register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #41
Bill A
Ądn ,uıʞool sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

I was fined $200 for "storing" a car in my garage.
"Storing" was defined as not being driven for 72 hours.

I replied that it wasn't true. I drove my car almost every day, and I asked them to provide evidence that my car was being "stored".

They replied that they did not have to provide evidence...that if i was unable to prove that I had been driving my car regularly, i would be fined.

Of course i was unable to prove my case and I was fined.

Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #42
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
HOAs are the debil.

If you move into one, well good luck. You knew what could happen.
Prefer my HOA (less than one sheet of reasonable restrictions that I read before deciding to buy here) to crazy anal landlords

Just sayin'
Old 01-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
Banzai
10,000 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
I was fined $200 for "storing" a car in my garage.
"Storing" was defined as not being driven for 72 hours.
That is the most ridiculous rule I've ever heard of. When you have multiple vehicles, it is easy not to drive one for a few days or even a few weeks. I have insurance that limits one of my cars to only being driven about 100 days a year or an average of twice a week. That is generous for a lot of historic and collector vehicles. We have "Historic" vehicle registration schemes that only allow a car to be driven about 50 days a year.

What happens if you go away for a couple of weeks by train or plane or in someone else's car? Better not get sick and laid up in bed or hospital for a week. You will fall foul of that ridiculous rule.

I can see the point if people have unregistered clunkers in the yard or on the driveway but secured in a garage should not be an issue.

Are these HOAs very common in America? I've never heard of them in Australia for standalone housing. Apartment, townhouse and retirement villa complexes have Strata or Bodies Corporate that have rules but enforcement is usually pretty lax.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #44
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Prefer my HOA (less than one sheet of reasonable restrictions that I read before deciding to buy here) to crazy anal landlords

Just sayin'
Oh I get that.

But when you're a renter you have no idea what your landlord will be like. Just goes with the territory.

Yes mine are "crazy" but at the same time this is probably my favorite place I've lived in.

When I was in Davis I had a landlord AND a HOA. I had no idea there was a HOA when I moved in. Landlord was cool. "oh your dog ate the linoleum in the kitchen? Ok. No problem. Just have it fixed. "

Davis Landlord calls me one day. "HOA member says you have dog food dishes in the front yard. "

Assholes. One was sitting by the front door. No way to see it unless you walked up there.

The place I grew up in has no HOA and the people have kept that neighborhood looking great for 50 years now.

Fvck HOAs!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #45
Bill A

Quote:
No way to see it unless you walked up there.
I came home one afternoon to see an HOA officer on my porch with a clipboard in his hand, looking for cracked or faded paint under the eaves. Then he wanted to inspect my back lawn for dry spots. We checked out okay that day.

They fined me on another occasion for a report that my teenage son rode his bicycle across a neighbor's lawn. We were in Sequoia National Park the week the offense took place, and the description of the neither the bike nor the kid matched my son. But I was unable to satisfactorily prove my innocence so they fined me.

(How do I prove it wasn't my son? I told them we were out of town at the time, and that my son's bike was not like the one described. They replied that i could "just be saying that" and fined me).

ONE MORE...
(we paid a number of fines)
We had a tree in the middle of the front yard with a planter around it. The planter had small flowers planted in it (the typical home depot decoration flowers). A couple of the flower plants died and Alana replaced them with new, fresh, flowering plants of the exact same type.

Someone from the HOA saw her planting the flowers and fined us for violating the procedure. The "landscaping" procedure required us to hire an architect to draw up a proposal, submit the proposal to the board for approval, only then could we plant a flower, which subsequently had to be inspected by a HOA officer to confirm that the final product corresponded to the plan they approved.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #46
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
I had no idea there was a HOA when I moved in
Davis Landlord calls me one day. "HOA member says you have dog food dishes in the front yard. "

Fvck HOAs!!!
Your landlord not telling you there are rules you're going to have to deal with is a problem. Had you known you probably would have put the dishes elsewhere.

My neighbor ratted me out to city code enforcement for something stupid. Fvck cities!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #47
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Yeah. Ok. I'm gonna leave it alone.

Fvck HOAs. Ill never own a house where one exists.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #48
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
I came home one afternoon to see an HOA officer on my porch with a clipboard in his hand, looking for cracked or faded paint under the eaves. Then he wanted to inspect my back lawn for dry spots. We checked out okay that day.

They fined me on another occasion for a report that my teenage son rode his bicycle across a neighbor's lawn. We were in Sequoia National Park the week the offense took place, and the description of the neither the bike nor the kid matched my son. But I was unable to satisfactorily prove my innocence so they fined me.

(How do I prove it wasn't my son? I told them we were out of town at the time, and that my son's bike was not like the one described. They replied that i could "just be saying that" and fined me).

ONE MORE...
We had a tree in the middle of the front yard with a planter around it. The planter had small flowers planted in it (the typical home depot decoration flowers). A couple of the flower plants died and Alana replaced them with new, fresh, flowering plants of the exact same type.

Someone from the HOA saw her planting the flowers and fined us for violating the procedure. The "landscaping" procedure required us to hire an architect to draw up a proposal, submit the proposal to the board for approval, only then could we plant a flower, which subsequently had to be inspected by a HOA officer to confirm that the final product corresponded to the plan they approved.
The levity you're adding to this thread is priceless.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #49
Bill A

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
The levity you're adding to this thread is priceless.
garage doors...
I scoff! Ha!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #50
Dunesgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
I used to think "no one is going to tell me what to do with my property" too, until the neighbor across the street started parking cars in the yard because the boat took up too much space parked crooked in the driveway. For an OCD person like me, that was murder to see every day.
I can agree with that, but it's those kinds of things that city code enforcement takes care of. City code in my town doesn't allow for parking anywhere but where there is asphalt or concrete (most areas don't allow for vehicle parking on the street overnight also). Vehicles, RVs, trailers, etc, must be current on their tags. Fences can only be four feet high past the front of the house. They must be in good repair. No cracking paint or rotten wood on houses or fence. Have to get a permit to build a large shed or detached garage to make sure its proposed location and the build follows city code. Yards/landscaping must be 50% grass. Grass must be cut shorter than six inches. No excessive/tall weeds. No gardens in the front yard. Bushes must be pruned. Sidewalks must be shoveled in the winter.

Neighborhoods can be kept beautiful without the need of an HOA. Even old ones like mine. But I do believe many HOAs aren't over the top with their rules. Many HOAs cover exterior maintenance in townhouse/condo complexes and help enforce standards in common areas.

Quote:
ONE MORE...

That's just ridiculous. Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
Dunesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #51
okaugust
Spring!!!

Where I used to live, code enforcement was as nuts as an HOA. When I bought that house, DAY ONE after moving in, I took off work and was trying to clean out the weeds from all of the huge rock beds that had been let go, and there was code enforcement at the door, me standing there all sweaty and covered in green, explaining I just moved in yesterday and was already working on it.

But when I called in a vehicle parked in the middle of a T intersection, nothing they could do about it?

It sort of depended on if the code enforcer felt like doing something it seemed.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion