register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old Today, 08:23 AM   #41
SoCalFZRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
... Learn ALL the positions on the instrument -including thumb position.
You issue tough lessons! Completely understand why this is necessary. Don't know what the thumb position is unless you are referring to playing at the nut and open strings. Coming from a short scale I started on the jazz at the 5th fret, then have been working my way to the lower positions. The 7th position is plenty playable, the 8th and higher I'm finding more difficult.

Quote:
... walk 10ths ...
You mean walk to the 10th note in a (diatonic) scale, i.e. the 3rd in the next octave?

Quote:
... different timbre... dead ...
Even with my crappy hearing this has been pretty obvious, but couldn't tell you which string timbre fit the music better.

Quote:
... a Precision bass has a shorter neck than a Jazz bass.
My research showed both had a 34-in scale length, although it appears the P bass body is shorter.
SoCalFZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:21 PM   #42
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFZRider View Post
You issue tough lessons! Don't know what the thumb position is unless you are referring to playing at the nut and open strings.
Whatever it takes to get the job done I say... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_position

Quote:
Coming from a short scale I started on the jazz at the 5th fret, then have been working my way to the lower positions. The 7th position is plenty playable, the 8th and higher I'm finding more difficult.
I'm not sure we're talking apples & apples, so I'm not understanding what you're saying. I've never seen a bass neck with 8 positions. That's more than the neck accommodates on the instruments I'm familiar with. Each position defined by the move of your hand up the neck as you run out of fingers, is how I know to identify them. Possibly you're referring to each degree of the chromatic scale on the fingerboard(starting at the nut) on the E string as a position?

Quote:
You mean walk to the 10th note in a (diatonic) scale, i.e. the 3rd in the next octave?
Close! I was referring to playing a 10th interval along with the root. Eg. Play "C" on the E string with your thumb and an "E" on the G string at the same time. If you sound them together, you get a 10th chord. Walking lines like that is a great way to fill in the bottom when playing in a trio or quartet when someone is soloing(taking a ride). ;)

10ths Are also ubiquitous in funk & disco music. Players jump across the strings to get the 10th. In this eg. you could bar the E string with ur index finger instead of ur thumb. Same technique applies playing double stops or triads either in unison or as broken arps - another rudiment.

Be that as it may, I mentioned 10ths only to offer you another practical application for practicing single string scales & arps. When U play by damping either of the lower 2 strings with your thumb, you'll be there forever if you have to think about each note location and u'll find ur too slow changing positions to play that technique above a ballad tempo.

Quote:
Even with my crappy hearing this has been pretty obvious, but couldn't tell you which string timbre fit the music better.
It's obvious to YOU because you have "big ears" regardless of your hearing loss. You know how to listen. Many people (even "musicians") don't. As to which to use, it's a matter of taste-at least in part, I suppose. If you need to sustain a note for a long period of time & don't want to restrike it, it's useful to know where to get it, quickly without thinking about it. More directly to your comment, as an obvious example, you might want to play an open string instead of a fingered note of the same pitch in that context. It's that principle I'm referring to, except that the choice is between 2 or 3 notes of the same pitch that are both fingered. I hope my explanation is clear.

Quote:
My research showed both had a 34-in scale length, although it appears the P bass body is shorter.
That's interesting! I had a friend with a Jazz bass who let me play around with his now and then. That's my experience with them, other than playing a rare few notes on them in music stores when bored & waiting for a friend.

I can say with certainty, that it was common practice back in the day(pre-CBS) to put Precision necks on Jazz basses & vice versa. Perhaps it was because Jazz and Precision necks were different widths? Either way, it's my recollection that the Jazz neck was more tiring to play and required greater stretch of the fingers. If you say it isn't possible & have researched it, then go with that, my recollection could well be flawed - I'm a KB player after all... & an aging one at that ;)

My main point to you was, that short scale necks are easier to learn on(and play faster), but will require some adjustment to switch to a long scale neck later. Pick your poison. My disposition is to encourage people learning an instrument to remove as many physical barriers to learning as possible, so they can stay relaxed(& practice) for longer periods of time, while concentrating on the musical objectives rather than physical hurdles. Take it for what it's worth... and know that my intent is to assist and support your efforts(& others with similar objectives - should they be lurking), as best I can.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 PM   #43
SoCalFZRider

Quote:
... Possibly you're referring to each degree of the chromatic scale on the fingerboard(starting at the nut) on the E string as a position? ...

short scale necks ...
Position? - Basically, or simply which fret you're starting on. This is what the first book I bought teaches. "G" on the "E" string would be called 3rd position.

I like these "higher positions" because the frets are closer together, and it allows playing full octaves in I, IV, V chord progressions (among others) without significant hand shifting on the fretboard. Hence, "7th position" enables playing B scale octave blues in this manner. The flip side is there's another string to jump over, and you start getting into those dead notes with what sounds to me like a "darker" timbre as compared to a "brighter" timbre with B played on the A string. Of course 12-bar B blues over the full octave can be played starting at the 2nd fret on the A string and going lower in pitch for E and F# without a lot of hand shifting. B-flat or A scale blues doesn't have the same luxury.

Short scale necks? - yes, much easier to play. Fender Japan made some 32 inch scale basses that from what I understand aren't available new any longer. Fender P bass does look like it's shorter overall than a J bass.

Last edited by SoCalFZRider; Today at 07:48 PM.
SoCalFZRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry