click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #10001
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Finally got it out for a ride. I've had shingles the past 2 weeks (what a PITA that disease is. If you haven't had it, get the vaccination....) so haven't been able to ride. I had to run an errand in my lunch break (working from home today) so I thought I'd take the bike. Seeing as though I knew I wouldn't be riding it I had put it on the tender. I don't usually do this when I leave the bike in the drive, so when I jumped on it from the other side I didn't realize it was still on. I took off and round the first corner some workmen waived me down and pointed at the back of my bike. SH!T the tender was dragging along behind :. Luckily I had only gone about 100m and nothing was damaged other than a few scratched on it. unplugged it and pulled it off, put it in the backpack, thanked the workmen and rode of nice and calmly, for a few blocks, Had an old lady do U tun in front of me at snails pace, then decided to have fun the rest of the way.

Got home, put the bike back in the drive, put the tender back where it should go and did not plug it into the bike - I am riding it in to work tomorrow and don't need that to happen again in the morning.....
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #10002
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Just a winter cleaning.

Just gave her a thorough cleaning and chain lube & adjust. Putting some tires on and a oil change in a few weeks...plus some new rear brake pads. I do have matching black and gold rims. I damaged my front gold rim...rotor actually while playing with an R1M at a trackday. I have a spare gold rim and more oem rotors. She's a real looker IMO

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dyywXs]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aSuG2b]

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.

Last edited by AFM674; 12-18-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added picture
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #10003
fermic37

that makes me wanna keep my sprocket cover off.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #10004
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
Just gave her a thorough cleaning and chain lube & adjust. Putting some tires on and a oil change in a few weeks...plus some new rear brake pads. I do have matching black and gold rims. I damaged my front gold rim...rotor actually while playing with an R1M at a trackday. I have a spare gold rim and more oem rotors. She's a real looker IMO

Looks good, can you post the same pictures without the color filter on? I just ordered black sprocket and gold chain from PJ would love to see it in it's raw form.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #10005
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

I gots me a Christmas gift coming for the bike. Ordered from PJ. Tracking says delivery on Saturday. Stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #10006
PT Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post

She certainly is a looker!
PT Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #10007
okrider

The used BMW (Yuasa) battery I had in my bike could maybe hold charge for a day so I swapped it for a Motobatt one. Motobatt is the best battery and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. (JK, please don't turn this into a battery thread).

Went for a ride, I realized I missed riding my FZ1. Going to be swapping fork caps (R1 forks) with the used bent R1 forks I bought on ebay last week. Hopefully that fixes the weird rebound adjuster popping issue
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #10008
jointbeaker

added a Ram mount phone holder to the Gen2.

Made by a guy out in Montana, Mounts to a RAM ball, is sturdy, and made in the USA.

Shown is my old Note4 in both Vertical and Horizontal positions.

holder 'closed'

holder 'open'

jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #10009
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Ive seen those style mounts before, I’d still add a ram phone tether. They’re super cheap on eBay. And will help secure your phone further.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #10010
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Ive seen those style mounts before, I’d still add a ram phone tether. They’re super cheap on eBay. And will help secure your phone further.
I don't know of another mount quite like this one, and part of the appeal was not to have to use any sort of tether to go along with it...
Old 12-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #10011
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
I don't know of another mount quite like this one, and part of the appeal was not to have to use any sort of tether to go along with it...
It’s your phone, but the points of contact look pretty close on that mount. Many untethered phones have been lost from the x grip holders. The $6 tether is just cheap insurance.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #10012
jointbeaker

Quote:
It’s your phone, but the points of contact look pretty close on that mount. Many untethered phones have been lost from the x grip holders. The $6 tether is just cheap insurance.
This was designed to be an adventure bike mount, and IMO is considerably different than the spring function/design of the x-grip.

Appreciate the concern. Cheers.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #10013
OldBiker

I use the X mount and have been for the past five years and 32,000 miles without any issues. I do use a tether as of recently because the phones are getting bigger.

The only person that lost a phone from an X mount style was using a very cheap Chinese knockoff of RAM and the X fingers actually bent. He has since switched to RAM even though it cost three times more.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #10014
okrider

I have had my phone come off of a Ram brand X-grip before. This was before they started including the tethers. Three consecutive potholes on the NJ turnpike and found my phone dangling by my knee hanging onto the charging cord. I'm glad they've started including the tethers.

Jointbeaker, the phone holder you have looks nice, I like that you can easily go from portrait to landscape (turn it sideways).
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #10015
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

the dirt bike guys I ride with use the X-grip with no tether and don't have any issues on our trails out here. I find it pretty ballsy, but impressive either way. That said, I use the tether as well, cheap insurance.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #10016
jointbeaker

I've never seen an actual X-Grip to be honest...but I'm assuming it uses some sort of spring mechanism to lock the device in it's rubberized grips, correct?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #10017
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
I've never seen an actual X-Grip to be honest...but I'm assuming it uses some sort of spring mechanism to lock the device in it's rubberized grips, correct?
Yes. Looks like yours is a ratcheting style right? Fwiw I do like those a bit better, it’s definitely easier to get your phone in and out of the mount.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #10018
jointbeaker

Quote:
Yes. Looks like yours is a ratcheting style right? Fwiw I do like those a bit better, it’s definitely easier to get your phone in and out of the mount.
More or less ratcheting, yes. A quick adjust button/tab on the side, and then a ball bearing type knob at the base, that turns a micro adjusting mechanism.

Pretty neat setup. Sort of expensive, but I can apprecaite a well made product, designed and made in the states. I'd love to have the same sort of small business myself.

http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php...ze-phone-mount
Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #10019
_Will_

Did an oil change this week, installed a damper, and gave it a much needed bath which of course changed today’s forecast from mostly clear to a day of constant rain and fog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AEF615CF-F7B9-4102-B39F-8F815350B576.jpeg (138.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg 48AE4EC3-4D53-4ED2-85E5-2E8542D2EBAA.jpeg (116.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg B1670C98-DF55-4F84-BCC0-ED7BF3F46AE1.jpeg (163.7 KB, 84 views)
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #10020
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Original picture from my cell phone...chain still looks very gold.

My cell phone takes terrible photos so I usually try and adjust the contrast etc. My chain still looks very gold. I just keep my shit clean. Thanks for the compliments on my bike...I obviously love my bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q92QbH]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b8GWJy]

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion