click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #41
sloowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Po View Post
I had an '08 1000RR that burned 1 quart every 1000 miles. Honda said that it was normal and would not repair it. I traded it in on a Concours 14 and have not owned anything Honda since.
Strange, that's exactly what Kawasaki has been telling Vulcan owners since about the mid-1990's.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #42
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzman View Post
Finally a BMW post I can add to. (it has been a while)

As most of you know I ride the S1000R. *(not the RR).

I've had only a love love relationship with mine for the most part. Occasionally the lean angle sensor gets confused and sets a warning. To the best of my knowledge it is still doing its thing and all is good, light usually goes off on the next restart or I have to use a code reader to clear the code. (It is $700 to replace it I hear). My one complaint is that the light that comes on is the same one that comes on when you disable the traction control. I have once made the mistake of spooling up full throttle in the rain (while in rain mode) only to realize the traction control was off and it was not the stupid light for the lean angle sensor. (it was a bit dicey)

I failed to realize I had some issues with my front wheel bearings. I drag my bike all over the place on the hitch of my truck and have done so at least once in what I would call a flood. I guess some water got past the bearing seals and this caused rust and the bearing to fail. This caused the wheel to deflect some while riding and warped the rotors. The replacement of the rotors was right at $1000 (dealer installed). PJ and I did the bearing while at is house. (so I saved some money on the labor but the bearings still came from BMW but they were sort of reasonable).

Other stuff is all maintenance oil, chain sprockets and valve adjustment. (note valve adjustment is every 18k miles and is just over $900.) I watched the videos and I'll gladly pay the $900 to avoid that. not to mention if I failed to do something right the engine would probably cost me $6k or more.

Let me tell you about my dealer. They are a tad expensive but they are great. I have been in the back handing my mechanic tools shooting the shit. They dropped everything they were doing to test ride my bike onetime and even swapped parts from my bike to a new bike to ensure that the issue (front wheel vibration was not the in the bearings or new brake rotors. This was all done with me just showing up asking them to give it a look on a Saturday morning. They are usually good to follow back up with a call and great to deal with in general. This is in great contrast to what was my old metric bike dealer who didn't even want to look at my 8 year old bike one time. (all they every got was my parts business, and now they are out of business and re opened under the Mountain Motorsports brand. (I'm not a fan).

I use the lithium battery that PJ sells and other than being a bit under powered on a really cold day it has been a great battery for the BMW. Probably good for another 3 mph in top speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollenron View Post
How cold does it have to get for that battery to start having problems btw, Cruzman?
I would never say it has problems in the cold. A group of 3 of us went to deals gap and the first night was wicked cold I believe low 30s upper 20s. The next morning I turned the key on, turned on my heated grips and plugged my heated gloves in. 3 or 4 minutes later I tried to start the bike. (not enough juice) Another couple of minutes of letting the drain on the battery warm it up and she started like a champ. (Its just a lithium thing)

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #43
Cruzman
ATGATT It's the only way 2 fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Dang David, that rotor and bearing stuff is a bitch. How do you drag the R around ? One wheel clamp and trailing in neutral ?
Glad it's sorted, I think book time for m/c techs is around $90 / hr. with little variation here. Beemer parts are pricey, the FJR was not cheap either though.

I have a great dealer also, boxer valves were $3oo ish including parts, firmware updates and being on the record for any warranty issues is worth it, no way a DIY would save uch here.
I was going to get the R to satisfy my I4 yearning, 9 bones seems expensive for a valve adjustment but have not researched the procedure. A Multistrada S dude told me his "yearly" service was $1800, better include a happy ending and detail for that $$$.

37,000 miles, nothing blew up or broke. Knocks on wood... let's ride !
I have one of those bike carriers where the bike sits sideways behind my truck. I like it better than a trailer no mishaps yet but 2 close calls. 1) was using cheap ratcheting tie downs with plan open hooks on the end. Made it to my destination to realize that 2 of the 6 straps I used had come loose. 2) made it home and realized my carrier was hanging kind of low. Seems some dumb ass failed to get the pin through the hitch correctly she sat behind my truck for 102 miles with nothing but gravity holding her on the bumper. (that could have been bad). This is what happens when you are up all the night before with food poisoning and are dragging ass the next day on auto pilot.

2001 FZ1000 "Stella" Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, 07 R1 Fork Swap with BrianG stem and AK20s, mini led turn signals, K&N filter, R6 rear shock conversion,Gauge of Eternal Coolness, 4 degree advancer mod, SS Brake-Lines
DanMoto Rearsets, Akrapovic slip-on [/color]
2014 BMW S1000R "Trixie"
Cruzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #44
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
The ride organizer has been in the industry for decades, J and Euro brands, in multiple roles. And is someone whose opinion holds more sway with me than all but a couple folks here. He's currently a BMW service writer.

When he noticed my interest he mouthed "NO!!!!". Then got back on his Honda. Later he went into more detail.

That squelched my interest in anything Beemer. YMMV
Though not surprised, the extra bummer is that I think BMW did a good job in the looks department with the new S 1000 XR.

But as it is based on the new S 1000 RR ... etc, etc, etc. BMW is one of those brands that I want to like, but I just can't get there.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #45
Wonger

It can get expensive, I'm sure, but the S1000XR is the best bike I've ever owned. A 3 year warranty helps and is better than the Japanese offerings. 2018 I had a valve drop on my FZ10 with 900 miles on it and put 5000 miles on my XR after trade-in, smiling all the way. Faster and more comfortable. Just with a lighter wallet. A used '16-'18 XR is going to be a fantastic purchase in another year. It's already a bargain, as they can be had easily around $12k. There are plenty of XR riders on those forums with big miles on them already. They've only been around for 3 years, but I see plenty of +50k miles on them.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion