read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #41
flbusa
Pot Stirrer

Agree, football helmets are designed for multiple impacts where motorcycle helmets are designed for one impact. As for the foam... polystyrene foam aka Styrofoam will last 100+ years, it's the soft foam in the liner that goes bad.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #42
Duken4evr
Map Maven

So I recently bought a Bell Helmet to replace my long serving Shoei. The helmet police were threatening to arrest me, as the Shoei was 15 years old when it was replaced. It still looks like new inside and out too, has been well taken care of and cleaned many times over it's life using shampoo, and it is in no way gross or falling apart.

Now that I have a new helmet, I can finally publicly admit how old my Shoei was. The Shoei now sits on a shelf next to a previous Arai that it replaced, which has to be 25 or more years old by now. What the Hell are we supposed to do with these things?

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #43
Dean Dinnetz

That why I like helmets, where all the liners inside the helmet, can be replaced.

Just replaced the top liners in both of my Shoei RF1100's, and can tell the helmets now fit a bit tighter. Feel like new helmets.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #44
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Scribble Kenny Roberts on them in barely legible Sharpie and put on ebay.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #45
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Scribble Kenny Roberts on them in barely legible Sharpie and put on ebay.
Tis not a bad idea........

2008 Ducati Hyper
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #46
roundhouse

My arai is 7 years old. I bought a RF 1100 and my son took it over. I have a $200 AGV that was a gift but it does not fit my freakishly shaped head like the arai. I need to bite the bullet and just buy a new arai.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #47
glory racing

I have a long narrow head and Arai is the only brand I have found that fits comfortably all day. I do not want to spend $700 for a helmet so my Arai's get replaced when I find a good deal on one. One year, 6 years...whatever. I currently have a Profile that I wore for less than a year when a current Signet X became available.

Prior to that I wore a profile for several years. I am not sure I believe the 5 year replacement schedule the manufacturers suggest. They need you to buy the new and improved models ya know.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #48
_Will_

Replaced my RF1000 after wearing it for the better part of 9 years shortly after getting the FZ1. I was going to donate it to my brother in law's step son (he's 8 and thinks the FZ1 is the coolest thing) but the liner decided to start disintegrating and every time you put it on it leaves some of it with you and even more on the floor around you.

I replaced it with an Arai Quantum X, a hot spot developed on the forehead of the Quantum X on longer rides which eventually subsided once broken in. The Arai moves air better than the RF1000 but for put it one and forget it comfort the Shoei wins hand down. The Arai cracked on the rear spoiler and makes off whistling noises occasionally at certain head angles, it also buffets at high speeds with the air coming off my barn door of a windshield.

Next lid will probably be something from the Bell Star line, everything I've read looks like excellent value and they can be found for a nice price well below a Shoei or Arai.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #49
OldBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
I am not sure I believe the 5 year replacement schedule the manufacturers suggest. They need you to buy the new and improved models ya know.
Yes it's true that the manufacturers would like you to buy a new lid every five years. However, I was a project chemist many years ago and polyurethane foam and expanded polystyrene has not changed all that much in the years I left chemistry. The plasticizers used in the manufacture leach out over time making things brittle. Take my word for it that both materials DO break down over time. How much time is debatable depending on storage conditions, usage, ultraviolet exposure and personal sweat and body oils. Keeping it clean and inspecting often will help.

So a helmet bought new should easily last the five years and depending on usage and storage may even exceed that. That replacement interval is a suggestion and not a hard rule.

I for one replace my helmet every five to seven years once the internal padding starts to go flat.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #50
glory racing

Oh I have no doubts that they break down and degrade over time. I know I have degraded some in the last 5 years.

Jus sayin if it is more than 5 years till I find an affordable Arai replacement...I am good with it. Not gonna run out and drop $700-$800 on a new one in 5 years and a day.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #51
bplaxton

would you pay CDN$350 (~US$245) for an Arai Signet Q looks to be in nice shape with manufacture date 2012? Hard to find good deals
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #52
bplaxton

I tried on Icon Airmada, could barely squeeze on a size M but then it felt good once on. Again, almost impossible to get it off my head. Then tried on Arai Signet X, the medium actually felt a little loose. The lady measured my head and said its a 'small' by arai's measurement, that was a shocker as I always thought I was marginal between medium and large. Tried on the signet-X in small and it fit well, but again was really tough to get on and off. These are the options I'm considering currently for my long oval noggin.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #53
sloowpoke

The DOT standards haven't changed in a long time, so no matter what changes the manufacturers make, they still have to make all their helmet parts meet the same specs for performance that they met 30 years ago. The idea that new materials matter, is simply another marketing lie.

By my experience, the soft inner liner is the first thing to fail. I augment it with a cutoff hood from a fleece sweatshirt. Some helmets need the extra padding after less than a year, while others may go five years before the inner liner starts compacting. When the inner liner starts shedding fragments of soft foam, the helmet gets replaced. That hasn't happened in less than 7 years. I've had helmets last more than 20 years.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #54
Dean Dinnetz

And hence the reason, i now only purchase helmets, that can have all the inner lining replaced.

I now have three Shoei RF1100's, that i have recently replaced all the top linning in, all three helmets. The three helmets, now feel like new helmets, fit wise. And Shoei large size helmets, seem to fit my head, very well.

Won't be too long, before a new Shoei RF1200, joins the helmet herd here. lol! Can't have too many helmets, i say! How many pair of shoes do you all have? lol!

Dean

P.S. And i have a new pair of "Rossi" brand road racing boots coming with pal Tony Ward, when the "Pommie" pops over soon from Perth, Western Australia. He is coming over for the Valley of Death Ride, in the first part of this March.
9500 miles he will travel, just to go for a ride in the desert! Said ride has been going on now, every year, for 43 years straight! lol! Ride of the year, gang! lol!

Last edited by Dean Dinnetz; 01-05-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #55
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplaxton View Post
I tried on Icon Airmada, could barely squeeze on a size M but then it felt good once on. Again, almost impossible to get it off my head. Then tried on Arai Signet X, the medium actually felt a little loose. The lady measured my head and said its a 'small' by arai's measurement, that was a shocker as I always thought I was marginal between medium and large. Tried on the signet-X in small and it fit well, but again was really tough to get on and off. These are the options I'm considering currently for my long oval noggin.
The tight fit when getting a helmet on and off seems to be a trend that I suspect is related to road noise. People care about how loud a helmet is and one which forms a tighter seal around your head will block more wind noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post

Won't be too long, before a new Shoei RF1200, joins the helmet herd here. lol! Can't have too many helmets, i say! How many pair of shoes do you all have? lol!

Dean
Currently fighting the urge to pick up an RF1200, the diabolic graphic which my ancient first Shoei has is 339 from good old newenough right now. As mentioned I'm not in love with my Quantum X compared to my rf1k.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #56
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
Currently fighting the urge to pick up an RF1200,
I've had the RF1200 for a year now and my head must not be the right shape for it or something because I sweat like a pig when wearing that thing. I remember having a much easier time with my old Qwest.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #57
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I've had the RF1200 for a year now and my head must not be the right shape for it or something because I sweat like a pig when wearing that thing. I remember having a much easier time with my old Qwest.
I did sweat more in my rf1000 than my Quantum X, I may hold off and wait till the race star goes back on sale. Their 3 layer flex liner and larger eye port sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #58
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:

The RF1200 has a slightly smaller outside shell, with the inside a bit tighter on the sides, also.

My Shoei Qwest, and my three RF1100's, are easier to put on/off than the RF1200. I think the 1200, is more race oriented than the Qwest, or my 1100'S.
That being said, i would not mind having a new 1200. We shall see.

Dean
Old 01-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #59
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
I did sweat more in my rf1000 than my Quantum X, I may hold off and wait till the race star goes back on sale. Their 3 layer flex liner and larger eye port sounds like a good idea to me.
If you want a lid that vents VERY well when needed, but will also seal and be quiet when needed, maybe look at the GT Air. Bought my son one for Christmas after trying on everything at CG. For him, everything else was a distant second on fit/comfort, even the RF1200. Look for deals though, they are stupid expensive. I got mine a few years ago with a nice graphic, new, for under $400. His.....much more!

Also, I had a strange issue with the original visor with lots of internal reflections which was worse at night with headlights/taillights. I recently picked up a new visor and it is now no worse than the other helmet brands I have.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #60
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmax View Post
5 years or 1 crash, whichever comes first.
Agreed. I follow this.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear