register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #61
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
As a matter of fact, I do have some insight into the Seattle area, since that is where I live.

The summers are terrific. When it is sunny, it's gorgeous here! Typically it gets into the low 80's during the warmest parts of summer, late July through mid-August. It's not humid, so it's very pleasant. Late spring and early fall are great as well.

Everyone always says that it rains all the time in Seattle, but NYC actually gets more annual rainfall than Seattle. But the winters are gray and drizzly, with short days because it is so far north (the northernmost point in Maine is south of Seattle). Typical winter temps are lows in the high 30's with highs in the low 40's, a pretty narrow spread of temperatures. Lots of bikers ride all winter (including our own buzzerd here on the forum), you just need proper riding gear. Actual snow in the Seattle area is rare, but it does happen once or twice a year.

The good is that is a gorgeous area, with lots and lots of possibilities if you are into outdoor activities. Washington state is an incredible place, ranging from rainforest to desert, so the riding here is awesome. It's also pretty unbelievable three hours north in British Columbia and three hours south in Oregon, and five hours east in Idaho.

The bad is that the Seattle metro area has had explosive growth for the last decade, so it's very expensive here. Our house has doubled in value in the six years that we've lived in it. In Seattle itself, the only thing you'd be able to find under $400K is a really crappy condo. Rents are really high, too. Most of this has been driven by Amazon, who have brought lots of very highly paid employees into the area.

The further away from Seattle you go, the cheaper the housing, but if you work in Seattle, then you'll have a brutal commute. Because of the geography (Seattle is surrounded by water), they can't build more roads. Light rail is being built right now, but it'll be decades before it is a complete system.

Because of all that, traffic sucks in a major way. The homeless epidemic is a real thing here, too. Lots of people have been priced out of their homes, and nice places like Seattle tend to attract the homeless, so it's a very big issue.

The politics here are very liberal, but so what? Other than Texas, most of the other booming areas in the country are blue. Major cities with strong economies are expensive places to live, it's just how it is.

I hope that I haven't made Seattle sound like a bad place, because it isn't. I love living here, but when I retire in ten years or so, we'll probably move someplace less expensive. If the job at Amazon pays really well, this would be great city to start your professional life in.
Thanks for the info! Everyone says it's rainy but it's nice to hear from someone who actually lives there
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #62
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Legend has it, King Crimson once roundhouse kicked a moose while lane splitting at 150mph on his FZ10.
Oh man, a playmate is forming nicely. Its true, its true! It were on the interweb.
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #63
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I love the vids I have seen. Looks to be a Corkscrew type turn that looks sweet.
I've been in contact with Dylan Code on his thoughts as well, and he said it is actually longer than the one at Laguna.

We will be there mid july.
July is a good time to visit the PNW!

I've never been on track at Laguna Seca, but I'm guessing the Corkscrew is more of a real turn than the turn you are talking about at The Ridge. The Corkscrew is followed by a mid-speed turn that goes into a fast, kind of hairy right hander. At The Ridge, the turn is pretty slow (bottom of second gear in my Boxster) followed by a really tight left hand hairpin onto the straight. Not technical at all, at least in a car. It's the type of sequence that no matter what line you try, it just doesn't seem to be any quicker than just poking along through the turn. Following that sequence there is a flat-out (at least in a car) right-hand bend that you take as you enter the straight that's probably interesting on a bike.

For me, The Ridge isn't that technical, but it's challenging to learn because so many of the turns are blind in the first third of the lap. Once you can start stringing things together it's a pretty straight-forward track. In my opinion the toughest section to get right is the first two or three changes of direction going up the hill at the end of the main straight.

A friend of mine does bike track days there all the time, and he says it's pretty fun. None of the turns are very fast, so if you crash you aren't likely to get hurt or damage the bike too badly.

Since this is a photo thread, here is a shot of my Boxster on pre-grid at a track day at The Ridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ridge.jpg (109.9 KB, 47 views)
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #64
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

My year consulting for the DOT in Olympia: Apr-Aug one of my favorite places ever. Started to think about taking a permanent position there. Once the days got shorter and the faucet turned on decided it wasn't for me. Maybe it has less rain than NYC but I've turned down multiple job offers there so Carl needs to come up with a more attractive example to persuade me
Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #65
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I lived in Gwinnett county for years and much preferred the north Georgia mountains around Dahlonega and Suches to the Dragon or BRP.
But the area does have freezing winters, and usually snow. I'm a fair weather rider and it was still a good nine or ten month riding season for me.
I'll add info for GA. I rode the weekend before Christmas, and also the past two weekends. 50 degrees yesterday, with a 3-4 day cold spell coming, and then back to 50 by the end of the week.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion