register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
JeffR

Fuel problem

Hey All,

2008 Gen 2, Problem with the bike starting. I left it over the winter and the battery was dead. Charged it up and the bike fired up no problem, ran for about 3-4 mins and then stumbled and died. If I crank it, it will barely start and perhaps idle for 5-10 seconds then dies again. Giving it a lot of throttle will make it die.

No error codes being thrown. Pulled a plug and checked for spark, getting good spark. Battery will crank for quite a while so I'm pretty sure not battery. Hooked a multi-meter on it but it doesn't stay running long enough to get a good read on idling voltage. Sprayed some butane into the intake and it will run while I'm feeding it butane, so I think I have a fuel problem.

Poured some dry gas (HEET) in and swirled it around. Minor improvement but nothing significant.

Next step I would like to test the fuel pressure but I don't have the necessary tools. Instead I was thinking of pulling off the fuel tank, pull the pump out, and clean the fuel filter.

Any ideas before I go that route? Any ways to further narrow down the source of the problem before I pull the tank off? Anyone near Philadelphia that might have a fuel pressure adapter? I looked on ebay and looks like it will run around $40 and another $40 for the pressure gauge.

Also, side question, do the fuel disconnects have stop valves? ie when I pull the connector off does it close off the fuel?

Thanks for any assistance or thoughts,
Jeff
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
old sparks

A weak battery can manifest itself in odd ways, from what I've read on this forum.

Have you done Blindspot's fuel line modification? It is cheap and will rule out a kinked stock fuel hose. Although this problem should only manifest itself when open throttle.
old sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
fermic37

Did you put fuel treatment in it before you parked it for the winter with a full tank of fuel? Could be a bit of water working its way out. And +1 on the battery.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
JeffR

No fuel line modification. Looked at line and it looks in good shape, no obvious kinking or wear.

Fuel treatment added after the winter not before, had about 3/4 tank through the winter. I have cranked for quite a while after I added the treatment to try to get any bad fuel in the line through.

I've seen all the posts re. battery issues. Seems unlikely to me due to the fact that it ran fine for a while, plus as I said it will crank for a solid couple minutes before I have to charge it up again.

Thanks for ideas.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
fermic37

you wouldn't see the kink until you remove the rubber sheathing. Adding the treatment after the fact wouldn't be that effective. You could empty the tank and try new fuel.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
JeffR

Was just reading the posts about the fuel line mod, think I'll go ahead and do that. Also will drain tank and put in fresh fuel.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
motomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Was just reading the posts about the fuel line mod, think I'll go ahead and do that. Also will drain tank and put in fresh fuel.
That is exactly what I would suggest.

Old fuel has strange effects.
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
JeffR

Got it, was the fuel filter, all grimed up.

I followed this procedure: http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-ho...el-filter.html

Only thing I would add to his process was that once you have the pump and filter section separated from the body, you can actually then pretty easily pry off just the filter part. This allows you to put some nice back pressure, I used 1/4" vinyl tube, and blow the shit out of it.

Also took the opportunity to swirl some gas around the tank and rinse out any loose crap in there a couple of times.

Also looked at the fuel line and saw where the possibility of kinking existed, but squeezing the cover mine was still nice and round all the way down. Not going to screw with stuff that isn't broken, as tempting as it might be.

Thanks for quick advice from responders.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues