click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
z1rider

Tire changer

Finally received my portable, manual motorcycle tire changer today. It came from Poland, and is made by Olmax motors. I haven't tried it out yet, but I've heard good things about it. I learned about it from a guy on the Aprilia Tuono forum, with a fair amount of experience with these things. Says he can mount, and dismount a tire in a matter of minutes, once you get the hang of it. I'll include a YouTube link, showing it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53cnop0crxo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200326_162929376 (Custom).jpg (228.3 KB, 182 views)
z1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Love the "locking pin" idea, keeping the tire from rotating sometimes can be a battle.

I will say..... in the video he really cheated when he used a worn-out tire to re-mount, would have liked to see him mount a new rear sport-touring tire, lol.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
z1rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Love the "locking pin" idea, keeping the tire from rotating sometimes can be a battle.

I will say..... in the video he really cheated when he used a worn-out tire to re-mount, would have liked to see him mount a new rear sport-touring tire, lol.
That is true, but the feedback from those that have them: sport tires; no problem. Sport touring tires; heat them in the sun, first.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

Very similar to the max2h in this video. I wonder if one has an advantage. Let us know how it does after you use it.

https://youtu.be/T9ymwz2sMqU

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
Fitty

Do you know the difference between your model and the 2020 version?

Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
Fitty

Apparently this is the difference in the 2020 model.
New larger puller with new safety system (super stable and very effective)

Tower optimized. Highest position now for 240mm tires

(the tower is still welded to the device to ensure maximum stability of the device)

-The spacing of the pads changed slightly

- Pads secured with 5mm NBR hard rubber

Was it available when you ordered yours?

Old 03-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
oldjeep

That is a well built looking tool. Looks like the only place to buy is off ebay? - about $315 shipped?
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Satan666
Call 9-1-1

Location: Black Hills, SD ~ Lake Forest, IL ~ (Storage Only) Morro Bay, CA
For a few $$$ more . . .

2nd pro machine. Goes from an 8" rim to 49" OD. Did a recent count, 44 vehicle tires on the ground plus another 8 winter snow swaps.
Surprisingly, under $1,600 with the motorcycle/ATV wheel adapters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02683.jpg (115.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
grommet
kinetic mentality

I'd like to see the report on how the Olmax unit works. Initially I'm not fond of the notion of working on the ground like that. There are times I have to lock my changer between my knees and feet to get the leverage needed to mount very stiff tires, or put it in the receiver hitch adapter I made for it on my car. ( I have a Coats 220 )

For comparison the NoMar Cycle Hill changer is $469 (with the no-scratch bead breaker included) shipped to the lower 48.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
oldjeep

I gotta say that the thing that appeals to me about the omax is that it is small and does sit on the ground and could be tossed on a shelf when not in use. But I normally mount/unmount by hand on the floor with tire irons.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I'd like to see the report on how the Olmax unit works. Initially I'm not fond of the notion of working on the ground like that. There are times I have to lock my changer between my knees and feet to get the leverage needed to mount very stiff tires, or put it in the receiver hitch adapter I made for it on my car. ( I have a Coats 220 )

For comparison the NoMar Cycle Hill changer is $469 (with the no-scratch bead breaker included) shipped to the lower 48.

That is quite a bit cheaper than I thought. I thought they were more like 800 last I checked. Maybe they had a different model?
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

No Mar often has unadvertised specials. You'll have to visit their website pretty often to catch a sale, but you can score a good deal if your timing is right. I saved over $200 on a Classic model changer a couple years ago.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan666 View Post
2nd pro machine. Goes from an 8" rim to 49" OD. Did a recent count, 44 vehicle tires on the ground plus another 8 winter snow swaps.
Surprisingly, under $1,600 with the motorcycle/ATV wheel adapters.
I'll be looking at that once the house and shop become habitable. Nice machine and want something for the car/truck. Nice setup.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
Fitty

Every time I look at the cheaper Nomar/Cycle Hill changers I read where they say if you do a lot of sport touring tires, etc, you should consider an upgraded model, or something like that, and I end up deciding not to get one. I too do fine on the ground with tire irons, especially with the few I do every year. But the tool geek in me also thinks it would be cool to have some apparatus that makes it easier, if the price is right. Waiting to hear more about the Olmax unit.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #15
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Every time I look at the cheaper Nomar/Cycle Hill changers I read where they say if you do a lot of sport touring tires, etc, you should consider an upgraded model, or something like that, and I end up deciding not to get one. I too do fine on the ground with tire irons, especially with the few I do every year. But the tool geek in me also thinks it would be cool to have some apparatus that makes it easier, if the price is right. Waiting to hear more about the Olmax unit.
I did a Metzeler Z6 on the FJR rear on the ground with spoons once. It was a much bigger PITA than the MC garage youtube video made it look like. I actually tore the bead and had to get a replacement. I then learned the importance of dropping the opposite edge into the "V." I imagine I could do better next time. I did mark up the rims a bit, though, necessitating repainting. The came out nice with VHT flat black paint.

The next bike that needs tires is the Tuono with the pretty red rims. Im afraid of even taking them off and marring them up by bumping the calipers...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Oh, I did use the no mar at a buddy's house for the FJR tho. It worked nice.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #17
z1rider

I was looking to get a No Mar, but I was convinced by someone with fair amount of experience, and street/track cred. I copied what he said about it. I also dealt directly with Olmax on the purchase.

"I just changed my first tire ever with the OlmaxMotors tire changer I got last week. It's from Poland and really is as easy as this video shows. NO... I have zero affiliation... just wanted to share a quality product that deserves some praise. I'd never changed my own tire EVER (always brought my wheels to the dealer) and it took me a whopping 3 mins to pull off a cold Q3 from the start. I figure it'd take 2 more to put it back on. So perhaps a 5 - 6 minute complete change from jump (minus balancing, of course). Lukas (owner) has been super cool via email and was quite attentive throughout the entire ordering process. Took perhaps a week from the original ship date to reach me in LA.

The tubing is high quality and the fit and finish exemplary. The powder coating seems decent enough and everything fits together with precision and "chunkiness", if that makes sense. This thing should last a lifetime. I've watched friends struggle far harder with the Classic Nomar and considering the cost and compactness of this changer, this is a no-brainer. It's crazy good!"

I used economy shipping,(slow boat), and it took 8 weeks to get to me. 1st class air is wayyy quicker. Oh, and remember to ask yourself, "how many tires do I change a year, or even 2 years?"
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #18
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Mark has done hundreds of tire changes on his Cycle Hill. It works fine. I've used it 2 or 3 times with him and saw nothing about it that would make me question using it for any moto tire.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #19
kjm

Have you used it yet? I saw the thread on af1 awhile ago and have been thinking about ordering one.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #20
z1rider

I have not. I need to make time to use it on my SV650, with old tires. I bought it based on the the posts from the Aprilia Tuono forum. I am concerned about not getting a smaller spindle, though. They are available, but I did not think that far ahead.

Last edited by z1rider; 04-16-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion