register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
sparky80

Having just bought another house in November, that process is still fresh to me as well. Think being only a couple hours west of you might help you out as well. Couple things to consider....

If you plan on selling the house anytime, resale value is obviously key. A 1 bath house is typically a bit harder to sell, so finding your standard 3/2/2 (bed, bath,garage) is somewhat and sometimes typical.

Property taxes are high in Texas so consider where the house is, what school zone its in and if in or outside city limits. Being outside has it perks as you don't have to pay all the taxes but often have to have separate water companies, septic tanks, and other "niceities" not found in the city. For resale, consider a better school zone, but those often come with higher starting prices.

Everything is perspective though depending on what you feel you can afford. Being single, I personally would not even remotely consider doing anything legally with a girlfriend... meaning that she shouldn't be on any paperwork for a house. Things go bad quick if relationships end and there is property involved.

We got our realtor based on the recommendation from some great folks at our church. It happened to be their daughter and she is highly regarded as being an honest gal, though not the top realtor in Abilene or even close.

There are so many types of loans depending on what you can put down and your credit score. It doesn't hurt to shop around and compare rates. We did that but ended up going with a local broker as the process was so much easier than even USAA or QuickenLoans. We tried both but my wife and I are old school and prefer to deal in person, not online for everything.

Research the house you're interested in. Depending on the county, you can find the property tax value and who owned the place and for how long. I facebook stalked every persons house i was interested in. I wanted to see what kind of person lived there and sometimes you can gauge if they are decent folks and took care of the place.

One last thing that i learned and wont do again. I won't buy a house in Texas that faces west. That afternoon sun is brutal and miserable... so trying to keep the house cool can be a challenge.

I paid 199,900 for my house and don't mind sharing my mortgage details and everything else if you're inclined. We bought it as a rental income for now so there's a few differences but the basics should be the same.

In any event, follow your heart and pick what you can live with... the first house is rarely a forever home so having a perfect home isn't needed. However, one thing you can't change... location. Best to have the smallest house in a nice neighborhood than the biggest house in a crappy one. Good luck Jake.

That at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:10-11

I don't like texas... missing California!
sparky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #22
Duken4evr
Map Maven

2nd the location statement in Sparky's post. My first home was nice, but not in a great location. That was a mistake I won't make again.

There is a great feeling that comes with owning your home. Over time RE can be a path to wealth accumulation, it was for me. The thing is a home that you own is your place, not someone else's. Having your own place is priceless.

Finally, the realtors and banks will try to suck you in over your head as they make more money that way. Don't let them - keep some financial margin. That way when a killer bike deal comes up, you can take advantage!

Have not been through this personally, but knew people who did have it happen - chances are good whomever you marry will want a different house. Chicks are funny that way

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #23
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

More garage. Less house.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #24
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

I'm seeing some good advice here that I'm pocketing for myself. You all are inspiring! Wiley, you're my hero. Well done. I know others here have played it smart, too.

Jake, I have little advice as I have little experience. But I agree it would be nice to have my very own house. Maybe just have a look at the market trend for the house you are planning to buy; I'm a little wary of buying right now, but not everywhere has sprung up in value the way that CA/Denver area/Seattle area have. The area you are looking at might be stable if things dip, or won't dip much, and it sounds like you are in for the long haul and are planning to buy below your means. Sounds smart to me.

Other than that, I like what Torch said. ^
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #25
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

Ditch the apartment, don't buy a house. Air BnB it for a while being as you're gone 2 weeks at a time. No sense in paying rent/mortgage on a place you're not living for half a month. You can find someone on Air BnB and just lock them in for the given weeks you need well ahead of time, especially if you know your schedule far enough in advance.

The downfall with a house, when you're not there for 2 weeks at a time, when something breaks and starts leaking no one is there to catch it. Plus they're a pain in the ass. Someone has to mow the lawn every weeek etc.

Take the 2 weeks of no living expenses and save it. One day when you're done in the oil fields you'll have a nice chunk of change and you can buy something with a helluva lot more down than $5-$10k. Then you can buy what you want, where you want.

If you need storage, rent a unit for $50-80 a month to store your stuff.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #26
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Definitely was thinking I’d stay under 150K. I want all my house related payments and such to be under or close to 1K$ a month.
Just for reference, my house was 155K. My monthly escrow payment is $1040. I didn't have 20% to put down, only put 10% so that includes PMI, property tax, the mortgage payment and home owners insurance. That doesn't include gas, electricity, internet, garbage, sewer/water (I have septic/well though). If you factor all those other costs and utilities in its closer to $1300 a month +/- $100 depending on weather. I got a 30 year mortgage with a 4.375 interest rate. Now I'm not sure how property tax compares from Michigan (my yearly taxes is around $1700) to Texas, but just wanted to give you a ball park of what my roughly 150k house has for fixed costs per month. I like to budget $200 a month for maintenance related items. This amount has worked out well for me so far.

Sounds like you got the right mentality about this and know what you are looking to spend. It sure is tempting to start pushing that limit of what you are willing to spend higher. Especially when you have been looking for a while and can't seem to find something in your price range. We were approved for 275k, but set our budget at 175k. Our financial situation would have been so much worse if we pushed our spending limit out to the upper end of what we were approved for.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #27
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
Also, don't sign exclusive representation agreements with a Realtor, or you'll be contractually obligated to use them if you end up not liking them. If they don't feel they can earn your business without a contract, then they suck at being a Realtor.
Excellent advice. I've used/paid a realtor once and hope never to again. Recently bought 75 acres and saw the 10% the sellers paid to someone who did absolutely nothing other than listing.

It blows my mind that so many people think using a realtor is even required. First two house purchases I did were lease with option to buy deals, which I did. No realtors at all, just started paying rent then my down payment was covered after one year in each. Not traditional, but an excellent way to buy with flexibility, when the owner is agreeable. (Substantially reduces your potential market size.)
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
organ donor

Expanding on Dbl K's post:

Something to consider would be the purchase of a lightly used toy hauler camper parked in a RV park or mobile home park and put it half way between the girlfriend and work or pull it back and forth, assuming you have a truck that could pull it. I have a buddy who is a welder/fabricator that works a lot of oil fields and that's what he does. When he's home he parks it at his parents' place. Park rents are going to be a lot cheaper than an apt. and you will always have your bike with you. Save money until you figure out where you're going to end up. I could live like that no problem, but certainly not for everyone.
organ donor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #29
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl K View Post
Ditch the apartment, don't buy a house. Air BnB it for a while being as you're gone 2 weeks at a time. No sense in paying rent/mortgage on a place you're not living for half a month. You can find someone on Air BnB and just lock them in for the given weeks you need well ahead of time, especially if you know your schedule far enough in advance.

The downfall with a house, when you're not there for 2 weeks at a time, when something breaks and starts leaking no one is there to catch it. Plus they're a pain in the ass. Someone has to mow the lawn every weeek etc.

Take the 2 weeks of no living expenses and save it. One day when you're done in the oil fields you'll have a nice chunk of change and you can buy something with a helluva lot more down than $5-$10k. Then you can buy what you want, where you want.

If you need storage, rent a unit for $50-80 a month to store your stuff.
That’s really not an option, no one would put up with having 2 vehicles and 1’pr more bikes around when I’m not working, also I like having a home base and again, I have a truck, car, bike, and another cash bike I’m gonna flip. Ideally, I like what you’re saying.
But practically, I don’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubswinks View Post
Just for reference, my house was 155K. My monthly escrow payment is $1040. I didn't have 20% to put down, only put 10% so that includes PMI, property tax, the mortgage payment and home owners insurance. That doesn't include gas, electricity, internet, garbage, sewer/water (I have septic/well though). If you factor all those other costs and utilities in its closer to $1300 a month +/- $100 depending on weather. I got a 30 year mortgage with a 4.375 interest rate. Now I'm not sure how property tax compares from Michigan (my yearly taxes is around $1700) to Texas, but just wanted to give you a ball park of what my roughly 150k house has for fixed costs per month. I like to budget $200 a month for maintenance related items. This amount has worked out well for me so far.

Sounds like you got the right mentality about this and know what you are looking to spend. It sure is tempting to start pushing that limit of what you are willing to spend higher. Especially when you have been looking for a while and can't seem to find something in your price range. We were approved for 275k, but set our budget at 175k. Our financial situation would have been so much worse if we pushed our spending limit out to the upper end of what we were approved for.
Excellent info. The real estate agent I called said that the first 5-7 years of payment is basically on interest. This sounded like some real estate agent bullshit. Obviously a portion of each monthly payment goes towards principal AND interest at the same time. Unless things are ass backwards with mortgage loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Expanding on Dbl K's post:

Something to consider would be the purchase of a lightly used toy hauler camper parked in a RV park or mobile home park and put it half way between the girlfriend and work or pull it back and forth, assuming you have a truck that could pull it. I have a buddy who is a welder/fabricator that works a lot of oil fields and that's what he does. When he's home he parks it at his parents' place. Park rents are going to be a lot cheaper than an apt. and you will always have your bike with you. Save money until you figure out where you're going to end up. I could live like that no problem, but certainly not for everyone.
Honestly, the girlfriend is a non factor in the end besides maybe wanting to stay with the N Texas region. More so driven by the fact I would have jobs/job leads if the oilfield doesn’t last longer than 2 years or so.

Have considered the RV route but 1. Wouldn’t really work for above reasons and 2. My little Dodge Ram 1500 with the crap V6 can’t pull anything really.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #30
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Excellent info. The real estate agent I called said that the first 5-7 years of payment is basically on interest. This sounded like some real estate agent bullshit. Obviously a portion of each monthly payment goes towards principal AND interest at the same time. Unless things are ass backwards with mortgage loans.
Well a lot of that depends on what mortgage you go with I suppose. If you do a 30 year mortgage, its not completely wrong. Obviously it isn't completely paying interest, otherwise the principal would never get paid down, but a large majority does go to interest. I'd have to check, but I think for the first few years about 25% of the payment goes to principal, 75% to interest. I bought my house 4.5 years ago, and have paid down the principal around 20k. I used to pay a $100-200 extra a month earlier on, but since having two kids and extra expenses I've haven't made many extra payments in the last two years. The huge thing is in the last 4.5 years, the property value has gone up from 155k to over 200k. I suppose there is also a chance it could go the other way. So there is a decent amount to think about. Definitely pros and cons with both buying and renting.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #31
glory racing

Lots to consider when purchasing property. Most important IMO is buying right. Do enough research to know what properties in a given area should/will sell for. Then find a property in a situation that allows a purchase below market value. Obviously the further below the better. Read that paragraph again.

Have at least 20% down so PMI is not necessary. If you don't it will cost you about $100 month and it is wasted money. Once you think you have found a decent property at a good price, have someone do a complete inspection. Don't rely on the lenders inspection and/or appraisal.

If you are curious about principal/interest, look at an amortization schedule to see how your monthly payment is allocated. A simple online search will provide all you need to know. Roughly on a $100k loan 100 will go to principal and 500 to interest.

Also, no need to read the 20 pages of crap that you will get at closing. All it says is you have the right to make the monthly payment. ;-)

Is is it a good idea to buy property rather than rent? If you buy right...hell yes! The best properties are the ones that are structurally sound but need cosmetic help.

Do your research.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #32
reubswinks

They make a lot of cool excel templates that you can mess around with to get an idea of how much money you pay over the entire mortgage to interest, principal, etc. You can play with extra payments to see how much you can save in the long term if you pay an extra $1000 here of there, etc.
I used this template.
https://templates.office.com/en-SG/L...nts-TM06206283
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #33
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Have at least 20% down so PMI is not necessary. If you don't it will cost you about $100 month and it is wasted money.
While good in theory, its not always practical. The rent I was paying for my apartment before I bought was actually more expensive than my mortgage. So the added PMI was not a big deal, and I could get into the house earlier. You can also apply to have the PMI removed once you get the principal balance to 80% of the value of the home. Depending on the market, the house you buy can go up in value and all you may need to do is get the house reappraised and you can have it removed in no time. So yes, it is sort of a waste of money, but its not always practical or the right choice to wait till you have 20% to put down.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #34
Bittzz

I'll throw my two cents in. Check out Credit Unions versus Banks. I have always found better rates and closing costs and friendlier service at my local Credit Unions. YMMV. The other thing that i would throw in here is don't be rushed to buy the house. Yes, you are in a pickle because the buddy is moving out, but if you buy a house because you have to, you are most likely going to end up in a house that you settled for more than really wanted. This is a long term investment so make sure you are getting what you want. Like others have said if you are staying in it less than five years than you should really be looking at renting instead of buying.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #35
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Actually its a lot worse then that, Bankrate.com has lots of fun calculators for mortgage consideration. The default they have when you pull up the page is for a $200k home with $40k down so a 160k loan. It will be 13 years before you are paying more in principal then you are in interest in their example. 13 F--KING YEARS where you are paying more to the bank then you are paying the bank off. Wonder why people can never get ahead? Also, that 200k house that you took out a 160k loan on for 30 years? at a 4.3% interest rate if you go full term you will repay the 160k principle, AND 128k IN INTEREST! The 200k home will have cost you 200k+128k= 328k! Lastly, if you do go a traditional home loan route, set up your payments to be made twice a month, paying half the amount due each time, it will take 4 years off a 30 year mortgage, because your making 13 payments a year instead of 12. Here is the link to the bankrate example. prepare to be nauseated.
https://www.bankrate.com/https:/calc...SADEgI1XPD_BwE
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #36
glory racing

If you can buy right it does not matter if you will be in the house for at least 5 years. 5 years of rent is a lot of money down the drain so don't let this one factor scare you. I got transferred around the country and purchased/stayed in homes for only a year or two a couple of different times. Made money on all of them. Just like used motorcycles or anything else, You gotta buy right.

The best brokers/agents in the market usually buy homes simply to rent and/or immediately resell...that is because they know a good buy when it comes available. You can do that too with some time and dedicated research.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #37
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
Actually its a lot worse then that, Bankrate.com has lots of fun calculators for mortgage consideration. The default they have when you pull up the page is for a $200k home with $40k down so a 160k loan. It will be 13 years before you are paying more in principal then you are in interest in their example. 13 F--KING YEARS where you are paying more to the bank then you are paying the bank off. Wonder why people can never get ahead? Also, that 200k house that you took out a 160k loan on for 30 years? at a 4.3% interest rate if you go full term you will repay the 160k principle, AND 128k IN INTEREST! The 200k home will have cost you 200k+128k= 328k! Lastly, if you do go a traditional home loan route, set up your payments to be made twice a month, paying half the amount due each time, it will take 4 years off a 30 year mortgage, because your making 13 payments a year instead of 12. Here is the link to the bankrate example. prepare to be nauseated.
https://www.bankrate.com/https:/calc...SADEgI1XPD_BwE
Yep, I call the high interest/low principle at the beginning of a mortgage the "dumb end of the curve". People buy, sell, refinance so much, if one is not careful, they are always on the dumb end of the curve.

Some lenders have refi products that keep the term left in your loan. Say you are 9 years into a 30 year mortgage, when you refi, you could take a 21 year loan. This is far better than starting over with a new 30 year note, which will have a lower payment, but resets the interest back to the fully dumb end of the curve.

Also mortgage free here, but have to admit I "cheated". Sold the CA house and paid cash for the CO house in '04 with the tax free equity gain. Lots of financial people say not to do that, but it is priceless to not owe interest on a mortgage and be able to put the "mortgage payment" into investments / college fund instead, dollar cost averaging through the recession and on into the greatest bull market in history. All this cuz I bought a house in a semi crummy area of CA back in '95. You never know where life will lead us. There was good discipline but no real genius on my part, but the way I look at it was being invested in real estate allowed me to capitalize on something I had no idea was coming when I bought in. Just making disciplined and "right" decisions on a regular basis over a long period of time matters greatly, the lesson being there is generally no quick way to do it, but ya gotta buy a ticket to have a shot at winning the game

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #38
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I had a client/friend I sold a home for when they were divorcing. They had lived in the home for 23 years. They had paid $121k for the home 23 years ago. when we sold it, they owed $156k........Moral of the story is dont cash out equity if you refinance into a "better deal"
Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #39
glory racing

Yep...same thing that some car dealers do to buyers who are to focused simply on monthly payment. "look at my pretty new vehicle...and it's less than my old car!"

Easy for me to say as I drive an '03 truck.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #40
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Yep...same thing that some car dealers do to buyers who are to focused simply on monthly payment. "look at my pretty new vehicle...and it's less than my old car!"

Easy for me to say as I drive an '03 truck.
You know you can finance cars for 10 years now???

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion