register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 10-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #41
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I switched to the Google keyboard some time back. Really like it.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #42
fermic37

Downloaded it earlier today on my 7. No issues. Everything still looks pretty much the same here.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #43
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown Chris View Post
imho you will eventually see a lawsuit with apple. I think their software is designed to slow older devices on purpose.

No evidence for it according to this.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/06...older-iphones/
Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #44
WDD

Anybody else having their battery drain faster after this update? Both my wife's 6+ and my 5s are getting to empty a lot faster after the update.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #45
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

On my work iPhone, when I did the 10.0 update it killed my work email, among other less serious annoying bugs. The issue with the email was that you could see a preview of the message, but when I tried to actually open the message, it would just give me a blank page. No one could figure it out, including Apple and my company’s IT department. The best solution was to download Outlook, which works fine.

On Friday my company IT department insisted that I update to 11.0.2, which I dutifully did. Now my company email will notify that I’ve received an email, but otherwise it is now completely nonfunctional. Again, the Microsoft Outlook works fine. Apple sucks rocks, Microsoft to the rescue!

Today I had to take a flight, and discovered that my boarding pass no longer is available when activating the screen. That’s one of the best things about my iPhone, in my book. Thanks again Apple for screwing that up as well. And yes, all the settings are correct.

Despite my hatred for Apple and everything they stand for, I did buy a 6s this weekend, which really fills me with self loathing! I bought it because I am too lazy to learn a new OS on the Samsung phone that I really wanted. But I now know to never update it!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #46
didier9

I have now “upgraded” to 11.0.2

One clear difference, this iPad mini now crashes regularly. I will be typing away and suddenly the tablet powers off. I rarely let the battery below 50% (an other nice feature of this tablet otherwise, the battery lasts forever)

Another thing, sometimes web pages do not load all the way and the browser crashes. The visible part of the screen is populated but when you scroll, the rest is blank. When that happens, the only solution is the power button, even though other apps seem to still be working. It does it with both safari and chrome, so it seems like it’s a problem with WebKit.

I simply never ever had these problems before, and I have had this tablet for over 2 and a half years.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #47
WDD

Odd question #2. Anybody having problems scrolling? When I'm in an app such as YouTube or even Mail, it will at times not scroll up or down.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #48
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Anybody else having their battery drain faster after this update? Both my wife's 6+ and my 5s are getting to empty a lot faster after the update.
I think so. Not sure. Gut feeling says yes.
But I always have an external battery with me so I never think much about it. I just plug it in when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Odd question #2. Anybody having problems scrolling? When I'm in an app such as YouTube or even Mail, it will at times not scroll up or down.
Have not noticed any issues there.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #49
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
I have now “upgraded” to 11.0.2

One clear difference, this iPad mini now crashes regularly. I will be typing away and suddenly the tablet powers off. I rarely let the battery below 50% (an other nice feature of this tablet otherwise, the battery lasts forever)

Another thing, sometimes web pages do not load all the way and the browser crashes. The visible part of the screen is populated but when you scroll, the rest is blank. When that happens, the only solution is the power button, even though other apps seem to still be working. It does it with both safari and chrome, so it seems like it’s a problem with WebKit.

I simply never ever had these problems before, and I have had this tablet for over 2 and a half years.
Most of the time where I've seen crashing issues it's due to a lack of memory (RAM not storage) that is the culprit. The newer iOS versions allow for more multi-tasking, especially on the iPad so memory is used differently and is more in demand from apps. Not sure if there is a way to turn off multitasking but you can try to close all open apps before opening another and see if that helps.
On initial install of iOS 11 on my 7+ and iPad Pro, I got some occasional freezes, specifically when in the app store app but since the second update it's been fine.
The bottom line is, it's an OS update, not unlike other platforms. It brings new features, capabilities and bugs. Older hardware doesn't always mesh well with it. Overall, I think Apple has done a good job of making an effort to support their legacy products where feasible. It's much worse on the Android side simply because there so many hardware variants and many of them run a customized flavor of the Android OS for that particular manufacturer.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #50
jredford
Musical Metal

Mine works fine w/o the upgrade.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #51
fermic37

New update last night. Did that one, didn’t notice any changes
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #52
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Fortunately Apple is very quick to address bugs/fixes, their strict code protocol at least makes it somewhat easy to maintain, unlike the Android free-for-all, as mentioned above. I'll put off the update as long as possible, just because I'm always a late adopter when it comes to this sort of stuff. By the time I update, they'll have most of the issues sorted.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #53
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I'll put off the update as long as possible, just because I'm always a late adopter when it comes to this sort of stuff. By the time I update, they'll have most of the issues sorted.
That's smart, particularly if you are reliant on your phone for work or other critical tasks. There's no compelling reason to upgrade unless you really want to leverage the AR features but since there aren't many apps for that yet (none that I would really say are great) waiting is a good strategy.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry