register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #61
xtremewlr
Been around for a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
I lost weight since I set my shock up. It felt perfect this evening with my nephew riding pillion but by myself it's really stiff. If I adjust just the preload softer, will that be enough?
Good job on the weight loss!

I'd leave preload alone and dial out some compression. Check Devilsyam post, #44 for the compression adjusters. It's the blue one you should be worried about. Take it out a couple turns to start and then adjust further from there after a test ride. That will soften the shock up some and then you can adjust the rebound settings. Make sure to keep track of what they are set at to start with and where you end up.
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #62
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

I'll try the compression first and see if that helps, thanks.
2005 FZ1: RR Carb Stuff ▪ GPR Speed Cone Muffler ▪ ZG Sport Touring Screen ▪ devilsyam black frame plugs ▪ DanMoto Rearsets ▪ T-Rex Sliders ▪ Dirt Road Seat ▪ Adjustable Levers ▪ Bi Xenon HIDs ▪ Aux Lights ▪ LED Signals ▪ Pod Lights ▪ Kiwav Mirrors ▪ gen2 handlebar ▪ Multiguage ▪ Throttlemeister ▪ R6 Shock ▪ R1 Forks

theWolfTamer Chronicles
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #63
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Sorry, but I disagree.

The extra weight of your nephew compressed the spring further into the operating stroke of the shock.

To replicate that effect solo, take off a couple of notches of spring preload first to re-establish the correct amount of sag.

Leave the damping adjusters alone until you've test ridden, then use them to fine tune the ride.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #64
xtremewlr
Been around for a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree.

The extra weight of your nephew compressed the spring further into the operating stroke of the shock.

To replicate that effect solo, take off a couple of notches of spring preload first to re-establish the correct amount of sag.

Leave the damping adjusters alone until you've test ridden, then use them to fine tune the ride.
I'd take your advice on these bikes over mine any day so no worries!
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #65
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree.

Thanks. I just re-read my notes on what does what and had come to that conclusion too.
2005 FZ1: RR Carb Stuff ▪ GPR Speed Cone Muffler ▪ ZG Sport Touring Screen ▪ devilsyam black frame plugs ▪ DanMoto Rearsets ▪ T-Rex Sliders ▪ Dirt Road Seat ▪ Adjustable Levers ▪ Bi Xenon HIDs ▪ Aux Lights ▪ LED Signals ▪ Pod Lights ▪ Kiwav Mirrors ▪ gen2 handlebar ▪ Multiguage ▪ Throttlemeister ▪ R6 Shock ▪ R1 Forks

theWolfTamer Chronicles
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #66
ZachD
My life is my message!!

Can anyone, who is running the R6 shock on a Gen 1, that weighs around 225 with gear, please tell me what rebound & compression (hi & low speed) settings they are running? I am just curious to see if my settings are similar to others of similar weight on the same shock
ZachD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #67
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremewlr View Post
I'd take your advice on these bikes over mine any day so no worries!
Take nothing for granted when I post at that time of the morning without coffee ...
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #68
ledcat

I believe Dean said, 1 adjustment on preload for every 15-20 lbs. If you look back in this post, I think you should see it.
ledcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #69
ledcat

Looky here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Yep, i now weigh right at 180, and i have my preload at the lowest setting. I tried three notches from full soft first, and the bike rode like a buck board! Even two from full soft was too stiff.
15 turns out on the rebound, three full turns on the low speed, and 15 turns on the high speed compression.
On August second, i will head north with pals for the northwest. Will have fully loaded soft saddlebags, so the preload will go up one, maybe two notches.
After doing over forty of these R6R shock kits, it looks like for every 15 to 20 pounds of weight, go up one notch on the preload setting. Seems to be about correct, for all the riders that i have sent these shocks to. Your results may very, however.
Dean
ledcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #70
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Now I'm at 1 on the preload and 15 clicks on compression. I kept the rest the same as before.

theWolfTamer Chronicles
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #71
GIO
Vecchio Calamaro

Another R6 shock installed.

Thanks to all the smart people on this forum I too have decided to replace my shock with an R6 one and after my first short ride yesterday I must agree with everybody, it is a good upgrade.

Thank you Devilsyam and everybody else, you are great.
Keep on rocking.

Last edited by GIO; 10-04-2012 at 09:10 AM.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #72
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Hey Mike:
The high speed is the gold 12 m.m. nut. I turn that nut clockwise till it bottoms out, then turn it anti-clockwise three turns out. The blue 3 m.m. allen head low speed adjustment bolt/screw, i turn clockwise till it bottoms out, then anti-clockwise 15 clicks. The rebound i turn clockwise till it bottoms out, then anti-clockwise 15 clicks. Just about where they come from the factory. The preload comes set at 4 notches from full soft from the factory, but at my weight that is just too firm. The dog bones we are using are shorter than the ones on a R6R, and the pivot knuckle is shorter on our FZ1's also, if i remember correctly.

As for me, i am doing well in my new to me, digs. Two bedroom, one and half bathroom house, with large living room, and a GARAGE!!!!!!! Large backyard, also. I do miss living three blocks from the beach, but the rent here is less than half of what i was paying in Santa Cruz, and the weather is the same, as i am only about a mile from the ocean here. Very quiet here at night, as it is a retirement community. Have to be 55 or older, to live here. Wish i did not qualify! lol!
Hope you and the L.V. be doing way good. Adios.
Dean
Hey Dean,

So, if you are correct in saying that (1) click is necessary for every 15-20 lbs over the factory preload setting of #(4)...which is probably for a 150-160 lb Japanese rider. And usually the magazine tests say the bike are under sprung. Now, factor in that the FZ1 weighs about 80-90 lbs more and my settings of #(8) out (9) aren't so far off the mark. I guess I like my FZ set-up like a race bike more than a touring bike. To each his own

Mike,

Last edited by AFM674; 11-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #73
Dustydes

R6 shock mod done

Well after weeks of waiting I have finally fitted the shock.
Easy mod to do took less than 1/2hr

This is what I have done

I weigh about 200lb

2015 shock with only 1400 miles
Had a mate press in a new top bush he machined to size so no need for washers.
130mm dog bones (standard height), these are temporary until I decide on length. 6mm flat stainless bar. When I decide on length he can get me some milled to shape.

Spring (Preload) set to 3rd from stiffest. Position 7?
Set Gold nut (High speed) out 3 full turns. It was already
Set Blue screw (Low speed) out 15 clicks it was at 17
Set Silver screw (Rebound) out 15. It already was

These are just a starting point and may/will change
I have not checked sag yet

Only had one chance to ride her as its been tipping it down.

So much more feel to the rear, copes with the road conditions so much better, smooth.
Ive not had the bike long and could only get to about 1/4" of edge of tyre.
As said only rode her for 10 miles but she holds a line so much better and have got to edge of tyre.

More feel = more confidence = more fun = more smiles

Des
Dustydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #74
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
preload - #9 from full soft
high speed compression - 2-3/4 from full soft
low speed compression - 6 clicks from full soft/hard
rebound - 10 clicks out from hard.

I just dropped the rear to #8 on preload. I don't think at the pace I'm riding I'll ever use #1,2,3,4 5 or 6. I like this set-up. I'll post any updates. P.S. Thanks for installing this shock Dean!

Mike,
Well I installed Dean's kit at 21,000 and at 62,000 (and for the last 10k miles) that rear shock was toasted. Every bump was a punch to the ass and would jolt me off, even with me softening stuff around 55K.

Got a new R6 rear, just installed it today, in preparation for "Conner and Jake take Cali" and what a difference. Now it's like someone is hitting me with a pillow when I go over bumps and it's not harsh at all. Can't wait to feel it while hitting the twisties in Cali

Shoutout to Dean again for the amazing starter kit and dogbones, pat for is awesomeley easy guides, and Grommet for answering some questions as well.
And I used the settings from the above quote because that guy hauls assssss.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #75
rv3maker

Does anyone need a R6 shock?

I thought I would repost/link here just in case.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=145309
rv3maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #76
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Actually, although the new rear shock was obviously better than the old one, I was plagued by the new shock in Cali and I was unable to ride spirited confidently. My front forks are Ravenrider mixed with 7.5 at oil and settings set as recommended by Ravenrider for his mod. I weigh about 190-200 depending on gear and day of the week. Sag is NOT set. I know. Bad. Whatever.

Also, I am a decently smooth braker, but also very smooth on the throttle. I do not believe it is either of these mid turn affecting what I am feeling. I know my front end is softish and what I am feeling is rear end. The old shock had 45K and was stiff stiff stiff.

I set the rear shock as I quoted above. I am not very good at describing suspension feedback but I will try. On the highway it did fine, but once I got into anything tighter than a long 60mph sweeper, it feels like it is bucking, the rear isn't planted, and I can feel a bump in the rear transfer itself to the front.

Now I was running it at 10 clicks from full hard on rebound. so I backed it off to 15 clicks of preload per Pats instructions and many others. My preload was set at #2 and so I increased that to 3#. So all the settings are now at what it was with my other shock was, and as many use. Still, rear end doesn't feel planed, bumps throw it off line, and the bike feels like it's all over in the tight curves. It holds a line semi okay, but it is not giving me near the confidence the old stiff worn shock did.

Any advice or tips? It really bummed me out on my trip, I was significantly slower and I didn't feel confident mid turn or pre corner like normal.

BruinFZ1 set my front to really hard and that didn't help either, and then I switched both front and rear back to recommended settings by Raven Rider and then Pat for the rear

Also have a roadsmart 2 rear which I have never used before and this was the first time in the twists. Set it at 37 cold. Couldn't get any real feedback from it either, didn't have any slips and used it mostly edge to edge. But maybe it's got something to do with it?.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #77
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

You really need to start over,Set your sag, Sag and the correct springs are the very important in the way your bike will handle. Rebound and compression will be sorted out to how you ride and what you like, fast pace or just cruising, keep in mind different tires do make your settings feel different hard side walls vs soft side walls. I weigh around 225 with gear, I'm running Racetech springs and Gold valve kit in my forks, with the preload backed out all the way I have 33mm sag on front with me on bike, I had a R6 shock on the rear but I had to run the preload 1 notch from full preload to get 32mm sag, what I did not like about that was the rear always felt like to much energy was in the spring, tryed diffrent rebound settings but it still felt like it needed a stronger spring so as to back off the preload for smoother working setup. So for what it would cost to respring it to my weigh I got a 2013 BMW shock and a Honda CBR spring for around 90 bucks, now have 33mm in rear shock works awesome. I'm running Bridgestone S21s at 36psi front 38psi rear forks have 6mm showing at triple clamps rear is 10mm higher than what stock was. bike turns fast and holds line, go's where you point it. This setup works great for me, but everyone has there own liking. Set your SAG first.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #78
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Ideally yes, I would set sag. But it worked great before, and I even did a trackday with the worn out rear shock and it felt better than this new 1000 mile R6 rear shock. So again, back to my original intent and trying to get insight.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #79
ctfz1
corner carver

It is in the threads.
A machine shop can easily bore the top sleeve from 10mm to 12mm. Or close decimal inch equivalent.
Superglue two washers on bushing (about 2mm each).
You will need different length dogbones.

Dean's "kit" does all that plus he find low mileage shocks. Worth doing.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #80
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfz1 View Post
It is in the threads.
A machine shop can easily bore the top sleeve from 10mm to 12mm. Or close decimal inch equivalent.
Superglue two washers on bushing (about 2mm each).
You will need different length dogbones.

Dean's "kit" does all that plus he find low mileage shocks. Worth doing.
???? I already had deans kit. Put 43K miles and so just got a new R6 shock and already mounted it.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering