register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #21
YamahaMan444
Hide your daughters, Im single

Such a squid question. Pipes don't change your riding habits. Spend that pipe money on a riding course or a track day
Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Such a squid question. Pipes don't change your riding habits. Spend that pipe money on a riding course or a track day
A squid question. Roger that boss man.
Blake0116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
on the shirt above. I have the orange and the blue.

Excessively loud pipes, whether straight pipes on a big V twin or shorties on screaming I-4 Jap bikes, are annoying as hell.

Do they help in traffic? Sure, if you just want to piss off all the cagers.
Do they get you noticed? Yes, as you'll see when the blue lights are flashing in your rear view mirror after that kewl 11k rpm blast around the minivan.
Do they prove you're an idiot? Not concrete proof, but a very good indicator.

Kidding aside, the best tool in traffic, as stated above, is located in your helmet. Use it wisely.

Sounds like the car driver was trying to be nice, but doesn't have a clue about riding motorcycles in traffic. Best to just smile and say thanks.
I agree, excess noise is just annoying and is usually a good indicator of someone who just wants to be loud and obnoxious. And yes the tool between your ears is always your most valuable defense. Thanks for your input iluvmyfz1.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #24
Blake0116
Lets Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
One of the best things i did about a year ago, was install a 113 decibel horn, on my 2002 FZ1.

And said horn was used last Saturday, in San Juan Bautista. There is a place at the end of town, that i like to ride to, for a large cup of decaf coffee. The place has a nice patio. I usually give my girl friend in Portland, Oregon a call from there.

Anyway, was in the parking lot at the place on my FZ1, with a large truck ahead of me. He stops, and i see the white reverse lights come on! He is about to start backing up, to get into a parking slot, he missed. He does not see me! At that instant, i hit my 113 decibel horn. His brake lights come on, and THEN he looks in his rear view mirror. He waves, and continues forward.

Obtaining that horn, was one of the best things i ever did, on my FZ1. It only cost me $12.99 with free shipping. Fits in the same spot as the useless o.e.m. horn. Comes with a steel mounting bracket. Uses the o.e.m. wire connectors and has been fine for over a year, and ten thousand miles.

If anybody is interested in this horn, contact me by p.m., and i will tell you where to find it. Not making any money off of this, just trying to help people stay alive.

Dean
I might look into that myself. Thanks for the info Dean.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
Dean Dinnetz

aeg:

info just sent about the horn i have, on my 2002 FZ1.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #26
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd View Post
Based on the number of people in traffic that didn't pull over on my trip home yesterday for an ambulance with siren on and honking its air horn I am of the opinion that more noise will not get the average dumbass drivers attention.
I have observed, but maybe it's just me, that it's very hard to tell what direction the noise is coming from, and being a rider I am probably more interested in knowing which direction it comes from than the average cater.
Beside most of the noise goes toward people behind me, and I am not nearly as concerned about those than those in front of me or coming from a side road.

I think bright lights arranged in a way that makes the bike look wider than it is associated with bright clothing probably are more effective than noise.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #27
ctfz1
corner carver

Do not believe loud pipes accomplish any recognition of position or presence.
Variations in sound are more noticeable, but as stated fire and police sirens often go unheard.

Going to louder horns wire with relay for good result.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #28
OldBiker

Loud pipes destroy hearing.

My riding buddy put loud pipes on his Vulcan and after two long trips he is ready to throw them out and get the stock pipes. He said his ears were ringing from the noise and we couldn't use the universal intercom because his exhaust drowned out his voice.

BTW he got a VFR and is very happy with a "quiet" bike.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #29
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
I have observed, but maybe it's just me, that it's very hard to tell what direction the noise is coming from, and being a rider I am probably more interested in knowing which direction it comes from than the average cater.
Beside most of the noise goes toward people behind me, and I am not nearly as concerned about those than those in front of me or coming from a side road.

I think bright lights arranged in a way that makes the bike look wider than it is associated with bright clothing probably are more effective than noise.
I'll mention my idea again, holographic projector for the bike so you appear from all anglesa as a blaze orange 9 yard dump truck. Technology, where are ya?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #30
XRedJar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
on the shirt above. I have the orange and the blue.

Excessively loud pipes, whether straight pipes on a big V twin or shorties on screaming I-4 Jap bikes, are annoying as hell.

Do they help in traffic? Sure, if you just want to piss off all the cagers.
Do they get you noticed? Yes, as you'll see when the blue lights are flashing in your rear view mirror after that kewl 11k rpm blast around the minivan.
Do they prove you're an idiot? Not concrete proof, but a very good indicator.

Kidding aside, the best tool in traffic, as stated above, is located in your helmet. Use it wisely.

Sounds like the car driver was trying to be nice, but doesn't have a clue about riding motorcycles in traffic. Best to just smile and say thanks.

Completely agree!!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #31
Duken4evr
Map Maven

By the time I am reaching for the horn button, it is not to avoid the accident, it is to punish the bastard who endangered my life. Would love to have a horn that sounds like a freight train...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #32
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
By the time I am reaching for the horn button, it is not to avoid the accident...
This.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #33
phydeaux
Elongated-American

Quote:
By the time I am reaching for the horn button, it is not to avoid the accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
This.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2001 Honda RC51 *
2016 Yamaha S-Max scooter (big bore, etc)
2008 Honda CRF150R (mini-moto) *
* selling
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #34
Allan P.

I put a loud horn on my FZ1 but used the thing so infrequently I couldn't find the horn button quickly enough when I wanted to use it.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #35
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

I have found that a quick rev of the motor sometimes draws the attention of some one who appears to be looking "through" me.

FWIW, I understand running with your brights on also helps.

Also, I have heard that weaving helps - I suspect that when the arc of the weave runs toward the driver who is busy waiting on the side of the road to pull out and kill you, it catches his attention.

I like the loud horn idea but I have not tried it yet.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #36
theunderfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
I have found that a quick rev of the motor sometimes draws the attention of some one who appears to be looking "through" me.

FWIW, I understand running with your brights on also helps.

Also, I have heard that weaving helps - I suspect that when the arc of the weave runs toward the driver who is busy waiting on the side of the road to pull out and kill you, it catches his attention.

I like the loud horn idea but I have not tried it yet.
Those are all techniques with using your brain. But a louder pipe, without employing any of those, is unlikely to help.

I always have my brights on, and try to remember the "bob-and-weave", as it certainly caught my attention the first time I saw it.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #37
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I have also revved my engine, but only after the danger has been dealt with - it is more of a "hey asshole" announcement. Come to think of it, in 10 years I don't think I have ever pressed my FZ1's horn button. Guess I should just to make sure it works

The other factor for me is I typically ride straight to the rural areas/mountains. My bike is admittedly a toy and not transportation - it does not see city duty. It sees freeways, mountains/plains, always run it past 10,000 rpm and 100 mph in some remote place, bring it home, wash, rinse, repeat. Riding is a cleansing and recharging thing for me - the less interaction with other traffic and more with the open road and scenery, the better. Used to live in Long Beach, that is where the real city combat riding took place. So much stupidity, dealing with it was not scary, it was routine and expected. I do not miss that at all...

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 05-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #38
theunderfighter

Quote:
I have also revved my engine, but only after the danger has been dealt with - it is more of a "hey asshole" announcement. Come to think of it, in 10 years I don't think I have ever pressed my FZ1's horn button. Guess I should just to make sure it works

The other factor for me is I typically ride straight to the rural areas/mountains. My bike is admittedly a toy and not transportation - it does not see city duty. It sees freeways, mountains/plains, always run it past 10,000 rpm and 100 mph in some remote place, bring it home, wash, rinse, repeat. Riding is a cleansing and recharging thing for me - the less interaction with other traffic and more with the open road and scenery, the better. Used to live in Long Beach, that is where the real city combat riding took place. So much stupidity, dealing with it was not scary, it was routine and expected. I do not miss that at all...
Duke what did you ride when you were down in LA? I remember you saying you kinda grew up being a hooligan on a SUMO, was that what you were on in LA too?
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #39
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
Duke what did you ride when you were down in LA? I remember you saying you kinda grew up being a hooligan on a SUMO, was that what you were on in LA too?
Lived in Long Beach near Cal State and had an an '83 XL 600 that I rode around in the late 80s. We did not have SMs back then, but that old XL did an excellent job of getting me into and out of go to jail situations. It looked like this, pretty much all the time

On a thread related note, the XL has a Supertrapp on it (remember those?) with a big fat stack of discs. Dunno why I bothered with the discs. A nod to responsibility I suppose, for the spark arrestor function as the bike got trail ridden a lot. They certainly were not for sound reduction. That bike was quite "brappy"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLWheelie.jpg (35.9 KB, 76 views)

Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #40
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Yes.

Anything that can get cars to hear you, horn, exhaust, revving, whatever is good imo.

Chicago traffic.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion