click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
okrider

Got Fished!

So I got fished yesterday. Putting this out here so it doesn't happen to you too as it was a very good fish. Not your usual Indian dude pretending to be the IRS.

I got a text from someone claiming to be Discover that said my card with the last 4 digits: 1234 was used to make a purchase at a Walmart in Miami. Not written out like this but more bank text lingo. If you haven't made this purchase reply NO etc.

I haven't been to a Walmart in Miami so I replied NO. Didn't think it would be a scam as they had my phone number and the last 4 digits of my credit card.

I immediately got a phone call from Discover Customer Service. From the legit Discover Customer Service phone number. Confirmed some information that ended up with me locked out of my account, which I'm told is normal and that I'm going to get a new card in the mail the next day with a new account. As soon as I hung up, I got an email that a travel notice was put on my card and that my password was changed.

Immediately called Discover back and found out that I was fished. Talked to the fraud investigation person who blocked my card. They tried to withdraw $500(max amount in one transaction) from an ATM, but they couldn't as I acted fast enough to block it.

Long story short, if someone calls you claiming to be your bank and asks for info, even if it's the bank's legit phone number, tell them to freeze your card/account and that you'll call them back. Do not give them info.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
grommet
kinetic mentality

Good advice. Thanks for sharing. I've had a few of those (legit from the bank) so worth looking out for.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember ever having been asked for my info when someone called me. When i call them they ask for it, but never the other way around. Usually it seems the text says to call them or just reply to the text. Never that they texted me then called asking for info. So to me that's the red flag.

Who is inventing the "Nuke this scammer" button?

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
Desmo
Hello ladies...

So what info did you provide them?

I don’t understand how they changed your password without having your user name and password to start with.

And when you say you called them back, was it the same number that called you?

And how could they use the atm without your PIN??

I have had two such instances. Both were legit. I got a text about the charge, and then replie NO. Soon after I got a call from chase. I don’t remember the specifics but at no time did I give them any info other than confirming the card number. No way I would provide my login ID or PW.

Oh, it’s “Phishing” since no actual fish are involved.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
okrider

They did the we're going to send your phone a code trick and did a forgot my username/password on Discover's website. I didn't provide them with my username or password.

When I say I called them back, I called the actual Discover customer service. But it's the same phone number I received a call from. They faked their number so it appeared like I got a call from Discover customer service.

Confirmed card number, and my address for the "new card they're going to send me". I may have given the last 4 of my social but I can't remember if it was the scammers or actual Discover that asked for that. Either way, putting a fraud alert on my credit.

This is a credit card so I assume they tried to pull money as you would at a grocery store, trying to get cashback.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Yah I guess best practice is just always call the number on the card and go from there.

This sure does seem like an elaborate phishing job.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
okrider

Yeah it felt very real. Never again am I giving info to anyone that calls me on the phone. I'll hang up and call customer service
Old 08-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
organ donor

I was hoping you were catfished, and you had a story about making out with a girl that turned out to be a dude or something. From now on that's what I'm telling people happened.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
From now on that's what I'm telling people happened.
Tell everyone you know, let's find out how long it takes for me to hear it from someone
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
organ donor

Okay, what's your name, social security number, date of birth and drivers license number?
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
okrider

Try calling me and asking. We'll see if I tell you
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
Skiman
Renaissance Man

If I need to call my bank or credit card customer service number, I always use my land line if phished on my cell. (you remember what a land line is, don't you? )

BTW, did you see the story on 60 minutes about the Israeli company that can hack any cell phone in the world? Yep, any, even encrypted. Used to track down terrorists but who knows if it's then sold to third parties? Extremely costly though.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
Yeah it felt very real. Never again am I giving info to anyone that calls me on the phone. I'll hang up and call customer service
This is always what I do. Whenever the bank I use calls me, they always ask for the last 4 of my social to confirm my identity. I simply tell them, “you called me, I’m not giving you any information.” They always direct me to call back in, fine by me.

Can’t believe something like that happened, sounds very real. Good thing you caught it in time.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I got fished this summer, caught a 74 lb Wahoo
Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Yep, phishing scams are becoming incredibly elaborate and quite sophisticated. Be very aware.

NEVER trust caller ID and believe you know who the caller really is. Always call the bank card customer service number.

W.A.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

I never thought you would just give me the info so easily. It was just a prank bro. Just a prank
Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 AM   #16
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
Bingo.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #17
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better

Set up text alerts and you'll know almost immediately anytime a charge hits the card.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #18
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Thanks for the fish tail.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #19
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnnc View Post
Set up text alerts and you'll know almost immediately anytime a charge hits the card.
FWIW - I have that set up but got no notification because Chase had blocked the transaction, then sent me the text asking if I had made the charge.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #20
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
FWIW - I have that set up but got no notification because Chase had blocked the transaction, then sent me the text asking if I had made the charge.
So Chase recognized it as fraudulent and blocked it? Haven't had that happen yet as far as I know.
I got a text alert a few months ago, someone had made a purchase and walmart.com using my card. I immediately froze my card then called Walmart. Apparently they didn't believe me and shipped the guy what he'd bought anyway but the bank straightened it out.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion