register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Overheating, need help

G'day one and all. Have a 2001 which has nearly 690000 k''s on the clock and has a problem with the fan not coming on resulting in coolant pissing out of the overflow bottle. Have tried so far to fix but no luck so far. radiator cap is in good nick and if i hotwire the fan to stay on it doesn't overheat so i think that rules that out. Have tried swapping over the thermocoupler on the thermostat housing as well as the fan relay and even the instument panel, all to no avail. If i ground the green/red wire on the fan relay the fan comes on so if i understand correctly this means the relay is ok? By the way the fan turns fine by hand and the fuse is fine and the fan is fine if i apply power to it. The diagnostic feature with the fan comes on after a minute or so over 1300rpms is still working as well so buggered if i know whats wrong with the poor thing!!! Would very much appreciate any suggestions from our learned gentry.
Cheers Frank.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #2
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Hmmm, 69 views yet no one can offer any suggestions? Come on guys, would very much appreciate a little help with this.:
Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
jjandros

Check your engine coolant temperature sensor. How are your gauges reading? If the relay is good and everything works when jumped then it's not getting signal. Double check relay and fuse functionality. Then move on to testing the temp sensor. Once that's done; bring the bike to op temp and test for input at the relay.
jjandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Thank you for the reply, I was leaning towards the temp sensor but I did swap it for one off of another bike. Am starting to think it's either the sensor or a wiring issue, will do some more tests later today. One thing I haven't mentioned is if I unplug the sensor and bridge the connector the fan comes on which means perhaps the wiring is ok?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
Tigerman
Intelligence Is Optional

Sounds like you are narrowing it down to the sensor. You can test it with a meter and imersing the bulb portion in heated water.
2009 Black/Granite with Healtech Quickshifter Easy, Traxxion AK-20 Cartridges and .95 springs, Nitron R3 Shock, Convertibars, RSC Adjustable Clutch Lever, MotionPro +2.5" clutch & throttle cables, Vortex Rearsets with Vortex brake light switch, Venhill brake lines, Mivv GP Carbon Slip On, Ivan's ECU Flash, PC V, Air Box Mod, Gutted Cat, 12-O'clock Labs Speedo DRD and EXUP Simulator, Datatool gear Indicator, Motech Mirror Extenders, California Scientific windscreen when cruising.
Tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Cheers Tigerman, hoping to do that test later today, just seems strange the temp sensor would be on the fritz as I've got two of them and using the search forum the consensus is they are very reliable. In saying that one sensor has done 690000k's and the other over 300000k's so they are both entitled to have a bit of a lie down!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 04:41 AM   #7
jjandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackone View Post
Cheers Tigerman, hoping to do that test later today, just seems strange the temp sensor would be on the fritz as I've got two of them and using the search forum the consensus is they are very reliable. In saying that one sensor has done 690000k's and the other over 300000k's so they are both entitled to have a bit of a lie down!!!
Well more than likely it's the sensor but testing to be sure is always better than part swapping. I'd say you got a good amount of use out of both. check its readings. Wiring, fuse, relay, and ECM sound good to go so...
jjandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I'd say something that's been in the bike for almost 3/4 million kilometers is certainly work checking per the service manual..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #9
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

To all that replied to my dilemma many thanks, got around to testing the sensor and its out of spec.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Dickman

Where is temp sensor located?
Is it between 1&2 on backside of cylinder?
Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
AndyW

No, it bolts into the thermostat housing, right besides the radiator cap.

Which would you prefer?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
2wheelmax

Replace the thermostat too while you got it apart.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #13
Tom66

My 2003 FZS 1000 "thermo unit" (the one that screws into thermostat housing) was pooched when tested as per shop manual. I wired in a simple push/pull switch on the handlebar and I turn on fan under 50 kph. This still did not cure my overheating problem. I live in Thailand as common to have daytime temperatures over 100 F.
I tried flushing system with Rad cleaners from various manufacturers, then used Valvoline Super Coolant at 33% concentration and 5 oz of Purple Ice (from Royal Purple) still boiling over and high temp light on if I had to idle in traffic which happens a LOT here, especially if right after high speed highway riding. Finally I ditched the thermostat and that cured the overheating. Lowest temps we get here early mornings about 75 F so no need for thermostat ����
I also have a 2009 gen2 and have same overheating problems with it. Normal driving it always runs right around 200 F, low speed 208-212, idling in traffic 218-220 and just after shut off (leaving key on so fans can cool it) it has gone to 230. Did flush and Purple Ice trick couple days ago, but did not help. Gonna pull thermostat next and hope it works on this one too!!
Tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:55 AM   #14
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Hi Tom
Noticed you mixed the coolant at 33%, this can lead to boiling over. Factory manual says 50/50 mix, was having overheating problems which I thought was a dud thermocoupler but turned out to be a combination of wiring issues and incorrect coolant mixing ratio. Had to go with Honda premix as local Yamaha shop had coolant on back order. Good thing about the Honda coolant is its dark purple in colour so it's easier to check the overflow reservoir for the correct level as over time it becomes less opaque. Hope this helps.
Cheers Frank.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
AndyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackone View Post
Noticed you mixed the coolant at 33%, this can lead to boiling over.
I call BS. Many of us run 100% water on the track, and push the bikes a little more than on the street. Never heard of an overheating issue.

Which would you prefer?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
arkie6

Less coolant, more water = better heat transfer.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #17
longeze

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I call BS. Many of us run 100% water on the track, and push the bikes a little more than on the street. Never heard of an overheating issue.
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
To anyone with persistent overheating issues, allow me to submit for your consideration, post #79 on this page: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...=141091&page=4

Also while you're there, for any of you with more than a passing knowledge of how the Gen 1 engines are put together, maybe you could have a crack at answering the clutch oiling question in post #76 in that thread?
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
blackone
YAMAHA MAN

Hey Andy
BS call is rubbish, doing a track day where you have great airflow is a different kettle of fish than constantly being stuck in heavy traffic with zero airflow.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #19
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
"Coolant" or "antifreeze" will slow the heat transfer process. Those are in there for corrosion resistance and freeze prevention.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues