click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #10081
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Been in at least 20 stores the last few weeks. Still zero TP.
That's just nuckin futs!
Since Walmart made the 1st hour Tuesday morning opening for 60+ yo, I thought it might be worth the trip. Our neighborhood grocery store also had a limited supply of one brand when I shopped this morning, so hopefully it will become < soon.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #10082
jredford
Musical Metal

Def crazy out there, went to Costco and it was a train wreck.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #10083
okaugust
This is the way

Well, as we are still in one of the few states not on a required shelter in place, and even when most folks are staying home the town looks pretty much the same, out we went.

Two weeks ago Mike and I go up early following as close as possible grouse lek protocol (get there before dawn, don't get out of the blind or car, wait until the activity is over. No grouse. Last year there were none also, so I was getting worried it got decimated by cow, coyotes and foxes.

Well, this lek is usually half spread across a dirt road that, while it gets little traffic, the birds seem a little used to it. We got up at 5:08, left the house about an hour later. Sun was up when we got there, but darned if the little suckers weren't out there just struttin' their stuff like Saturday night at the disco! Wooo!

I have a hard time picking out a couple, so forgive me while I indulge a little.

This guy was pretty handsome, but he got ran off the parade grounds.

The whole lek was full of big dudes going bloop bloop bloop. I was pretty happy with the shots because, yes, I was out of the car, and standing on the icy round side of an old log, shivering in a brisk 30 degree WY morning wind, shooting free hand, for the most part over 100 yds away.

This one has a female to his left. The females just peck around like they are bored with it all. Of course.

Oddly, aggression seems rare, but once it a while it happens. These two were squaring off.

Okay okay, I'm GOING!

Female, great camo no?

This guy way out was the king shiznit, with lots of hens about.

This was the fellow who got run off the lek. He's sulking. He was the one that was closest to us, maybe 50 yds.

Again, amazing camo. When we went out for them two years ago, my friend and I were sitting in the car on the road and just waiting and hoping. Nothing. Nothing moving. Nothing to see. Then they started to move, and it's like they just appear out of thin air.

This was the poor guy making his retreat.

And again, forgive my lousy video skills and blame it on trying to balance on an icy log.

Unfortunately the wind noise doesn't allow the bloop bloop sound to come through. And Youtube no longer has a stabilize option.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #10084
okaugust
This is the way

After that we drove the long, long way back to Buffalo WY for a walk at Mountain Plains Heritage Park.

Lots of nice horses out that way.

Though the deer outnumber them 100 to 1.

Northern Flicker

Western Meadowlark

Northern Pintail at the park. Maybe one of my top five ducks, after Long-tailed Ducks, Wood Ducks and a couple others I'm forgetting...

A "rare" Marsh Wren, blinking! Marsh Wrens sort of overshoot WY. They migrate through. Some stay in southern WY, a lot end up in MT for breeding, but you don't seem to get a ton of them that stay through breeding season in the rest of Wyoming.

Green-winged Teal with a flipper scratching that ol' itch.

A good amount of American Kestrels out today too. Kestrels are in the falcon family. They have spots, stripes, orange-reds, blues, and are wonderfully striking little birds. Since they are pretty common, they get overlooked a lot out of habit. But still one of my faves.

Happy weekend from Wyoming! I am working remote now, so my wings have been clipped a bit, but the sun is coming out after three days of snow and cold, so hopefully I'll have some afternoon time to explore.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #10085
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

I laugh everytime I see mule deer. Love watching them run.
Boing boing boing...
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #10086
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Once again, fantastic shots, Tina!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #10087
okaugust
This is the way

Thanks for going along with me.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #10088
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Look at da grouse! Look at da grouse! nyuck nyuck nyuck...........Curly.

More smiles, thank you. Stunning.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #10089
KBay84

That type gait is actually called "stotting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I laugh everytime I see mule deer. Love watching them run.
Boing boing boing...

“Try to fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not prove they are a citizen.”

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum
KBay84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #10090
okaugust
This is the way

Yesterday was a good day for big flappy things in the sky. I saw one of the first Turkey Vultures over the house, went out and got a fly over by the vulture, Red-tailed Hawk and a Great Blue Heron all at once.

<----Shakes fist in the air and says "you won't get me yet!"

Went for a walk in the neighborhood after work today. Aside from some dismay that they've opened one of the three nine hole golf courses (denial ain't a river in Egypt folks) I did find a lovely little mink that did some posing for me.

The nice thing about these little guys is they are moderately fearless and infinitely curious.

Life is good when you are getting a low five from a weasel.

Got a couple of birds too. Of course. Are you sick of birds yet? Well post something of your own then dammit!

Song Sparrow

Wood Duck!

Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #10091
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
Got a couple of birds too. Of course. Are you sick of birds yet? Well post something of your own then dammit!
Well, then ... I will!

I tried to talk Mrs fz1azul to stand closer to the pelican for a photo ... that's as close as she would get.

All taken March 1st, before all the hunker-down chit started.

Last edited by fz1azul; 04-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.
fz1azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #10092
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Since this is "the random photo thread', I'm posting up some random photos that I found on my SD card. I call this series "Places none of us will be visiting anytime soon."

Mission San Jose -

The outer walls of the compound were also the back wall to the Indian quarters..

Up the Mission Trail a few miles is Mission Concepcion .. (under renovation)

Wall frescos in a side chamber

Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #10093
okaugust
This is the way

Awesome!

Smugmug went down for a few minutes a couple of nights ago. I said, "meanwhile, people stuck at home are going through the memory cards with 8000 photos from trips the last 5 years...."
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #10094
okaugust
This is the way

Yesterday morning, moonset over the Bighorns.

Then yesterday evening I ran out and did my second trip through one of the owl surveys, solo. The trip turned out to be a real turkey. Meaning, about the only birds I saw were one Turkey Vulture and...wait...what...100 Wild Turkeys? Holy crap, I mean, I know we have them all over here, but I've never seen 100 in one place before. It is, like the grouse, breeding season though.

There were two large males with most of the females on one side of the road, then another group of about five miles and five females on the other. It was hard to get a shot of them as they were all strung out in the field, and I was on a time limit with each stop, but the big guy had game.

Mr Across the Street was quite the contender too.

Anyway, I've had this route for I think three, maybe four years now, and never seen an owl yet. I think there is just too much human and cow activity out there, though one of the ranchers out there who used to work for Game & Fish said he's seen them out there. (We always have at least one chat with one rancher each year.)

The survey tracks habitat, one of the key pieces they are researching is effects on breeding based on what's going on with the habitat. While I think one of the initial thoughts was more human activity might be detrimental to the owls, one of the things the study has found is areas with pastured cattle actually has a good number of owls. Personally I think the cows and their fodder attract mice which attract the owls. The flip side of that is an area that is way over grazed doesn't offer enough cover and so I think we find less owls. The place were we spotted them two weeks ago was a good example of having mostly native habitat and a very manageable number of cattle, vs what I was seeing last night, where sometimes 100 of cattle are squeezed into a very small acreage. Of course, it's calving season too, so they've brought them in to a smaller area to protect them during that process.

Still, it's a pretty place to be on an evening.

Oh give me land, lots of land, under starry skies, don't fence me in....

And a resident pair of Osprey are back and on the nest, about half a mile before the start of my survey grid.

Then the moon came up...

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #10095
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Certainly no 'turkeys' among those images, Tina!

I noticed the Super Moon as I was driving over to Panda Express for take-out. Went back to the house for the camera, but too late .. the clouds swallowed it up.
What was that steel-spoked wheel attached to the pipe? Movable irrigation piping?
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #10096
okaugust
This is the way

Yes, irrigation. Where I live, when people visit, they say "this doesn't look like Wyoming." Sheridan is in a bowl of sorts, surrounded by mountains to the south and west, a bit to the north, and then some sage foothills to the east. The result is the wind isn't as crazy like out in the flats, and the rivers and creeks allow for hay and grazing. As a matter of fact, it's so green and the grass so good, we've had polo here for decades. People fly in from South America and so on.

Out to the east, the land is more like used to be sage and they have to water the crap out of it to get hay, but they still do. That was out east, near Leiter, WY and an hour away.

The moon got up into the clouds right after that, so I was lucky to be out there to grab a shot or two as well.

Super moon, I swear, every month is a super moon anymore. Folks, it's a full moon, happens every month!
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #10097
bradd
Working away

We had some of this last night. I tweeted the pictures and Accuweather and Channel 8 Chicago both asked to use them. Roofing guy is supposed to be here to inspect in a bit but doesn't look too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hail2-1.jpg (123.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg hail3-1.jpg (65.2 KB, 16 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #10098
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

Holy cow, Brad - our evening was amazing here (perfect weather) but I did see a big Thunderhead over your direction....

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum