register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
It's near holy shit and 10 miles past your first HD view, in a darkened room with no bright light behind you and the right source it is superb.

My Samsung plasma has blown away every 4K model I have tried during real world testing here, the last year of production was the best and I hope it lives forever. I hear it sucking kw from the grid right now, added cooling fans too. CE compliant we are not.
My son also bought a Panasonic plasma as they were being discontinued. I have not seen it but he is extremely happy with it.
I have a 2 years old Samsung 65" LCD with LED backlight so I will not be in the market for a while, but I like it. As long as I am not exposed to 4K too much, I will not know what I am missing
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #22
longeze

LFE: There's a great site "cult of the infinitely baffled" that I lurked for a couple years before I committed to build mine. There's endless information on all things subwoofery and low frequency. I learned a great deal about room correction/tuning and all things audio related from the guys posting on that website. If you're interested in getting the best from your existing sound system, there's a lot of support information for the freeware REW program as well. If you're a bit OCD about these things as I am, you can make yourself nuts happily chasing audio nirvana for days on end - fairly warned )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
So the only cable to run from the projector to the source is a small fiber cord? Did you just run it around the edge of the floor?
And what would you guesstimate the cost for a low-mid end version of a set up like yours is? Screen, projector and whatever that other device you need is?
Yes just a small fiber optic cable ~ 1/4" diameter or less. I was going to run it around the baseboards, but I would have had to get longer cables and I'm too cheap, so I just ran it under the carpet. It's been 5yrs of abuse walking on it and such with no problems - knock wood.

As to the cost, on the video side of it, you can pick up a used Sim2 HT300 E-link for a few hundred bucks or less. If you just want to mess around to see what it is, you can buy an HT300 without the remote processor for about $100 so you can decide if you like what it does before spending a few more dollars-which is what I did. You can use a white wall(free?) for a screen & it works quite well actually. If you want better performance you can buy vinyl sheet for use as a screen which is what we use. There's a number of Ebay vendors for it. I paid $90 for ours - new. There's also a special white reflective paint you could use which IIRC is slightly more expensive but will give you slightly more brightness at the expense of your black level. That's always the trade-off with projection screens. I'm not sure if you were asking about the surround sound system as well. If you want me to comment on the costs of that let me know & I'll post up - nbd. Honestly, people always hawk their shit as being the greatest thing since sliced bread and all that, but when reviewers talk about the image quality of DLP projectors being "jaw dropping" they're being literal and objective. Everyone who's seen our projector has been blown away including me - every time I fire it up. If you decide to go that route and have any questions, feel free to let me know. I'll help you as best I can.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry