click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 06-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #481
bnr54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Another option is to tinker a bit and see how the bike responds. I used to pull over and adjust the fueling with the buttons on the side of the road richer and leaner, and see how it affected the bike.
What buttons are you talking about?
bnr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #482
bnr54

Tried JD's map from stage 3...bike annihilate full fueltank for 90km...
Tought...
bnr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #483
AndyManCam

Hello chaps.

Bit of a semi-hijack here, but I recently took the plunge on the FTECU kit which has enabled me to flash my '06 ECU and get rid of the fuel cut, exup, AIS etc..

It's also given me the ability to sideload PC maps.

I've got a gutted header, Airbox mod and a BOS GTS slipon.

I've also used the FTECU software to have the flies constantly open at 100%, so essentially I'm at stage III.

I've tried Dek's map and also Whittlebeasts smoothed stage 3 map. Both gave a very pleasant experience from the mid range all the way up to the top.

Problem is that for both I'm noticing a bit of a dead patch between 2000 and 4000 rpm. The bike surges forward at take off but then feels almost like I've let a parachute out the back until i break 4k at which point the boosters come back online. I've noticed from my limited digging that both maps have taken a fair bit of fuel out in this area (unless I'm interpreting things wrong. I'm looking at tables in two different programs and the interface between and could be losing something in translation!).

Also the transition back on to the throttle from overrun is back to being quite abrupt on both. (This is below the 4500 fuel cut threshold).

Power and fuelling wise, is this an area that I may as well forget about? (I know it's an inline 4 etc.. etc..) I'd never had this dead patch before, though I'm aware that it could now 'feel' dead because the mid is so much more pokey.

But if it is worth chasing, in order to get fully linear power, what would you recommend? Should I try to mess with the tables to put a bit of juice back in?

Or alternatively, should I utilise the ability of the FTECU doohicky to program in partially open flies at low revs? For example having them ramp up from say 60% open to 100% open from 1000-4000rpm? I am also making the assumption that this might soften the abruptness coming back on the gas as I will essentially be mimicking the smaller Flies.

Now I know that I could just try all of these things out, but I was hoping for some educated input from you chaps before I start messing as unfortunately time is very limited so I'd like to narrow down as much theory as possible beforehand!

As an aside, I can totally confirm that the fuel cut is 100% gone, despite having the oh so troublesome '06 ECU. On overrun the pipes used to be silent until 4500rpm and then start popping whereas now they pop and crackle at whatever revs I chop the throttle. Plus of course coming back on the gas at any revs is almost instant!

Ultimately I have no interest in all out power, the bike is plenty fast enough for me as it is. I just want rideability and smoothness. So please nobody tell me I should put the bike on a Dyno (Jaredp)

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that I still have the O2 sensor connected. Not really sure what's best here as I don't actually have a Powercommander!

Last edited by AndyManCam; 07-19-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Extra VITAL info!
AndyManCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #484
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Definitely mess with the tables, that is half the fun! If there are fuel cuts at small throttle openings, at least start with zeroing those out.

It was funny, a buddy who lived across the country had a Husky 610 supermoto with a PC3 on it, had no idea what to do with mapping. I figured they are always come lean at part throttle for emissions, and a bit rich on the top end, so I pulled a map out of my ass that added fuel at part throttle and trimmed a little at wide open throttle and emailed it to him. He said the bike worked much better! Very much a digital version of a more tapered needle in a carb, and a slightly smaller main jet.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #485
AndyManCam

Quote:
Definitely mess with the tables, that is half the fun! If there are fuel cuts at small throttle openings, at least start with zeroing those out.

It was funny, a buddy who lived across the country had a Husky 610 supermoto with a PC3 on it, had no idea what to do with mapping. I figured they are always come lean at part throttle for emissions, and a bit rich on the top end, so I pulled a map out of my ass that added fuel at part throttle and trimmed a little at wide open throttle and emailed it to him. He said the bike worked much better! Very much a digital version of a more tapered needle in a carb, and a slightly smaller main jet.

You were absolutely right Duken4evr! I messed about with the tables. A LOT! I started again with BobMG's map. Added a lot of fuel back in on the small throttle movements. Added 6-7% from 1500-redline in the 0% and the abruptness on/off is all but gone! Also severely reduced popping on overrun without even disabling the AIS.

But of course it's addictive so I went on to mess a bit with the whole map after checking the datalogs from my state of the art butt dyno! Ultimately I ended up creating a hybrid of Dek's and BobMG's maps but using Whittlebeasts Smoothed stage 3 as a baseline. First run was awesome but fuel economy was way down on what I'm used to so leaned out the cruising areas a bit and managed 270km before the fuel light came on!! But still with beautiful thick midrange and smooth fuelling. 4k-5k was now a little bit on the buzzy side so a couple of percent added back here and there and looking forward to trying out the new 'improved' version to see if there's a difference.

With the amount of hours I've spent looking at tables and map-comparison graphs, it's quickly becoming a bit of a 'problem'!! Is there a PC anonymous I can sign up to!?
AndyManCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #486
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Sweet! Welcome to my strange little world.

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 08-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #487
Dinos_1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyManCam View Post
You were absolutely right Duken4evr! I messed about with the tables. A LOT! I started again with BobMG's map. Added a lot of fuel back in on the small throttle movements. Added 6-7% from 1500-redline in the 0% and the abruptness on/off is all but gone! Also severely reduced popping on overrun without even disabling the AIS.

But of course it's addictive so I went on to mess a bit with the whole map after checking the datalogs from my state of the art butt dyno! Ultimately I ended up creating a hybrid of Dek's and BobMG's maps but using Whittlebeasts Smoothed stage 3 as a baseline. First run was awesome but fuel economy was way down on what I'm used to so leaned out the cruising areas a bit and managed 270km before the fuel light came on!! But still with beautiful thick midrange and smooth fuelling. 4k-5k was now a little bit on the buzzy side so a couple of percent added back here and there and looking forward to trying out the new 'improved' version to see if there's a difference.

With the amount of hours I've spent looking at tables and map-comparison graphs, it's quickly becoming a bit of a 'problem'!! Is there a PC anonymous I can sign up to!?
Hi andy could you please share the map. I thinks that's exactly what I was looking!
Dinos_1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #488
bplaxton

another hi-jack in progress. My bike has the Ivan flashed ECU and his map. I have a gutted cat, slip-on, modified flies and airbox mod. I've been happy as heck with this setup over the years. On the weekend I volunteered in a ride to conquer cancer on the FZ and was paired with a guy on a FJR who happens to do tuning. He said he could tell from smell and carbon deposits on the slip-on that my bike is set up way too rich and that I should have him dyno-tune it, he was very confident he could add 50km per tank. I'm curious what people here think about that. I live in Calgary where we have some elevation (~3000') so I've always been curious if the typical maps were a little on the rich side.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #489
CharleyB

I 've had an 06 since new and my perf mods are the exact same as yours but also with Arrow headers and BMC filter. I'm in Vancouver so generally are closer to sea level than you. The back end of my TBR has always been discoloured and I always get comments about the rich smell in group rides. However, it runs great so I feel no need to try to out think Ivan. I have read that having no cat will contribute to the stink.

I have an MT10 now also so I don't spend as much time on the FZ or this forum but both are great! I wish the MT forum was as constructive and well-organized as this one. The FZ is much better on fuel than the MT, but to me they are poor man's Ferraris and my grin is more important than fuel economy.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #490
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Ya, no cat is why it stinks. The bike does like fuel added to part throttle in the "emissions testing" cruising RPM, probably because it is lean there.

Running Ivan's map now with his ECU flash, my friend behind me says it smells gassy, but the bike runs awesome and incredibly smooth. Every time I ride it, the tach sees 10K, cuz it just rips so effortlessly.

Being a tweaker, I tried backing the fuel add off at part throttle, but then it got tingly at the grips. Set it back to Ivan's original settings and it was smooth as a baby's ass again. Could never quite get that silkiness without the flash though, no matter what I did with fueling. The timing plays in too. Retarded timing, again for emissions I suppose.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #491
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Ya, no cat is why it stinks. The bike does like fuel added to part throttle in the "emissions testing" cruising RPM, probably because it is lean there.

Running Ivan's map now with his ECU flash, my friend behind me says it smells gassy, but the bike runs awesome and incredibly smooth. Every time I ride it, the tach sees 10K, cuz it just rips so effortlessly.

Being a tweaker, I tried backing the fuel add off at part throttle, but then it got tingly at the grips. Set it back to Ivan's original settings and it was smooth as a baby's ass again. Could never quite get that silkiness without the flash though, no matter what I did with fueling. The timing plays in too. Retarded timing, again for emissions I suppose.
I also use Ivan's map and it just rips. But I decreased fuel in the small band that I cruise in. I determined the fuel decrease range by looking at the data that we gathered when we had a data logger on the bike. It's a pretty small window of time that I changed the settings but it helped to increase fuel mileage.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #492
Duken4evr
Map Maven

What % map entries did you lean out?

Replaced my bike's rotor with the updated one and took it for a ride. After toodling around on the Super Tenere, getting on the FZ1 always is an eye opener. I am at elevation and the bike is still blindingly fast. It would really be an animal at sea level.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #493
Fooligan055

Sorry I feel I am being dumb but where can I find the map pack to download it please?
Fooligan055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #494
Fooligan055

Found it thanks...ahh brain restored
Old 02-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #495
Fooligan055

Can you share your map please?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #496
Fooligan055

Please share your map...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyManCam View Post

Please share your map, thank you.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance