they are a little stronger than listed. Changing to headers and a Rapidbike Evo tune, or one of the other add-ons and they are putting down well above 160 to the wheel consistently. They are pretty darn quick. I saw 150, corrected, once on my FZ1. I've hit well over that on the Xr and it gets there quicker. Also, don't discount the sweet quickshifter and auto-blipper down shift. I make more real-world progress due to this as much as anything else. The Yamaha quickshifter on the FZ was slower than I could do by clutchless upshifting on my own. It worked well and was smooth, but it wasn't on par with the BMW or new Ducati's. KTM's downshifter function's just as well, but they have so much engine breaking, you need to be braking hard to not feel it slow the bike significantly.

Here is me and an S1000R going for it. He started in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart. I think aero and additional weight balanced out...This is just into 6th gear and about 155+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaJ1PB2mzo

Love the XR, I'm afraid to go ride one, it might follow me home.
Cuban Rider is a good follow on YT, been following him for a couple of years and ran into him before the Rally this year at the overlook. Dude rides really well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF6...PgvX_K4x8Fz9KA
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Love the XR, I'm afraid to go ride one, it might follow me home.
Cuban Rider is a good follow on YT, been following him for a couple of years and ran into him before the Rally this year at the overlook. Dude rides really well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF6...PgvX_K4x8Fz9KA
I can't watch videos like that anymore. I keep waiting for the damn deer to jump out...
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125 ("track" bike )
Torchsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #25
tfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post
The bottom line is, there's only one possible justification. George Carlin said it best...

"You gotta WANNA..."
that says it all
tfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #26
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I can't watch videos like that anymore. I keep waiting for the damn deer to jump out...
Up there, hogs and wild turkey seem to be more common. Potentially similar results....unless you're the "Pig Killer"!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #27
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

I've been so close to buying the MT-10 many times.

The bike is fun and awesome. Not exactly on par with the Tuono, which I also have come close to buying, but not far behind.

I've decided I don't need the V4 1100 Tuono mad man. I think the MT-10 is a little more usable, but barely.

The thing that's held me back has mostly been range/fuel consumption. It's not uncommon for me to do a 300-500 day ride on my fjr. But that would be 3-5 fuel stops on the MT-10.

I've decided to hold onto the FJR for now and to hopefully do some suspension upgrades soon (although I've been too busy to ride lately.

If I do get a supplemental bike it will likely be a Street Triple 765 or another Speed Triple. They are sexy and refined. That, and I'm kind of still bitter over my warranty squabble with Yamaha over the 2nd gear dog repair on my FJR, but that's another story.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
I've decided to hold onto the FJR for now and to hopefully do some suspension upgrades soon (although I've been too busy to ride lately.

If you're too busy to ride, it's a perfect time to send that suspension in ;)
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #29
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
If you're too busy to ride, it's a perfect time to send that suspension in ;)
Too expensive to have the crew at Racetech or whatever do it for me; too busy to do it myself.

The tempting solution has been a new bike, but you know how I love my couch rocket!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #30
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Here’s one!

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/mc...938346782.html
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #31
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Saw one with mods for $8750 and under 12k miles on TDJ Garage Sale FB group
Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #32
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
Too expensive to have the crew at Racetech or whatever do it for me; too busy to do it myself.

The tempting solution has been a new bike, but you know how I love my couch rocket!
What sort of quotes are you getting??
I had R1 forks full revalve for $500 all in
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion