click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Immigration

Yesterday my oldest son and his wife became US citizens and I attended the ceremony in LA. He is a young hotshot executive and his company worked on all of the arrangements. He has been living in the US for 10 or 11 years. It was an very cool ceremony with over 2500 people from 121 countries all over the world being sworn in. They were all very happy and many were very emotional and I suspect that the most emotional are those who have escaped corrupt and dangerous places and now they are free to pursue their happiness.
Obviously this wasn't the case with my son but he deeply loves the US and always has and is a very proud American.:

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Great to hear! Congratulations to your son!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I do know that becoming a US citizen the right way is not an easy task. We have friends from Australia who have been at it for years. Way cool! I am glad for him.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I do know that becoming a US citizen the right way is not an easy task. We have friends from Australia who have been at it for years. Way cool! I am glad for him.
It was easy for him, he had company lawyers doing all of the work. He still has a Canadian passport which is a good thing but he has taken the oath that his allegiance is solely to the US. He will honour that oath. It works the other way too when American citizens swear their allegiance to Canada to become a citizen.

He has taken a lot of ribbing for this decision - you know, redneck stuff lol.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
longeze

Congratulations! I have a friend from Sweden who came here on a work visa & has been trying to obtain citizenship for years. It's been really frustrating for him, as immigration continually delays his application, making him jump through ridiculous hoops in the mean time to stay here. This, despite having married an American citizen nearly a decade ago. At one point, immigration made him return to Sweden & reapply for a new work visa, because the Swedish Corp. (where he was my boss - ironically) that he originally worked for in the US, was bought out. The system is broken. He understandably became pretty bitter about it all.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Congrats to your son Pete!

Just about all of my gigs the last 20+ years (tech start ups) have had some folks on visas and nearly every one of them have fallen in love with US and went for citizenship. I encourage this as they're younger than me and we need more earners if I'm ever going to see a buck from social security
Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
organ donor

Oh great another Canadian transplant, build the damn wall already.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
okrider

Congratulations! I just sent my green card application last week. Hopefully I'll have it late this year or early next year.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
WDD

Congrats!!

Is he a dual citizen?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
quazz

The judge at the swearing in had a great speech. He talked about his father being an immigrant, the grandfather of the president, his wife and a bunch of other examples of a nation of immigrants and "you are just the most recent". He spoke of the obligations of citizenship and the values of equality and freedom enshrined in the constitution. It was really cool.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Congrats!!

Is he a dual citizen?
The US does not recognize dual citizenship. He is as American as anyone under the law.
Canada does not force him to give up his Canadian citizenship so yes he is a dual citizen but not in the eyes of the US.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
Sam9

Congratulations to your son! Most of the time it’s a pretty dang good country.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #13
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

At the LA Convention Center, I imagine?

I watched my sister take her citizenship oath there in around 2010 or 2011. I took mine a few years later, I think it was in 2016.

Yes, the air was light and prideful. We all walked a long walk to get "here," in the metaphorical sense.

Many people surely fled dire circumstances. Others gave up just about everything. My family's immigration story was not without great struggle, to be sure. But, fortunately for me, about the biggest evil I fled from was bitter cold winter weather.

BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #14
ajbigwood
Darth Fazer

I’ve been in the US since 2000 - it took us 7 years to get Permanent Residency and I didn’t become a citizen until 2014 or so. A long and arduous process for my parents as I remember, but I am lucky that for me it involved little more than lots of trips to get fingerprinted and such.

I have dual passports with England, but consider myself (and am hugely proud to be) an American. This is the greatest country on earth as far as I am concerned and I have been blessed endlessly with opportunity here. Wouldn’t leave for anything.
04-06 R1 front end w/ carbon fiber fender; R1 master cylinder; Penske 8981 shock; Ivan's jet kit; SW Motech top/side racks; Givi E360 panniers; Coocase S50 top case; 4° advancer; Throttlemeister cruise control; NC shield w/ laminar lip; Sargent Seat; 17t sprocket; Galfer braided lines; R1 shift arm; 12V outlet; Watsen signals; Competition Werkes fender eliminator; Grip puppies; Oxford heated grips; Tech-Spec tank pads; varied GoPro mounts; custom radiator guard; M4 slip-on.
ajbigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #15
motoed
Fully Retarded

U damn skippy this is a great country. Good for your son. Now I want to be Canadian, they got all the cool stuff.
To All Those Who Suffer and are Ignored and Mocked.
That Damn Eddie.
We're having some fun now.

motoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:30 AM   #16
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
The US does not recognize dual citizenship. He is as American as anyone under the law.
Canada does not force him to give up his Canadian citizenship so yes he is a dual citizen but not in the eyes of the US.
I am thinking about immigrating to Canada - to live in your basement. What are the citizenship requirements?
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #18
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I'm sure it will be a great relief to no longer have to apologize for everything, heck of a burden to carry around.

Seriously though, I'm pleased to hear becoming an American is still a positive for some Canadians. Social media and the news can lead you to believe most Canadians think we're arsehats
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #19
grommet
kinetic mentality

That's very cool, quazz. Please forward congratulations and good wishes.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #20
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I'm sure it will be a great relief to no longer have to apologize for everything, heck of a burden to carry around.

Seriously though, I'm pleased to hear becoming an American is still a positive for some Canadians. Social media and the news can lead you to believe most Canadians think we're arsehats
Most Canadians and Americans are not arsehats and can keep things in perspective. If you listen to politicians they think that we are going to hell in a hand basket unless of course we vote for them. The truth is that violent crime is at an all time low, the economies are strong and we have never been richer, healthier or more safe. Outside of relatively minor skirmishes we are at peace.It is bad politics to say "you know what things are pretty good so I won't change a whole lot"

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion