register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #101
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

The worst part of that is when "material" is dripping out of the truck....
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #102
arkie6

We have a lot of chicken processing plants in the area and open-top chicken gut trucks haul the waste by-products to the local rendering plant. That stuff can be pretty rank, especially in the middle of summer. Even worse when they spill some on the highway.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #103
organ donor

Well this thread certainly went to crap
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #104
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

It's just what we do.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #105
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
We have a lot of chicken processing plants in the area and open-top chicken gut trucks haul the waste by-products to the local rendering plant. That stuff can be pretty rank, especially in the middle of summer. Even worse when they spill some on the highway.
This.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #106
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Last summer we road up on one that had overturned at the corner of 412 and 21. The entire contents were spilled right in the middle of the road. Talk about smell...and slick!

Not sure whose job it was to clean that crap up but I have no doubt they were substantially underpaid!

To keep from hijacking...it would be a shame for the new KTM to have to ride through the mess!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #107
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

A BMW rider would just use the other lane and pass. Now I can't get that smell out of my memory. You started some shit here Allan.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #108
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Biodisel, summer EOM
Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #109
Allan P.

Just reached 5K miles and thought you might be interested in an update on the SD-GT .........this is a KTM so I'll start with reliability

I had more problems in the first 2000 miles on this bike than I had in the combined lifetime of the last 5 bikes I've owned, how about that for a statistic! Motor traction control (MTC), quick shifter and cruise control all failed, I had an odd noise from the starter, the cap on the rear brake master cylinder disappeared, some coolant also disappeared and I had a small oil weep from the front forks

Poor quality control at KTM obviously, but thankfully the support from the dealer has been great. The list of stuff that failed is long but interestingly most of it had the same origin which was a failed exhaust valve servo motor. So what on earth has the exhaust valve servo motor got to do with cruise control you might ask? One of the ways the bike controls traction is by adjusting the exhaust valve, I think this only works on engine braking but they are linked. Traction control is more important from a safety point of view than some of the other functions controlled by the exhaust valve, so if there's a problem with the exhaust valve it gives you a traction control (MTC) failure warning on the instrument panel. Being a bit old school (thick) I decided this didn't need to stop me going on the trip I'd planned so told the dealer and we decided to just switch traction control off. I've never had it on a bike before and if it rained I'd just be careful.

Unfortunately, the CPU's which control everything are constantly polling all of the systems on the bike to see if they're functioning even if they are switched off and you are supposed to take it to the dealer immediately after getting any failure warning on the instrument cluster. The dealer knew about the problem and had ordered the servo motor, but I kept on riding waiting for it to arrive. It seems however, that if you ignore one engine or safety related warning on the bike, other systems begin to give problems also. I don't know if this is a design feature or if the systems just lack sufficient isolation from each other, but one by one other things started to give trouble until the dealer changed the exhaust servo motor and re-set the CPU's.

He also changed the torque limiter on the starter motor which cured the odd noise it made, replaced the brake cylinder cover, and cleaned the fork seals which still show a very slight trace of oil but this is diminishing. The problem with the coolant was linked to a characteristic of KTM V-twins which is that when you fill the radiator with coolant, you need to elevate the front wheel by 3 ft or so to allow the air in to escape. The 990 I owned needed this too. If you don't do it , gradually the trapped air migrates elsewhere in the system and the coolant it's been displacing fills the void and "disappears". I don't know if the factory or the dealer fills the bike with coolant but it took 10 minutes to fix. The last 3000 miles have been trouble free.

Since my earlier posts, I've added the last of the crash protectors and reluctantly bought the optional Ergo seat to give my ass a break ($200). The ergo seat isn't very "ergo" but it does help a bit at the cost of about half an inch of extra seat height which I begrudge.

Did I buy the right bike?

Some days when I feel a bit low energy and look at it in the garage it seems like a bit too much bike. Everything from its mad appearance to its high maintenance, unnecessary power and general oddness demands energy. I need to change the rear tire soon for instance and for that I'll need a 60mm socket and a 185 lb/ft torque wrench which I don't posses, in fact I don't know if my arms have 185lb/ft in them either, it doesn't slip easily into your life.

On days when I get to ride it, I feel just as mad as it is and I love it

The last of the crash protection. Upper engine guards protecting the stuff under the tank and the spool on the rear wheel spindle to protect the swing arm.

Upper crash protector from the right side.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #110
grommet
kinetic mentality

I use an impact wrench on the 60mm nut, and mark the location. Just put it back to where it was before. No problems in the 5 or so times I've done it. The pins will keep it from turning anyway.

I was not aware there is an exhaust valve. Perhaps it was taken out with the cat on mine before I got it. I also thought TC was strictly limited to throttle input control, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm over 15K now, continuing trouble-free. And still loving it every time I get on, even to ride to work.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #111
Allan P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I use an impact wrench on the 60mm nut, and mark the location. Just put it back to where it was before. No problems in the 5 or so times I've done it. The pins will keep it from turning anyway.

I was not aware there is an exhaust valve. Perhaps it was taken out with the cat on mine before I got it. I also thought TC was strictly limited to throttle input control, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm over 15K now, continuing trouble-free. And still loving it every time I get on, even to ride to work.
The SD-GT has an exhaust valve attached to the catalytic converter for sure, I'm not so sure about what it influences on the bike, I got all of that in my post from a KTM rep. On the KTM Super Twins forum some people have removed the cat in order to be able to dispense with the exhaust valve servo motor which is a known cause of problems on 2016 models like mine. I want to keep my bike standard if possible, I like the idea of catalytic converters for pollution control and in any case, wouldn't change anything until the original bike has been shown to work reliably. Its also seems to have been a big problem at least on early SD-GT's and I have to think KTM will do something about this.

The last 3000 miles is a start
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #112
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

Nice writeup, Allan. Except for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan P. View Post
...unnecessary power...

I don't understand what it is that you're saying there.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had, and I hope they all get sorted to your satisfaction. Yes, the KTM is a bit of an odd bird out there, but that's one thing that attracted me to mine.

I'm at nearly 2,500 miles in my 1290SA now, and have had - for all practical purposes - zero issues. Other than 2,490 miles of smiles. (The plodding along at 6mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic at rush hour in the 92-degree heat and humidity on I-20 in south Arlington for 10 miles did not produce smiles.)

For anyone who might have missed my Twisted Sisters ride report - my first "adventure" on my 1290 - you can check it out here.

W.A.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #113
Allan P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Nice writeup, Allan. Except for...

I don't understand what it is that you're saying there.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had, and I hope they all get sorted to your satisfaction. Yes, the KTM is a bit of an odd bird out there, but that's one thing that attracted me to mine.

I'm at nearly 2,500 miles in my 1290SA now, and have had - for all practical purposes - zero issues. Other than 2,490 miles of smiles. (The plodding along at 6mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic at rush hour in the 92-degree heat and humidity on I-20 in south Arlington for 10 miles did not produce smiles.)

For anyone who might have missed my Twisted Sisters ride report - my first "adventure" on my 1290 - you can check it out here.

W.A.
I don't understand what you mean " for all practical purposes"

Reliable is always better than unreliable but I'm optimistic about KTM. Looking at many web reports before I bought mine I knew it wasn't going to be a Yamaha, but the list of problem parts didn't seem to be getting longer and KTM has been knocking off the known issues one-by-one. Rear wheel bearings were a real problem at one time for example, but (touches wood) that seems to have been taken care of and not reappeared, and there are a number similar examples. Cougar's new bike looks like a 2017 (?) and I would expect those bikes on average to have fewer problems than 2016's like mine. He also has a ton of experience with KTM's and I'm looking forward to hearing about his impressions experience with owning a SD-GT.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #114
Buccleuch
Let's... Ugh.

The only issue I've had thus far was a slight leak from the radiator cap. The bike would drip 10-12 drops of coolant after a good ride when new. But after a couple of weeks, it stopped. Still, the dealer replaced the cap under warranty.

I'll add that after hearing of all the problems folks (mainly on the ADV board) have had with the Conti Trail Attack II's, when she's ready for new tires, I'll go with something else. A shame, because the TAII's wear like iron, stick like glue, and are generally a great tire.

W.A.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #115
MrVvrroomm
Wait for it

I'm at about 4500 miles on my '16 Super Adventure. I know this will jinx me, but I've not had any problems.

I was hoping I'd be able to get at least 7K out of a rear tire. Not a chance. This thing eats tires. Even more so with traction control switched off.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #116
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean " for all practical purposes"

Reliable is always better than unreliable but I'm optimistic about KTM. Looking at many web reports before I bought mine I knew it wasn't going to be a Yamaha, but the list of problem parts didn't seem to be getting longer and KTM has been knocking off the known issues one-by-one. Rear wheel bearings were a real problem at one time for example, but (touches wood) that seems to have been taken care of and not reappeared, and there are a number similar examples. Cougar's new bike looks like a 2017 (?) and I would expect those bikes on average to have fewer problems than 2016's like mine. He also has a ton of experience with KTM's and I'm looking forward to hearing about his impressions experience with owning a SD-GT.
Yes, mine is a 2017 and, after 5 hours of riding today it's obvious that a different seat is in order. All of my 4 KTM dirt bikes had hard seats but this thing must be made out of concrete. Did you mention that the comfort seat adds some height? That would not be a bad thing for me. I wonder if the electric seat is more comfortable than the stock one. If so, I'd be interested in one.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #117
Allan P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Yes, mine is a 2017 and, after 5 hours of riding today it's obvious that a different seat is in order. All of my 4 KTM dirt bikes had hard seats but this thing must be made out of concrete. Did you mention that the comfort seat adds some height? That would not be a bad thing for me. I wonder if the electric seat is more comfortable than the stock one. If so, I'd be interested in one.
The KTM Ergo seat has heating elements in it which are controlled from the multi instrument on the left handlebar just like the heated grips. I don't think there is a non-heated version but I might be wrong.

I just tried both seats in my garage.

With the pre-load set for one rider and the standard seat, both of my feet are flat on the ground when sitting on the bike in a relaxed position. With the Ergo seat, the balls of my feet are still on the ground but my heels are raised off the ground by about half an inch.

Both seats have about 2500 miles on them now and I think the Ergo seat is marginally more comfortable but the difference isn't great. A week of 250 plus mile days are uncomfortable for me on the standard seat. I've only done 2-day 250 mile trips on the Ergo. I think its better but its still no Gold Wing and gel Bicycle shorts make more of a difference. I paid $200 for mine including installation, the dealer needs to switch on the heating function but not much use for that in Texas right now.

Here's an interesting SD-GT fact for non-owners. You need the dealer to change the clock setting for you because its controlled from the special programing tablet he has and you can't do it yourself. It reportedly has 6CPU's but its also not smart enough to let you chose between a 12 or 24 hour clock. You can however, pull in the clutch lever all by yourself.

Standard seat

Ergo seat
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #118
Damascus

Quote:
Did I buy the right bike?

Some days when I feel a bit low energy and look at it in the garage it seems like a bit too much bike. Everything from its mad appearance to its high maintenance, unnecessary power and general oddness demands energy.

On days when I get to ride it, I feel just as mad as it is and I love it
Sounds just like my Duc.

IMO you bought the right bike because if you hadn't, you would have always been wondering about it, if that makes any sense.

Hopefully, the drama with it will settle down like it finally has with my fancy ride.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #119
grommet
kinetic mentality

Weird. I can set the clock on mine. More primitive electronics no doubt.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #120
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
The KTM Ergo seat has heating elements in it which are controlled from the multi instrument on the left handlebar just like the heated grips. I don't think there is a non-heated version but I might be wrong.

I just tried both seats in my garage.

With the pre-load set for one rider and the standard seat, both of my feet are flat on the ground when sitting on the bike in a relaxed position. With the Ergo seat, the balls of my feet are still on the ground but my heels are raised off the ground by about half an inch.

Both seats have about 2500 miles on them now and I think the Ergo seat is marginally more comfortable but the difference isn't great. A week of 250 plus mile days are uncomfortable for me on the standard seat. I've only done 2-day 250 mile trips on the Ergo. I think its better but its still no Gold Wing and gel Bicycle shorts make more of a difference. I paid $200 for mine including installation, the dealer needs to switch on the heating function but not much use for that in Texas right now.

Here's an interesting SD-GT fact for non-owners. You need the dealer to change the clock setting for you because its controlled from the special programing tablet he has and you can't do it yourself. It reportedly has 6CPU's but its also not smart enough to let you chose between a 12 or 24 hour clock. You can however, pull in the clutch lever all by yourself.

Standard seat

Ergo seat

Actually there is a non electric option available for about $150 but I will be ordering the electric one. I've also added a gas cap connecting tank bag and I've ordered the SW-Motech top box adapter for the Givi Monokey box that I have. I'm thinking of getting a taller screen for when it's cold.

Can the dealer set the clock to 12 hour rather that 24? That's kind of annoying to me. You CAN set the clock yourself but only in the 24 hour mode, at least on mine.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion