click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #1
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Family History

Anybody know any interesting or famous people they are related too? I found out recently I'm a direct descendant of Pocahontas, she's my 12th Grandma (insert Elizabeth Warren joke)
I'm Also a direct descendant of William Bingham Meade, who was a revolutionary war soldier who fought at the battle of cowpens (that the movie the Patriot was loosely based on) he was given 440 acres of land in what's now WV for his service.

So who are you kin to?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
quazz
Reality can be a tricky thing

Adam.

93 Ford F150, leather shift knob (missing), rubber mats, AM/FM radio.
quazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
jredford
Musical Metal

Eve.

Seriously, I am descended from Benjamin Wade, senator from Ohio. Had Andrew Johnson been impeached he would have become POTUS.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
old77zrider

HMMM....What's the difference between direct and indirect descendent?

12th gen grandmother means you are .024% native American. Not sure if its true or hearsay but I heard that if you can prove you are of native American descent that college is free. I wonder if your kids (.012%) and grandkids etc qualify?
If true then eventually college will be free for everyone.......if it isn't already!

Who knew the Dems already had this one in the bag!
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

My great-great-great-grandfather (mother's mother's father's mother's father) was William Preston Stapp, one of the Texians (as they were known then) captured by Mexican troops in the ill-fated Mier Expedition of November, 1842. After inflicting heavy casualties on the Mexican regulars even though outnumbered 10-to-1, the Texian militia surrendered the day after Christmas. During the forced march to Mexico City and trial, most of the men escaped into the highlands of northern Mexico, but lacking food, water, and suffering from exposure in the cold winter, nearly all returned to surrender a second time.

This led to the punishment immortalized by Frederic Remington in his painting, The Drawing of the Black Bean. Those prisoners who returned were forced to draw a bean from a pot, in which 159 white beans and 17 black beans had been placed. Those men who drew a white bean continued the march, and those who drew a black bean were shot.

Fortunately, my great-great-great-grandfather drew a white bean, else I wouldn't be around to annoy you people.

Stapp continued on the march and was incarcerated in Perote Prison in Mexico for some two years, until his release was secured (if I recall correctly) by an agreement between Santa Ana and the governor of (oddly enough) Missouri.

The Drawing of the Black Bean, Frederic Remington:

His daughter, my great-great-grandmother Cara Belle Glass (nee Stapp), who would not have been born had he not survived the expedition and the march:

He wrote a book about the whole thing: The Prisoners of Perote, William Preston Stapp. This book was on my grandmother's bookshelf for years and years, and about two decades ago she gave it to me.

But it was about 15 years ago or so that I began snooping around the family history more seriously, and I discovered who William Preston Stapp's father was...

Elijah Stapp was a Virginian who came to Mexican Texas (Coahuila y Tejas) in 1830 with the promise of good land for farming. He was awarded a significant grant near what shortly became a municipality of Jackson, now Jackson County, north of Victoria on the fertile coastal plains.

Elijah being one of two sworn deputies for keeping order in the new town, he quite literally drew the short straw, and took the arduous 125-mile ride to Washington-on-the-Brazos, where he attended the Convention of 1836, while his fellow deputy stayed behind.

The outcome of that Convention was the Texas Declaration of Independence of 1836, signed by the fifty-nine voting delegates in attendance, my great-great-great-great-grandfather Elijah Stapp being one of them. Those men in Texas history became known simply as The Fifty-Nine.

In 1936, the centennial of Texas independence, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas took on the task of finding the final resting place of all of The Fifty-Nine. Upon each, a five-foot white granite marker was placed. After about a half-hour long trek through mesquite-clogged pasture, I found my great-great-great-great-grandfather's grave:

W.A., 7th Generation Texan
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Sam9

Mostly farmers, various European ancestry, one MOH winner.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Had Andrew Johnson been impeached...
Andrew Johnson WAS impeached. He just missed conviction in the Senate by one vote.

W.A.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
Mostly farmers, various European ancestry, one MOH winner.
I ain't too pretty smart, so could you tell me what MOH is?

Thank you very much.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

I’m going with “Medal of Honor.”

W.A.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
Sam9

Medal of Honor, sorry.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Kevin Bacon.
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR CORSA (Sex machine)
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125 ("track" bike )
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
_Will_

Most I know is we’re distantly related to a Spanish land grant family and qualify for sons and daughters of the American revolution but not much beyond that. My grandmother was the one who did or commissioned the research and she’s been gone 26 years so who knows what box it’s all in now.

She was probably the most famous in our state’s political circles, I remember being very surprised when the governor called during the funeral
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
quazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
My great-great-great-grandfather (mother's mother's father's mother's father) was William Preston Stapp, one of the Texians (as they were known then) captured by Mexican troops in the ill-fated Mier Expedition of November, 1842. After inflicting heavy casualties on the Mexican regulars even though outnumbered 10-to-1, the Texian militia surrendered the day after Christmas. During the forced march to Mexico City and trial, most of the men escaped into the highlands of northern Mexico, but lacking food, water, and suffering from exposure in the cold winter, nearly all returned to surrender a second time.

This led to the punishment immortalized by Frederic Remington in his painting, The Drawing of the Black Bean. Those prisoners who returned were forced to draw a bean from a pot, in which 159 white beans and 17 black beans had been placed. Those men who drew a white bean continued the march, and those who drew a black bean were shot.

Fortunately, my great-great-great-grandfather drew a white bean, else I wouldn't be around to annoy you people.

Stapp continued on the march and was incarcerated in Perote Prison in Mexico for some two years, until his release was secured (if I recall correctly) by an agreement between Santa Ana and the governor of (oddly enough) Missouri.

that is such a cool story.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
quazz

My ancestor came to Nova Scotia from Ireland as a Redcoat during the war of 1812 (The one where Canada kicked the US butt) The Irish Catholics had no love for the Brits for obvious reasons but many joined the army or navy of England to keep from starving. Once their term was up they could go back home o take 200 acres and a pick, shovel and ax instead and he chose this land grant which is still in my family.
Nova Scotia itself was a colony like the 13 US colonies but chose to remain under the King most likely because the Royal Navy's North American base was there.
So no there is no one famous I am aware of just generations of rabble which I proudly continue.
Oh wait I almost forgot, on my grandmother's side they were french and the oral history is that we are descended from someone born to french nobility but on "the wrong side of the blanket" - an inconvenient bastard child that was best sent away. That is as close to fame as we got that I know about.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Benny Thomasson was my great-great-uncle (my mother's mother's mother's brother).

Benny was a fiddle player who developed what became known as the Texas style of fiddling, and was the greatest fiddler of his generation. He won the World Championship ( at Quazz) and the Texas State Championship multiple times, as well as many, many other contests. He traveled to a central Texas contest that offered a $20 gold piece as first prize, but as soon as he showed up, the organizers canceled it. Benny was bitter about that, as he observed that "we really could have used that money."

He had an open invitation to join Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and Hank Williams's Band, but he reckoned if he went on the road, his kids would grow up and "wouldn't be worth killin'" without his presence in the home.

His father was Lewis Alexander "Red Lute" Thomasson, a supremely accomplished fiddle player in his own right, and who wrote the American fiddle standard, "Midnight on the Water." When Benny was five, he snuck his father's fiddle out from under the bed "to see what it was about." He promptly dropped and broke it, prompting his father to sternly tell him to "play out a tune or get a beating." The young Benny did well enough that his father began teaching him the instrument.

The Thomassons were "Scotch-Irish," Irish Presbyterians who came to America in the late 18th and early to mid 19th centuries, and many of them brought their Irish instruments and folk traditions with them. When Benny was a young man, he entered a few fiddling contests but fared poorly. With that experience, he reinvented the instrument and the style, as he felt the old tunes needed to be "rounded out and smoothed up." That reinvention of the standard tunes and how they could be played became the "Texas-style," and began his decades of dominance as a champion fiddler.

Later in life, Benny and his wife Bea joined their son (Jerry, if I recall correctly) in the Seattle area, and there a young man named Mark O'Connor, already a talented fiddle player at age 12, sought him out and became his student. Benny taught Mark for a few years, and Mark went on to greatness of his own.

In Mark O'Connor's liner notes of his double-Grammy-winning 1991 album, The New Nashville Cats, Mark states (I'm jotting this down from memory) "[Benny Thomasson,] you taught me 'Limerock,' you taught me how to play my fiddle, and you brought out the best in me. You are the greatest fiddler I have ever heard. Rest in peace, my friend."

"Limerock" was an old-time fiddle tune from central Texas that Benny had "worked over," and turned into a masterpiece. Here is Mark O'Connor, the greatest fiddler of HIS generation, performing "Limerock," in a duet with Yo-Yo Ma:

W.A.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #16
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazz View Post
My ancestor came to Nova Scotia from Ireland as a Redcoat during the war of 1812...
Very cool!

I have another great-great-great-great-grandfather, Richard Buckalew (b. 1754) of South Carolina, who fought with the Loyalists in the American Revolution, as did many of recent Scot descent.

W.A.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post

His daughter, my great-great-grandmother Cara Belle Glass (nee Stapp), who would not have been born had he not survived the expedition and the march:

He wrote a book about the whole thing: The Prisoners of Perote, William Preston Stapp. This book was on my grandmother's bookshelf for years and years, and about two decades ago she gave it to me.

But it was about 15 years ago or so that I began snooping around the family history more seriously, and I discovered who William Preston Stapp's father was...

Elijah Stapp was a Virginian who came to Mexican Texas (Coahuila y Tejas) in 1830 with the promise of good land for farming. He was awarded a significant grant near what shortly became a municipality of Jackson, now Jackson County, north of Victoria on the fertile coastal plains.

Elijah being one of two sworn deputies for keeping order in the new town, he quite literally drew the short straw, and took the arduous 125-mile ride to Washington-on-the-Brazos, where he attended the Convention of 1836, while his fellow deputy stayed behind.

The outcome of that Convention was the Texas Declaration of Independence of 1836, signed by the fifty-nine voting delegates in attendance, my great-great-great-great-grandfather Elijah Stapp being one of them. Those men in Texas history became known simply as The Fifty-Nine.

In 1936, the centennial of Texas independence, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas took on the task of finding the final resting place of all of The Fifty-Nine. Upon each, a five-foot white granite marker was placed. After about a half-hour long trek through mesquite-clogged pasture, I found my great-great-great-great-grandfather's grave:

Good stuff right there, brings back memories of 7th grade Texas History class.
bmidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
Medal of Honor, sorry.
WOW! That's Awesome! Thank you very much.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Most tribes you have to be at least an 1/8th, and your full blood relative has to be listed as such with the BIA ( Bureau of Indian Affairs). Some tribes it's a 1/4. I know certain federal regs don't apply to full bloods, like hunting licenses, daily catch limits for fish, etc. But they have to be at least half.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Kevin Bacon.
I can see it, can you footloose ?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion