click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
ORBlackFZ1

What is difference between YUAM624B4 and YT14B-BS?

Hi everyone:

It is time for a new battery in my 2002 FZ1. It has been sitting on a battery tender for the last 10 years, when the bike isn't being ridden, but I noticed that it is getting a little weak during starting. I still have to test the battery further, but I thought I would do the research first.

I would really like to put an OEM or better in the bike. I don't really want to be changing batteries every couple of years. So I have been looking at the Yuasa brand and I am confused by a couple of web pages.

Most of the motorcycle web pages list a Yuasa YT14B-BS as the replacement battery for the 2002 FZ1. https://www.yuasabatteries.com/batte...hicle_id=29629

Some of the websites are listing the Yuasa YUAM624B4 at over a 40% reduction in price. https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM624.../dp/B001AWDX92

Does anyone know the difference between YUAM624B4 and YT14B-BS?

The Yuasabatteries.com doesn't even list a model # of YUAM624B4.

Thanks,
Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
FZ1mjk

Eric:

YT14B-BS is shown on the case of the Amazon battery, that you provided the link to. Are you sure that YUAM624B4 is not Amazon's own identifier for the YT14B-BS?

The graphics on the case of the Amazon battery are not the same as those of Yuasa. They look like cheap. Maybe it's a knock-off. I'd err on the side of caution, and get the real Yuasa battery if the funds were there for its purchase.
FZ1mjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
NHFZ1
Marco Polo wanna be

Yuasa batteries are expensive but they rule.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1mjk View Post
YT14B-BS is shown on the case of the Amazon battery, that you provided the link to. Are you sure that YUAM624B4 is not Amazon's own identifier for the YT14B-BS?
Interesting observation...a quick search with Google shows lots of places using the "yuasa yuam624b4" model #. Some use the same photo that is on the official Yuasa website, some use the photo that is on Amazon and some use both. Makes me think that it is a "knock-off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1mjk View Post
The graphics on the case of the Amazon battery are not the same as those of Yuasa. They look like cheap. Maybe it's a knock-off. I'd err on the side of caution, and get the real Yuasa battery if the funds were there for its purchase.
The graphics and text was what started me wondering about it being a "knock-off". The Amazon reviews are very in-consistant.

For the extra $60, I think that I will just order from Cycle Gear (I have two of them within 15 miles of my house). I am not into taking chances with my FZ1 out in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks for your quick response,
Eric
Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFZ1 View Post
Yuasa batteries are expensive but they rule.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My experience has been the same over the past 18 years with five (5) Yuasa batteries in three (3) bikes. I just don't recall it being this difficult to find the "real" Yuasa before. The last one I purchased from the local Yamaha shop in 2015.

Eric
Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
ORBlackFZ1

Any opinions on the Parts Unlimited AGM? Good? Bad?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/400...rd-agm-battery

Eric
Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
oldjeep

Go all the way and get a liPo battery. You'll appreciate the power. Mine is a Shorai
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Any opinions on the Parts Unlimited AGM? Good? Bad?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/400...rd-agm-battery

Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Go all the way and get a liPo battery. You'll appreciate the power. Mine is a Shorai
Personally, after looking into batteries, I found that AGM batteries were the best bet for bikes, and I've been impressed with them.

Main reason I don't like the idea of a lithium battery comes down to a saftey factor. Lead acid AGM batteries won't be as explosive if you go down and something disturbs the battery. Lithium are certainly more energy dense, and last 2x as long, but I feel safer with a sealed AGM battery under the seat. I'm not racing so the weigh savings don't matter to me.

As far as brand, I've ran 2 bikemaster AGM batteries in my bikes and the only reason I've had 2 is because I ran down the first on after leaving my bikes ignition on and draining the battery. It was 5 years old at that point and was running strong until that. Decided to get a new one.

I suggest bikemaster because I've never left my bike on a tender and I'm in New England. Bike sits dormant for 5-7 months a year and it always starts right up no issues.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/b...um-ii-battery/ that would be the right one for a gen1.
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Tried the EarthX lithium, it died then went up in smoke. Incredible meltdown, and although there was no fire, I couldn't tell at the time. Bike was in the garage, next the the '71 Camaro, so my first reaction to the geyser of smoke pouring from the bike was, "FIRE!". So, I hit it with the extinguisher hanging on the wall. That was absolutely the worst mess to clean up. That shit went into the airbox and everywhere.

That year and half old, expensive lithium replaced the OEM, that was 10 or 11 years old. Good stuff that original Yuasa. I ended up replacing the melted lithium with a $50 generic AGM from Amazon. I also bought the "standard size", not the exact fit for Gen I, which is a bit more unique. It requires a minor battery box mod using a small saw. I've now done this for both Gen I's I have. The upside to that is should you need a battery while traveling, the standard size is much more readily available.

Those batteries do not sit on tenders, I don't ride as much currently, so they sit unattended for weeks, but always starting right up when needed. Even if they only last for 5 years, I'm happy.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Tried the EarthX lithium, it died then went up in smoke. Incredible meltdown, and although there was no fire, I couldn't tell at the time. Bike was in the garage, next the the '71 Camaro, so my first reaction to the geyser of smoke pouring from the bike was, "FIRE!". So, I hit it with the extinguisher hanging on the wall. That was absolutely the worst mess to clean up. That shit went into the airbox and everywhere.

That year and half old, expensive lithium replaced the OEM, that was 10 or 11 years old. Good stuff that original Yuasa. I ended up replacing the melted lithium with a $50 generic AGM from Amazon. I also bought the "standard size", not the exact fit for Gen I, which is a bit more unique. It requires a minor battery box mod using a small saw. I've now done this for both Gen I's I have. The upside to that is should you need a battery while traveling, the standard size is much more readily available.

Those batteries do not sit on tenders, I don't ride as much currently, so they sit unattended for weeks, but always starting right up when needed. Even if they only last for 5 years, I'm happy.
Glad your bike didn't burn. That's exactly what I was afraid of after looking into lithium. Cons outwiegh the pros.

AGM all the way. It's sealed, can't leak, and holds a charge unattended very well.
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #11
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

For me it was an experiment, which unfortunately did not work out well. I think I'm in the minority. I just got lucky.

So yeah, cheap AGM from now on.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #12
ORBlackFZ1

Thanks everyone for the input.

I went ahead and purchased a Yuasa from Cycle Gear. I ordered it on Tuesday (3/17/2020) and it arrived on Friday. Cost was $154.

I have a new Battery Tender Plus (12v, 1.25amp) coming that works with AGM batteries. I purchased my current Battery Tender in 2003. It works well, but I couldn't tell if it works with the AGM batteries, so I thought I should just get a new one.

Eric
Old 03-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
LiquidSilver
Fly Eagles Fly

2 things:

The OEM on the gen 1 is a GS battery not a Yuasa. Yuasa was OEM for so many bikes for so long, it's often just a wrong assumption.

The Parts Unlimited may be a Rebadged Scorpion. The gold colored terminals and 210cca are very rare among China made batteries. They have a good reputation when it comes to affordable batteries. And that price seems to be in line with what they sell for.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #14
ORBlackFZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
2 things:
The OEM on the gen 1 is a GS battery not a Yuasa. Yuasa was OEM for so many bikes for so long, it's often just a wrong assumption.
Yes, you are correct (See photo below of my FZ1 replacement battery from the local Yamaha dealer around 2010). I sometimes have trouble keeping all the buyouts, mergers, etc. straight...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa

"GS Yuasa

In 2004, Yuasa Corporation merged with Japan Storage Battery to form GS Yuasa Corporation.

GS Yuasa has 9 plants for manufacturing industrial lead-acid and NiCd batteries and 5 plants for Li-Ion cells. GS Yuasa also sells other products including power supplies, lamps and motorcycle batteries.[8] Now the top power sports battery producer, Yuasa provides nearly 90% of the batteries used in power sport vehicles in North America.[9] "

It is just easier for me to call the battery manufacturer Yuasa, since most people recognize the name. When I tried to use GS Japan Storage Company, I got told it was Yuasa, so I just go along with it.

Here is another good site for the history of the company: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/company/hist...y-corporation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
The Parts Unlimited may be a Rebadged Scorpion. The gold colored terminals and 210cca are very rare among China made batteries. They have a good reputation when it comes to affordable batteries. And that price seems to be in line with what they sell for.
Thanks. That information is good to know, since my 2007 Hayabusa is about due for a new battery.

Thanks for your input,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0802_Shrunk.jpg (159.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
eskimo619

I just ordered a new battery for my 03 and went with a yuasa from rockymountainatv.com. Was $116 plus tax with free 2 day shipping. I was going to go with an OEM battery but after speaking with their customer service rep I was told the OEM battery only had a 30 day warranty. The yuasa has a year warranty. Of course both will probably last a similar amount of time if maintained but having the longer warranty was key for me in case anything did happen in the short term. Battery that was in the bike looked to be the original battery as the bike only has 3,042 miles and was stored for the last 10 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_screenshot_20200401-151104_samsung_internet.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
eskimo619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance