click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
Oh, cool! Yes, I love Damon's. We have lived in Glendale a little over 3 years and just discovered Damon's a year or so ago. We've been 4 or 5 times or so. Excellent prime rib!

I'm headed out of town for a few days 9/7. But message me if you get here before that!
I'm not sure I've ever had the prime rib there might have to try it next time.
We usually get the filet which is very thick and tender melts in your mouth the Mai Tai's are mighty good too!

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #22
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
I'm not sure I've ever had the prime rib there might have to try it next time.
We usually get the filet which is very thick and tender melts in your mouth the Mai Tai's are mighty good too!
They are! I think that's part of what keeps the place so popular.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
G_man

Quote:
They are! I think that's part of what keeps the place so popular.
hahaha, a lot of truth to that. I like to get a shot of Myers dark rum as a "Floater" on top of the Mai Tai to have that extra kick....

So have you ventured east on Colorado into Eagle Rock? Along the way is cool little Italian Restaurant called Scarantino's. And once into the Rock is the Famous Tommy's the best Chili Cheeseburgers you will ever have.

It's basically a drivethru with limited seating outside but worth it.

If you keep going into Pasadena is another famous LA staple "The Hat" and their infamous Pastrami monster sami's.....

Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
G_man

Current update on my buddy Don.

He has not been able to ride his new Husky much at all only a couple times as the chemo has really eaten away at his body and he's lost a lot of strength and weight.

The last time he tried to ride he had to go back a third of the way into the ride as he was in too much pain.

Yesterday his Wife and Family took him to the VA hospital as he had lost feelings in his legs he had to wait till around midnight before they could get him in a room he was in a lot of pain waiting he's been taking a lot of pain meds as well and it also has blocked him up pretty bad.

They ran some tests and found a tumor on his spine T-2 thru T-8 .

They needed to go in and remove it and also remove bone so they need to replace that with Rod screws and pins.

It is a risky surgery and also the fact he has cancer makes it even riskier and the surgeon said there could be paralysis but he is already semi paralyzed right now as he can't feel his legs very good at all.

Don was anxious to get the ball rolling.

I went into the room after the doctor left and was talking to Don and grabbed his hand.
Some of the first words out of his mouth was he will not be able to ride again and he has a new bike just waiting for him and he hadn't completed installing his new handguards yet. It was the first time in my life I've really seen Don with a worried, concerned look on his face.

Just got news a few hours ago from his nephew Jake (who now rides too!) that the surgery was successful and he is in a lot of pain.

There's going to be a lot of rehab and it's going to be very painful for him.

I just Pray and Hope that he can pull out of this okay he really is the Greatest guy I've ever known....

Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #25
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Praying his recovery is as successful as his attitude seems to be.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #26
isleoman

I hope things turn out well for your friend.

A somber reminder to get things checked, especially if it's in your family's history. It can often be stopped if caught early.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #27
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
hahaha, a lot of truth to that. I like to get a shot of Myers dark rum as a "Floater" on top of the Mai Tai to have that extra kick....

So have you ventured east on Colorado into Eagle Rock? Along the way is cool little Italian Restaurant called Scarantino's. And once into the Rock is the Famous Tommy's the best Chili Cheeseburgers you will ever have.

It's basically a drivethru with limited seating outside but worth it.

If you keep going into Pasadena is another famous LA staple "The Hat" and their infamous Pastrami monster sami's.....
It's been a while, but I'll answer now.

I've been to Eagle Rock, but not this "Scarantino's" place you mention. I'll have to check it out.

I HAVE been to a Tommy's. I think it was in Barstow, on the way to Vegas. I think there are a few around. And, yeah, it was great.

Never been to The Hat, but when driving out to the folks in Redlands a week or so ago my daughter and I saw a sign for a location out that way. Another one on the list.

Another LA staple for Pastrami is "Langer's." It's across the road from McArthur Park, in a legitimately shitty part of LA. But I think it has been there since back when McArthur park was probably a respectable neighborhood greenspace, rather than a litter and needle invested homeless encampment.

But, for pastrami, the best I've had in California is Sherman's Deli & Bakery in Palm Springs. The wife and I went. Everything was delicious.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #28
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

On a more serious note, G Man, I'm very sorry Don has to go through all of this crap. Life is neither fair, nor just.

But, you all are very fortunate to have friends like you do.

Praying everything takes a turn for the better.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #29
Wonger

Don is in our thoughts too. That picture could cheer anyone up!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #30
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
I hope things turn out well for your friend.

A somber reminder to get things checked, especially if it's in your family's history. It can often be stopped if caught early.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the good thoughts for Don and yes what you say is very true. He recently told me to pay attention to my body if I have any pain at all to get it checked out.

He had mentioned to me before that he had some intestinal pain that he put off getting checked out for different reasons and if he would caught it in time that things might be different.

Just like your motorcycle when it starts to make noise or acts different you address the situation, same thing should be with your body.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #31
G_man

Quote:
It's been a while, but I'll answer now.

I've been to Eagle Rock, but not this "Scarantino's" place you mention. I'll have to check it out.

I HAVE been to a Tommy's. I think it was in Barstow, on the way to Vegas. I think there are a few around. And, yeah, it was great.

Never been to The Hat, but when driving out to the folks in Redlands a week or so ago my daughter and I saw a sign for a location out that way. Another one on the list.

Another LA staple for Pastrami is "Langer's." It's across the road from McArthur Park, in a legitimately shitty part of LA. But I think it has been there since back when McArthur park was probably a respectable neighborhood greenspace, rather than a litter and needle invested homeless encampment.

But, for pastrami, the best I've had in California is Sherman's Deli & Bakery in Palm Springs. The wife and I went. Everything was delicious.

WoW!!!@@

That looks fantastic and the Sami looks goid too!

Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
Duken4evr
Map Maven

A fascinating picture worth studying in depth. Here is my interpretation:

Her face is cropped out, which is mysterious. How pretty is she? The mind can only imagine. We can see a bit of her upper arms, which are nice and trim.

Then we have a dainty golden jewel encrusted crucifix, suggesting she is a classy good girl, followed of course by the lovely cleavage, which suggests all sorts of sexiness.

Than we have a meaty sammich, one a hungry lumberjack would be proud to finish, which suggests she has an appetite for life.

Looks like wife material to me. Don't even need to see her face. You are a lucky man Bruin!

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #33
G_man

Update on my Great Friend Don.....

Since the spine surgery he has been in a lot of pain they transferred him from the hospital after about 5 days into a rehab center.
The problem is these places are very regulated as far as pain medication and they can't give him enough to help reduce his INTENSE pain.

His sister recently moved back to their hometown of Wisconsin is here to be with her brother.
Here is Karen and loving daughter Hannah, they both been so helpful in all of this as Don's wife Cathy is overwhelmed as you can imagine.

Don's wishes is to go home to die peacefully amongst his family and dogs. The cancer has multiplied and really has spread throughout his whole body it is really sad to see as he was always very healthy and took great care of himself.

They moved him there about 4 days ago and we visited him on Wednesday and the house was full with family and Love for Don.

I have known Don and Dano about the same time 31 years since moving to Arizona.
Both are former roommates of mine and I can't think of better friends to have--great guys I feel very lucky to have a great friend like Don.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #34
G_man

At 6:19 pm today our Great Friend Don Lowenberg took his last breath......

He will be missed by many but not forgotten.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, thoughts and prayers.

I am going to miss the Greatest Friend I ever had. 😓

Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #35
okaugust
Hell Bent for Leather

Rest in peace, and I hope you find peace too, my friend.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #36
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I'm very sorry to read this about your friend Don. RIP.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #37
Wonger

Damn. Rest in Peace fellow rider and vicarious friend, Don. My best wishes to you and I am sorry for the loss for you and your family as well as his. Motorcycle friends are indeed the best.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #38
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Sorry to hear of this loss. My condolences to you and his family and friends.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #39
G_man

Update to this thread:

We had Don's Celebration of Life. It was a really great Service and there were many classic photos of Don and his Love of Life, Family and Friends. Thanks to EVERYONE who helped make this happen.

The Pastor let us bring in his Husky which was mixed emotions for me as he only was able to ride it two times as he battled the cancer.....

This was his first helmet he had when he rode back in Wisconsin during his youth. His sister Karen told me all his buddies had the same helmets.
How cool is that!

Don use to love tinkering on his work truck

His nephew Jake parked it right front and center of the enterance to the Church. His wife Cathy needs to sell it and it has a custom pull out work/tool tray and the sides open up to parts bins.

This is a typical "nothing brings me down" picture of Don. We were out practicing at ACP and Don had a BAD crash over a set of tricky jumps. If you look closely you can see the marks on his forehead where he hit his handlebars. And here he is smiling!

What an AMAZING guy he was. The World would be a better place with more Don Lowenberg's around.....

Goodbye Don, I'm going to miss You as well as a lot of other folks....

Thanks to EVERYONE for their kind words and thoughts as I have my final closure on my Best Friend.

Last edited by G_man; 07-22-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #40
okaugust
Hell Bent for Leather

What a wonderful tribute!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion