make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #21
Wonger
Registered User
 
Wonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fayetteville, Ga
Posts: 1,639
The FZ10 does wheelie easier, I'll give it that...

It's actually at the crank, but most are putting down over 150 which means they are a little stronger than listed. Changing to headers and a Rapidbike Evo tune, or one of the other add-ons and they are putting down well above 160 to the wheel consistently. They are pretty darn quick. I saw 150, corrected, once on my FZ1. I've hit well over that on the Xr and it gets there quicker. Also, don't discount the sweet quickshifter and auto-blipper down shift. I make more real-world progress due to this as much as anything else. The Yamaha quickshifter on the FZ was slower than I could do by clutchless upshifting on my own. It worked well and was smooth, but it wasn't on par with the BMW or new Ducati's. KTM's downshifter function's just as well, but they have so much engine breaking, you need to be braking hard to not feel it slow the bike significantly.

Here is me and an S1000R going for it. He started in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart. I think aero and additional weight balanced out...This is just into 6th gear and about 155+


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaJ1PB2mzo

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xr.jpg (111.7 KB, 163 views)
__________________
Brub Brrrrububb Brrrubbubbrubb...
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #22
G_man
Registered User
 
G_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,168
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!
__________________
“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #23
bmidd
Throwing $$ at a BMW now.
 
bmidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chattanooga,TN
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
The FZ10 does wheelie easier, I'll give it that...

It's actually at the crank, but most are putting down over 150 which means they are a little stronger than listed. Changing to headers and a Rapidbike Evo tune, or one of the other add-ons and they are putting down well above 160 to the wheel consistently. They are pretty darn quick. I saw 150, corrected, once on my FZ1. I've hit well over that on the Xr and it gets there quicker. Also, don't discount the sweet quickshifter and auto-blipper down shift. I make more real-world progress due to this as much as anything else. The Yamaha quickshifter on the FZ was slower than I could do by clutchless upshifting on my own. It worked well and was smooth, but it wasn't on par with the BMW or new Ducati's. KTM's downshifter function's just as well, but they have so much engine breaking, you need to be braking hard to not feel it slow the bike significantly.

Here is me and an S1000R going for it. He started in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart. I think aero and additional weight balanced out...This is just into 6th gear and about 155+


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaJ1PB2mzo

.
Love the XR, I'm afraid to go ride one, it might follow me home.
Cuban Rider is a good follow on YT, been following him for a couple of years and ran into him before the Rally this year at the overlook. Dude rides really well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF6...PgvX_K4x8Fz9KA
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer
 
Torchsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northwoods of Minnesota
Posts: 8,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Love the XR, I'm afraid to go ride one, it might follow me home.
Cuban Rider is a good follow on YT, been following him for a couple of years and ran into him before the Rally this year at the overlook. Dude rides really well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF6...PgvX_K4x8Fz9KA
I can't watch videos like that anymore. I keep waiting for the damn deer to jump out...
__________________
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR CORSA
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #25
tfz1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post
The bottom line is, there's only one possible justification. George Carlin said it best...

"You gotta WANNA..."
that says it all
tfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #26
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....
 
iluvmyfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I can't watch videos like that anymore. I keep waiting for the damn deer to jump out...
Up there, hogs and wild turkey seem to be more common. Potentially similar results....unless you're the "Pig Killer"!
__________________
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #27
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.
 
BruinFZ1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,028
I've been so close to buying the MT-10 many times.

The bike is fun and awesome. Not exactly on par with the Tuono, which I also have come close to buying, but not far behind.

I've decided I don't need the V4 1100 Tuono mad man. I think the MT-10 is a little more usable, but barely.

The thing that's held me back has mostly been range/fuel consumption. It's not uncommon for me to do a 300-500 day ride on my fjr. But that would be 3-5 fuel stops on the MT-10.

I've decided to hold onto the FJR for now and to hopefully do some suspension upgrades soon (although I've been too busy to ride lately.

If I do get a supplemental bike it will likely be a Street Triple 765 or another Speed Triple. They are sexy and refined. That, and I'm kind of still bitter over my warranty squabble with Yamaha over the 2nd gear dog repair on my FJR, but that's another story.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob
 
theunderfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
I've decided to hold onto the FJR for now and to hopefully do some suspension upgrades soon (although I've been too busy to ride lately.

.
If you're too busy to ride, it's a perfect time to send that suspension in ;)
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #29
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.
 
BruinFZ1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
If you're too busy to ride, it's a perfect time to send that suspension in ;)
Too expensive to have the crew at Racetech or whatever do it for me; too busy to do it myself.

The tempting solution has been a new bike, but you know how I love my couch rocket!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #30
Stella Blue
Yucksamush
 
Stella Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 2,490
Here’s one!

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/mc...938346782.html
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #31
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer
 
YamahaMan444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,217
Saw one with mods for $8750 and under 12k miles on TDJ Garage Sale FB group
__________________
.
YamahaMan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #32
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob
 
theunderfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
Too expensive to have the crew at Racetech or whatever do it for me; too busy to do it myself.

The tempting solution has been a new bike, but you know how I love my couch rocket!
What sort of quotes are you getting??
I had R1 forks full revalve for $500 all in
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #33
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.
 
BruinFZ1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
The FZ10 does wheelie easier, I'll give it that...

It's actually at the crank, but most are putting down over 150 which means they are a little stronger than listed. Changing to headers and a Rapidbike Evo tune, or one of the other add-ons and they are putting down well above 160 to the wheel consistently. They are pretty darn quick. I saw 150, corrected, once on my FZ1. I've hit well over that on the Xr and it gets there quicker. Also, don't discount the sweet quickshifter and auto-blipper down shift. I make more real-world progress due to this as much as anything else. The Yamaha quickshifter on the FZ was slower than I could do by clutchless upshifting on my own. It worked well and was smooth, but it wasn't on par with the BMW or new Ducati's. KTM's downshifter function's just as well, but they have so much engine breaking, you need to be braking hard to not feel it slow the bike significantly.

Here is me and an S1000R going for it. He started in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart. I think aero and additional weight balanced out...This is just into 6th gear and about 155+


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaJ1PB2mzo

.
"Mexico" sure looks a lot like the SE US!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #34
tfz1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfz1 View Post
really trying
the deal is decent pretty high dealer fees though
dont care for the transformer look
but the cp4 sound!!
the fz1 is a great bike

havent posted here in a while
thanks
pulled the trigger
after 500 mi my thoughts

cp4 sounds great fueling and throttle are good even with a 3/4 system w/o flash vibrations and engine heat are a little less then the fz
brakes are on par with the fz
riding position a little more upright and roomy then the fz
the gear indicator is the best thing about the electronics cruise tc throttle modes i could care less about
qs used it a few times to bang through the gears
front susp is pretty good
rear is stiff and slightly harsh adjustments made it barely tolerable my fz shock was better getting a nitron in the near future
MISS THE CENTERSTAND
is it a better bike overall not really
yes its a fun bike for hooligan riding and wheelies just going for a spirited ride in the mountains or light touring not sure
mabe underestimated how good the fz1 really is
tfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #35
chaparral
Registered User
 
chaparral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Guernsey channel islands uk (35mph max speed limit)
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfz1 View Post
mabe underestimated how good the fz1 really is
At least Yamaha carried over some the gen2 FZ1 stuff to the FZ10/MT10 like the hard uncomfortable seat , Low MPG and a small fuel tank
__________________
08 Graphite grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox, Oxford heated grips
chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.15525 seconds with 12 queries