register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #7061
bradd
Working away

C&D Drive Inn in Boardman OR in 2014 on our ride out to the west coast. It was a great trip, the sky in the picture is about what we had the whole trip. Good lunch stop too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c&d drive inn.jpg (147.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by bradd; 01-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
bradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #7062
okaugust
Notorious B I G

2/2 Now that one reminds me of....Wisconsin!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #7063
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
I was going to stop for a picture but I had a bald eagle in my car, but that's a story for another day.
What?
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #7064
okaugust
Notorious B I G

Well, now that I'm caught up, a segue for a moment.

Just after we ate dinner Wednesday, I got a message on the Audubon facebook page looking for help with an injured eagle. I'm on the Audubon board of our local chapter and a facebook admin. I called the fellow who found it. He had left a message with Game and Fish who had yet to call him back, of course, they still haven't called me back about a grebe we had stuck to the ice three months ago. So I called guts and feathers, and yep, no one home, called the rescue in Cody I've dealt with, Ironside Bird Rescue, she, Susan, gave me a game warden's cell. Voice mail. So out we go into the snowy, cold, dark night, meet the potential serial killer, Jeff (and another fellow who is on our board who runs a couple of other political minded wilderness groups got death threats via facebook, so I don't say that too lightly), who by now has gotten a call back from G&F but they pretty much didn't want to come out and deal with it, drive half a mile through a field, get out, navigate cows, trees, brush and logs, 5 degrees, 6" of snow, follow the eagles trail in the snow. You could see it's wing prints where it was pretty much swimming in snow by flashlight. Couldn't take off. There it was perched on a log. 2nd year juvenile bald eagle. Went back to the trucks, brought out two tubs we'd prepped for this for holes for air and holes for zip ties to tie the two together, tools, since we don't have a kennel, hiked back in. Mike went to throw the blanket over it and sort of froze as it started flapping around (it's a BIG animal), so I just reached in and grabbed it, eagle grabbed me, while Mike got the blanket over it's eyes. Into the makeshift kennel, cover on, wings tucked in, zip ties on. Call G&F, they say keep it overnight, figure it out in the morning. Call the rescue, she agrees, don't try to drive to Cody tonight. So we kept a bald eagle in the spare bedroom in two tubs. Then yesterday morning I drove to Shell, WY, over the mountains and snow, to meet Susan for the hand off.

These are photos of the eagle taken by Jeffrey Shanor, the guy who found it, used with permission. I think he found it during daylight, called G&F when he did, but they never called him back, so after dark, he started worrying it would freeze, which is why we got out there late.

Shane, female. Named after Shanor.

Note, if you can get this close to any wounded animal, you should reach out to local authorities or a licensed animal rehab vs trying to catch it yourself. Jeff did the right thing.

I didn't take any photos of the eagle when we got there, because it was dark and it was already alarmed by us and our flashlights, and I didn't want to spook it and cause it to try to flee.

Got to Susan, took off the top tub from the brown one. Susan is waiting with a towel. Eagle was so surprised it just blinked up at us for a second, and in a flash Susan had the hood on. Once a bird is hooded, it sort of ducks its head and just falls asleep. Susan said, "I always love how that happens." She started checking the wings. After we managed to wrench its new blankie out of its talons, she laid it out to see if she could find any wing damage. Look at the size of her thumb for comparison to the talons. Those talons were wrapped around my right arm and even with leather gloves and a heavy coat, my arm and hand are still sore, and one talon poked through the glove. Then you don't really want to stress them out and so it was off to the crate she keeps with her, a quick hug, a donation from me, and we were on our way.

Update on the bird is xrays show no broken bones, so that is good. At first the bird didn't seem to want to stand, but has been for about four hours now, so that's good too. It got two fish halves, so we're all hoping she eats and puts some weight on. It's possible lead poisoning from eating buckshot deer or fishing weights ingested by fish, which is sometimes treatable sometimes not.

Ironside works entirely off donations and grants from businesses. So, if you feel inclined, I'll tuck her facebook page here. Both Ironside and Bighorn Audubon are also on Amazon Smile.

https://www.facebook.com/ironsidebirdrescueinc/
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #7065
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

COOL story and pics! Thank you for helping it!

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #7066
okaugust
Notorious B I G

It was pretty darn cool.

Scary but cool!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #7067
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

We some breeding Balds in Rome, GA (at Berry College) that just laid an egg I read. Generally we have nothing that size around here. Lots of Redtail Hawks, Turkey Vultures, etc. Those talons give me goosebumps!

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #7068
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

Very cool, Tina.

Sign - #1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC Cola.jpg (287.5 KB, 37 views)
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Z Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #7069
okaugust
Notorious B I G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
We some breeding Balds in Rome, GA (at Berry College) that just laid an egg I read. Generally we have nothing that size around here. Lots of Redtail Hawks, Turkey Vultures, etc. Those talons give me goosebumps!
Eagles winter here. Saturday we are driving three routes (two folks couldn't make it) for BLM to count eagles. Last year in four hours we got 50. It's nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Grand View Post
Very cool, Tina.

Sign - #1
Thanks, and LOVE this, welcome to the game!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #7070
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

Sign - #2

Another RC Cola sign I ran across (somewhere?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCSign2.jpg (284.6 KB, 36 views)
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Z Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #7071
okaugust
Notorious B I G

I love old signs. I'd love to collect them, but it's probably better someone else is!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #7072
fz1azul

#1 - So, what's a Dollar worth, nowadays?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #7073
okaugust
Notorious B I G

FAKE ADVERTISING!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #7074
hammer
Inside Out

hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #7075
jredford
Musical Metal

Wow that eagle is so cool. Where do you keep it while it heals up?

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #7076
okaugust
Notorious B I G

Ironside, the rescue, has a full facility with flight cages, barns, etc. It's run by one woman and a couple of other folks, but she's the everything of the place. Runs all over WY and MT picking up birds, taking them to the vet, feeding, etc.

This was today's update: She's still alive. She now has a heat lamp above her pen and I've given her fluids. I also gave her an opened rat and she may have eaten some of it. It's moved from its original place. I'm waiting on word from the state lab about her blood work results.

And Hammer, showing some WY love!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #7077
hammer
Inside Out

My love for Wyoming is pure and true !
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #7078
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
There are a few eagles to be seen around here, lots of redtails, and in New Jersey turkeys have made a big comeback. They are know to fly low over the highway almost like running into a bowling ball thrown across the road.

One of my daughters friends brought around a female sparrow that was caught up in some twigs from a failed nest building project. I didn't have any gloves handy, so I chanced helping out barehanded. She threatened to peck me a few times but never did. A thorn got caught in her chest, I couldn't work it out, even after cutting the twig short, so I cut it off nearly flush, and let her fly away.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #7079
Banzai
10,000 Years

That bird rescue service sounds cool. Helping the raptors is something I wouldn't mind trying but first I have to move out of the city.

2 of 7. Marking Captain James Cook's 2nd landing spot in Australia (the place is called 1770) and also the southern end of Australia's great Barrier Reef. And what is on the lee side of that point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC Plaque.jpg (227.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1770 Pano_800.jpg (108.7 KB, 29 views)
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #7080
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Oh crap.. sorry! Signs is good....

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum