click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #10181
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
If it's not too old, they are not all that bad when BBQ'd.
LOL

I looked for him when I came back through the next morning. I figured he would be good on the smoker with mesquite. Couldn't find him though.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #10182
_Will_

New tires, power RS front and Road 5 rear. I got 5151 miles from the same combo with good results. A little tread left on the tires but not enough to get through the rally so had them swapped. The rear was only to the bars in a few spots but was thin enough to have some flex at lean that was no fun, off the bike it felt very thin to confirm this.

New sprockets, was stock and went to 16/47. Thanks again to Firefly for the rear sprocket and to Wiley for the speedo healer to make it all right. A quick spin and I’m digging how they feel. Almost seems smoother. Brought my rear wheel in almost exactly 1 cm.

And hit a set of 4’s, might break 50k this year if timing permits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6A86C219-B52C-4D87-A2CD-C8743B3287B1.jpeg (95.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpeg 0109E2D5-E69E-4EE6-8C5C-D09A9E4FCA20.jpeg (107.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpeg A5654866-246C-4A27-A3A5-AB13C260789B.jpeg (126.0 KB, 189 views)
_Will_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #10183
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Yeah I’m sad I didn’t get the free speedohealer. Need that for my 16/45 gearing Gen 2 as well!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #10184
Newtown Chris

New (badly needed) chain. Went with a Vortex racing sprocket kit as well. New gearing is 16/47...WOT pulls up the front in 1st and 2nd (I weigh 168) +1 fun factor....

Almost forgot...kept blowing xenon's landing wheelies, took the HID rat's nest of wires, ballasts, etc out and replaced with some LED's rated at 6500k. Looks just as good as the xenons if not better...
Newtown Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #10185
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown Chris View Post
New (badly needed) chain. Went with a Vortex racing sprocket kit as well. New gearing is 16/47...WOT pulls up the front in 1st and 2nd (I weigh 168) +1 fun factor....

Almost forgot...kept blowing xenon's landing wheelies, took the HID rat's nest of wires, ballasts, etc out and replaced with some LED's rated at 6500k. Looks just as good as the xenons if not better...
EXACTLY. Did the same last year. Got rid all those little boxes, a mile of wire, multiple little connectors, and lights that might occasionally "fail to fire", or die mid-ride. I got some cheap ones Andy posted. As simple as a normal bulb replacement. Plugged them in and done. At least as good as the HID. Looking forward to comparing them against other more expensive versions at the rally.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #10186
OldBiker

Cleaned off all the bug carcasses using Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover, stuff works great and leaves a nice shine.

Sprayed Lemon Pledge on the windscreen which helps remove the bugs and leaves that fresh lemony scent.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #10187
isleoman

Looking to put the snick snick back into Gen 1 shifting.

Been having sloppy shifting the last few months, so took a look at the shift rod and attached heim joints.

One problem was the bolt that holds the R1 shift lever to the shift shaft spline. Bolt was loose, but even after tightening it, it was still moving in and out on the shaft. Put new bolt on and it now stays in place once tightened.

The other problem is where the shift lever sits on the foot rest. After 250K miles it's getting a little sloppy, allowing the lever to laterally rotate a few degrees on the foot rest pivot shaft. When I shift up I can feel the shift lever rotate clockwise (looking forward) very slightly.

Re-greased it and put it back together, but need to start looking for a replacement. Come on Yamaha can't you make some parts that last?

Going for a ride now in search of snick, so we'll see if it's better.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #10188
fermic37

installed my new rear s21 last night, never have I fought so hard on a tire, idk what my deal was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 66B3A4E5-3AC9-46F7-995D-CADE7B308AF3.jpeg (126.0 KB, 110 views)
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #10189
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Last week I finally got around to swapping out shocks from the '02 I bought a year and half ago. The tired R6 shock and aluminum dog bones went on the black bike, the properly set-up PENSKE and stock dog bones went on my bike.

Also installed a Power RS front, since the Pilot Power 3's are gone. The rear PR2 probably didn't even have 1k on it yet, so left it as is.

Loaded bike on hitch hauler and proceeded to the mountains. Just didn't feel like slogging up and back in rain, two-up. Have to say, it was nice to ride home cool and dry while talking about what a great weekend we had with friends.

First ride was two-up over to Deals Gap from Fontana. Both of us commenting how much more smooth and fluid it felt even over bumpy spots. That section of 28 gave good first impressions of what was to come. Once at the crossroads, I proceeded to ride up the hilll solo, with a partially damp road surface.

All I can say is the bike felt like she was on rails. Not that I was cooking on those tight twisties in the wet, but even so I kept a very solid, even pace which continued to rise until I was at the overlook. Super smooth and incredibly stable, she really felt transformed into a newer, better bike. Even when the R6 shock was new, the handling and ride were not even close to how good it is now. Not even close.

I did get to spend some time Saturday evening just going up and down the hill solo as well. It was fantastic how well it handled and rode, I just couldn't get enough and really fell in love with the bike all over again. Fatigue and darkness were starting to set in so I called it day and headed back over to Fontana to catch up with the crew and some dinner.

I think the afterglow was still very apparent when I sat down at the dinner table. Barbara asked me if I'd had a smoke after I described the good time I had. Yeah, it was that good.

Next stop, taking my R1 forks to Traxxion soon for rebuild and setup, then get the front end swapped to match the rear. Interestingly, besides a bit of brake dive (which I think has helped me learn to be as smooth as I can be on the brakes), the front still seems to be pretty good. I'm sure I'll see how sloppy it is once I upgrade. I remember riding RavenRiders Gen I with R1 front a few years ago. Changing your line mid-corner was pretty easy.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #10190
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
installed my new rear s21 last night, never have I fought so hard on a tire, idk what my deal was.
I guess that's just how they are, I had the hardest time installing an S21 rear and tore the lip at the end.
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #10191
fermic37

whats weird is, this is my 3rd or 4th s21 rear I have installed and they always went on easy.

this how ever was the only one I didn't put a hair dryer in to warm it up, perhaps that really does make that much of a difference.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #10192
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Last week I finally got around to swapping out shocks from the '02 I bought a year and half ago. The tired R6 shock and aluminum dog bones went on the black bike, the properly set-up PENSKE and stock dog bones went on my bike.

Also installed a Power RS front, since the Pilot Power 3's are gone. The rear PR2 probably didn't even have 1k on it yet, so left it as is.

Loaded bike on hitch hauler and proceeded to the mountains. Just didn't feel like slogging up and back in rain, two-up. Have to say, it was nice to ride home cool and dry while talking about what a great weekend we had with friends.

First ride was two-up over to Deals Gap from Fontana. Both of us commenting how much more smooth and fluid it felt even over bumpy spots. That section of 28 gave good first impressions of what was to come. Once at the crossroads, I proceeded to ride up the hilll solo, with a partially damp road surface.

All I can say is the bike felt like she was on rails. Not that I was cooking on those tight twisties in the wet, but even so I kept a very solid, even pace which continued to rise until I was at the overlook. Super smooth and incredibly stable, she really felt transformed into a newer, better bike. Even when the R6 shock was new, the handling and ride were not even close to how good it is now. Not even close.

I did get to spend some time Saturday evening just going up and down the hill solo as well. It was fantastic how well it handled and rode, I just couldn't get enough and really fell in love with the bike all over again. Fatigue and darkness were starting to set in so I called it day and headed back over to Fontana to catch up with the crew and some dinner.

I think the afterglow was still very apparent when I sat down at the dinner table. Barbara asked me if I'd had a smoke after I described the good time I had. Yeah, it was that good.

Next stop, taking my R1 forks to Traxxion soon for rebuild and setup, then get the front end swapped to match the rear. Interestingly, besides a bit of brake dive (which I think has helped me learn to be as smooth as I can be on the brakes), the front still seems to be pretty good. I'm sure I'll see how sloppy it is once I upgrade. I remember riding RavenRiders Gen I with R1 front a few years ago. Changing your line mid-corner was pretty easy.
I have a Penske set up on my main Gen 1 and a BMW shock w/700Lb spring on my spare Gen 1. Both bikes have the heavier Traxxion springs in the stock forks. Really not much difference between the two in handling.

The Penske will need a re-work at the end of this season. Probably has 100K on it. I'm waiting for my official Sestercentennial to install the 5th set of replacement forks on the main bike. One of these decades I may go to an R1 front on the low mile spare bike.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #10193
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
I have a Penske set up on my main Gen 1 and a BMW shock w/700Lb spring on my spare Gen 1. Both bikes have the heavier Traxxion springs in the stock forks. Really not much difference between the two in handling.

The Penske will need a re-work at the end of this season. Probably has 100K on it. I'm waiting for my official Sestercentennial to install the 5th set of replacement forks on the main bike. One of these decades I may go to an R1 front on the low mile spare bike.
Well plans change over night and the forks needed to be changed before the caliper got oil on it from a leaking fork seal.. Got the new forks on, had changed the fluid in them when I bought them a couple of years ago.

Changed the oil while I was doing the other work.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #10194
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
whats weird is, this is my 3rd or 4th s21 rear I have installed and they always went on easy.

this how ever was the only one I didn't put a hair dryer in to warm it up, perhaps that really does make that much of a difference.
I put fresh tires in a closed-up vehicle facing the sun. Have to get them warm first.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #10195
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
Looking to put the snick snick back into Gen 1 shifting.

Been having sloppy shifting the last few months, so took a look at the shift rod and attached heim joints.

One problem was the bolt that holds the R1 shift lever to the shift shaft spline. Bolt was loose, but even after tightening it, it was still moving in and out on the shaft. Put new bolt on and it now stays in place once tightened.

The other problem is where the shift lever sits on the foot rest. After 250K miles it's getting a little sloppy, allowing the lever to laterally rotate a few degrees on the foot rest pivot shaft. When I shift up I can feel the shift lever rotate clockwise (looking forward) very slightly.

Re-greased it and put it back together, but need to start looking for a replacement. Come on Yamaha can't you make some parts that last?

Going for a ride now in search of snick, so we'll see if it's better.
Wow 250K ......that's impressive!
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #10196
old77zrider

Boring by comparison to all of the real work being done above but....

Ive been riding the Concours for the last year and my son has been doing a lot of woodworking in the garage. The FZ1 was looking real pathetic with a ton of saw dust on it so I wheeled her out and washed her. Fired her up and once she was firing on all four cylinder it sounded real sweet. Tthen the heavens opened up.

Got to wait till tomorrow to take her for a ride.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #10197
Newtown Chris

Gen2, did badly needed brakes. Surprised this thing was even stopping...
Newtown Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #10198
oldjeep

Changed the oil, then cleaned the floor.
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #10199
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Changed the oil, then cleaned the floor.
You’re suppose to use a drain pan!

MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #10200
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
You’re suppose to use a drain pan!

Underestimated how sloppy a job it is. My kawasaki is a much cleaner filter change.
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion