register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Triumph Tiger 800

Has anybody owned or rented one of these bikes? Looking to downsize the amount of bikes I have, and one of these looks like a good middle ground adventure dual sport. A good compromise between my FZ1 and my DR650, capable at both without leaving you lacking too much on or off road.

Understandably it wonít be as good as my DR off road, but will be more pleasant on the way to the trails. Because of the amount and technical difficulty of the trails here in N Ga, Iíll probably be going for the 800 model, over the 1200 explorer. Will be less of a handful in the woods, but I wish they offered the 800 with the shaft drive the 1200 has, and other goodies like keyless ignition.

Thanks to some changes at work, Iíll likely be looking at Ď17 and Ď18 models. But I require the lowered model of the 800.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b...ture/tiger-800

As long as Iím looking at new models of bikes, what others should I take a look at in the same category? Would prefer it to be under 1000cc and less than a 30 inch seat height. Iíve also sat on the bmw f700gs, and it was nice, but a tad high, with not as much gadgets as the triumph as standard. Iím not very interested in the fj09.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Rented a '16 XCX for a couple weeks in Ireland. Think there are a few variants but that was a model with 21/17 wire rims. Loved the engine. Transmission was Yamaha-like. Was sight-seeing and on a lot of tight roads so didn't ride it all that hard nor off road beyond a short gravel stint or two. Handled pretty well, comfortable on the highway. It felt like a big bike and didn't have the lowest cg in the world. At the end of the day (a Wednesday, sure yeah, Wednesday) it was a 500-ish pound wet, high 80s hp, torquey all arounder. It had a 12,000 mile valve check interval iirc. Newer models may have improved this. Cycle World had one for 10,000 miles and concluded it was another Range Rover Syndrome bike. Yes, there are folks that get true adv use out of huge bikes so in the relative sense this is easier to manage than one of those.

You mentioned FJ-09 but it's got 17s at both ends and not as much ground clearance. Otoh it's lighter. And, 100+ hp. IMO it's a sportbike with adv styling. I own one and dig it but don't think of it as any more off road capable than an FZ1.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
roundhouse

I rode a tiger 800 fro about 15 minutes, it was awesome. It did not feel fast but it pulled from idle pretty hard. It was at one of those dealer deals where we ride in a line and cannot pass the dealer guy in the lead so i could not spin it out. Made me want one as the suspension was so compliant and comfy. I have never ridden another adventure bike so i have no benchmark.

but it made me want one.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Jon, I rode one of the older model 800s (a 2014), it had great power everywhere. It doesn’t have the big end rush of the FZ1, but thanks to the flat torque curve on that triple it pulls down low.

I can definitely see the Range Rover syndrome, it has ALOT of gadgets. Some are unnecessary, but I like most of them. I’m kind of torn on models because triumph no longer makes the bike I’d want. They make the xrx low which has cast 19/17 wheels, and the xcx which has the spoked 21/17. The low model was great to sit on, it comes set at 30.7 inch seat height, and I had about as much foot down as I do on the fz. But the seat on the low can be lowers another 20mm, to get the seat height under 30 inches, I would probably be able to flat foot it then.

I’ve not been considering the fj09 though, everything I read says it is a 33 inch seat height, which is not feasible for me, and I’d hate to lower it and reduce it’s already lacking ground clearance. Spec sheets say the weight difference between the two is negligible. Dry weight is lighter on the Tiger.

The other contender for me was a wee strom, I haven’t been able to ride one of those yet, but specs show it as about the same seat height as the fj, and somehow the heaviest of the three with the smallest motor(imagine that). It's a very barebones machine, but it’s also significantly cheaper than the triumph. Given the choice of this or the f700gs, I’d go with the bmw.

But I’m liking the triumph the best, which is why I posted the thread, I love the gadgets, especially the new tft display as standard. Triumph is claiming low 50s mpg at 75mph with the new motor(believe that when I see it). If I somehow can’t special order a xcx low, looks like I’ll wind up with the xrx low and spend the savings on alt rider crash bars and luggage and racks. I might wind up doing that anyway.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
cuda2832

This looks like it would be a blast off road
https://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy...688617093.html
cuda2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2832 View Post
This looks like it would be a blast off road
https://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy...688617093.html
But I already off road my FZ1 on fire roads and light gravel. If I was gonna do that, Iíd just build something like the gsxr dirt bike thatís been popular on YouTube.

Was just looking for a nice equipped bike, with modern amenities thatís capable of light trail work without being too big of a burden. The new tiger seems to fit the bill the best.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Has anybody owned or rented one of these bikes? Looking to downsize the amount of bikes I have, and one of these looks like a good middle ground adventure dual sport. A good compromise between my FZ1 and my DR650, capable at both without leaving you lacking too much on or off road.

Understandably it won’t be as good as my DR off road, but will be more pleasant on the way to the trails. Because of the amount and technical difficulty of the trails here in N Ga, I’ll probably be going for the 800 model, over the 1200 explorer. Will be less of a handful in the woods, but I wish they offered the 800 with the shaft drive the 1200 has, and other goodies like keyless ignition.

Thanks to some changes at work, I’ll likely be looking at ‘17 and ‘18 models. But I require the lowered model of the 800.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b...ture/tiger-800

As long as I’m looking at new models of bikes, what others should I take a look at in the same category? Would prefer it to be under 1000cc and less than a 30 inch seat height. I’ve also sat on the bmw f700gs, and it was nice, but a tad high, with not as much gadgets as the triumph as standard. I’m not very interested in the fj09.
edit for link to demo:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1852255288225581/

There is a demo coming up on October 13, Ill try and shoot you the link. I only got a brief road ride on one, but thought it was pretty big. I picked the 1090 because it wasn't much more weight and seemed much more capable. Although it was more than I am capable of riding off-road, so I put the big ADV bike on the back burner for now. 790 will be out by next year. I think Spurgeon from Revzilla went from the T 800 to the KTM 1090 as well, so don't discount those either. Konflict suspension has a lowering setup to get the seat height down as well.

Triumph can pile on accessories for next to nothing when buying new so if you go that route, make sure you ask. Then ask nicely and finally if that doesn't work, ask more forcefully. You can get Arrow exhaust for free if you get the right guy. It should only cost you shop time if anything, as they are getting them for free.

As for the BMW's the 850 is the new model so expect discounts on the outgoing 800's. They can be purchased from the factory with the LC (low chassis) option that lowers the bike about 30mm and also comes with a low seat which brings it down another inch or so. They really do a good job with lowering the bikes. The 850 looks to be pretty good from the first looks. The BMW riding school isn't too far away from you either if you want to get comfortable on one, or REALLY try one out before purchasing. It'd be good training no matter which ADV bike you go for.

Last edited by Wonger; 09-17-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
ZX-Dominance

The 800 is indeed a great middle ground as you surmise. I like it better than the GS800 for sure.

The 1200 is a monster... IMO too much. I've only got 31" of inseam and the 800 is dandy. The 1200 is scary.
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * AK20s * Elka Elite* Yosh R77 * Flashed * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * PCV+Ign+Autotune * TechSpecs * Carbon all over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I seen the new 750/850 bmws, they look nice. But I’m not entirely convinced the 1090A isn’t too much bike for me, would have to ride one to be sure. That new 790A looks promising, but it looks to be just a big dirt bike. There’s already a couple of good deals on cycle trader for the ‘18 tiger 800s. Saw a loaded xca the other day with ~150 miles for 12.9k.

I was probably gonna wait until after the first of the year to buy, will be out of town for work a lot shortly. Hopefully by then the ‘19s will be out, and we’ll see some good deals on the ‘18s
Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
gotfz1

Quote:
Jon, I rode one of the older model 800s (a 2014), it had great power everywhere. It doesn’t have the big end rush of the FZ1, but thanks to the flat torque curve on that triple it pulls down low.

I can definitely see the Range Rover syndrome, it has ALOT of gadgets. Some are unnecessary, but I like most of them.
That was not a reference to gadgets but that most will never actually leave the pavement.

Quote:
I’ve not been considering the fj09 though, everything I read says it is a 33 inch seat height, which is not feasible for me, and I’d hate to lower it and reduce it’s already lacking ground clearance. Spec sheets say the weight difference between the two is negligible. Dry weight is lighter on the Tiger.
If it's really going off road, I wouldn't consider the FJ-09.

We must be using different spec sheets. Since Yamaha gives a wet weight on their FJ spec sheet and Triumph only publishes dry weights I used magazine reviews that put the difference at 50 lbs for 2017 models.

Quote:
The other contender for me was a wee strom, I haven’t been able to ride one of those yet, but specs show it as about the same seat height as the fj, and somehow the heaviest of the three with the smallest motor(imagine that). It's a very barebones machine, but it’s also significantly cheaper than the triumph. Given the choice of this or the f700gs, I’d go with the bmw.
Weestroms are great bikes and have the best range of all. I've rented one of those for a couple weeks as well, was either a '14 or '15. It definitely had the least exciting engine of the three.

Not sure what your requirements are for seat height. I have a slightly over 29" inseam. The Triumph was the least easiest to manage in the parking lot between it, FJ-09 and Weestrom but it wasn't the low model. The FJ has two seat positions, high and low, not sure if the others have any adjustability on newer models but didn't on the ones I rented.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I love my Street Triple, but I'll most likely never buy another non-Japanese bike again. If I lived on the east or west coast where parts/dealer support were better, I might reconsider. But being in the midwest, especially Missouri, it's a black hole when it come to all-things motorcycle. Here, it's "buy it/learn to fix it on the internet". For the ADV bike, I'd go Suzuki and be confident it'll start up and get you where you want to go, every time.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
That was not a reference to gadgets but that most will never actually leave the pavement.

If it's really going off road, I wouldn't consider the FJ-09.
100% agree, most are full-time pavement princesses. But Iíll take it down fire roads, moderate ohv trails, forest service trails, and such. But you donít need a big fancy off-road bike to ride off-road. I just like all the other goodies of the bike, and itíll be relatively confident off pavement.

Quote:
We must be using different spec sheets. Since Yamaha gives a wet weight on their FJ spec sheet and Triumph only publishes dry weights I used magazine reviews that put the difference at 50 lbs for 2017 models.
I looked up earlier, the 2017 tiger 800 is listed at 432lbs dry, and the 2018 is 452lbs. So says cycle gear, I find it hard to believe the new bike is 20lbs heavier.

Quote:
Weestroms are great bikes and have the best range of all. I've rented one of those for a couple weeks as well, was either a '14 or '15. It definitely had the least exciting engine of the three.

Not sure what your requirements are for seat height. I have a slightly over 29" inseam. The Triumph was the least easiest to manage in the parking lot between it, FJ-09 and Weestrom but it wasn't the low model. The FJ has two seat positions, high and low, not sure if the others have any adjustability on newer models but didn't on the ones I rented.
Iím about a 30.5Ē inseam, sounds like Iíll have to give the fj a test ride
Old 09-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I love my Street Triple, but I'll most likely never buy another non-Japanese bike again. If I lived on the east or west coast where parts/dealer support were better, I might reconsider. But being in the midwest, especially Missouri, it's a black hole when it come to all-things motorcycle. Here, it's "buy it/learn to fix it on the internet". For the ADV bike, I'd go Suzuki and be confident it'll start up and get you where you want to go, every time.
From what I understand, triumph has a giant parts warehouse here in Atlanta, which is also where their US corporate HQ is, it’s convenient for the British bigwigs to fly into Hartsfield-Jackson.

The fixing isn’t that big a deal for me, nor is timely part availability. I have a big toolbox filled with pretty much everything I need, and I don’t ride everyday, I drive a service van for work.

I love my DR, and will never get rid of it, but would like to find that bike that bridges the FZ1’s sportiness but yet still comfortable, and the DRs off-road prowess. Even after doing all the comfort mods, I find it hard to do more than 350 twisty miles, or 250 highway miles on the FZ before I’m about done.

I will probably keep the FZ for awhile along with whatever bike I end up with. And if I like the new bike enough to distance on, will likely end up getting rid of the FZ. I would rather someone enjoy it, than it sit in the garage unused.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
gotfz1

Quote:
I looked up earlier, the 2017 tiger 800 is listed at 432lbs dry, and the 2018 is 452lbs. So says cycle gear, I find it hard to believe the new bike is 20lbs heavier.
Triumph claims 452 dry. Cycle Gear is on crack with 432. And, that's dry, add 70ish pounds for ready to ride.

Yamaha only publishes a wet weight for the FJ-09, 465 for my Cali version. That's probably a little optimistic but yes, it feels 50 pounds lighter. Haven't actually weighed mine.

Quote:
Iím about a 30.5Ē inseam, sounds like Iíll have to give the fj a test ride
It's 33 and 33.9 for low and high respectively. If that's too tall it won't work for you. Flat footing is not something I ever get so my experience is probably not useful in that regard
Old 09-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
jared p
^ guy

friend of mine loved his until he was rear ended by a prius. i rode it a few times as well. it's pretty much a fantastic little bike. personally i'd go for the africa twin though
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared p View Post
friend of mine loved his until he was rear ended by a prius. i rode it a few times as well. it's pretty much a fantastic little bike. personally i'd go for the africa twin though
That's a good thought. 32ish seat height. Lots of reviews online comparing the Africa Twin to the Triumph and BMW 800s.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #17
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I looked into the Africa Twin, and couldn’t get over the barn door front end. Guess I’m not a fan of Dakar styling.

But if a loaded triumph 800 weighs 452dry, plus 5 gallons fuel at 6.3lbs apiece, and one gallon of oil at ~7.3 lbs, you get 490.8.

Yamaha lists the new tracer 900 at 474lbs. I’d call 16lbs negligible, especially considering a good pair of off road boots weighs the better part of 10lbs.

But what’s hard to ignore is the Africa Twin’s published weight of 540lbs wet. That is a tremendous gulf between the bikes. Especially when the price premium between the bikes isn’t that massive and Honda won’t even include braided lines as stock. The triumph does, I checked.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
gotfz1

Quote:
But if a loaded triumph 800 weighs 452dry, plus 5 gallons fuel at 6.3lbs apiece, and one gallon of oil at ~7.3 lbs, you get 490.8.
Manufacturer claimed dry weight excludes the battery and all fluids, not just gas and oil.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Manufacturer claimed dry weight excludes the battery and all fluids, not just gas and oil.
https://autos.maxabout.com/bikes/tri.../tiger-800-xcx

221kg = 487lbs

I was close.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
gotfz1

Quote:
at the various sources, not you.

That site also says "Dry Weight 196 kg" which would be 432 lbs.

But Triumph claims it's 20 lbs heavier, 452 here:

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b.../specification

I've ridden and put both on the centerstand. I'm going with the butt scale

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion