register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
okrider

Suzuki TU250X

So I've been thinking about getting a TU250X for about a month now as my daily commuter. With the move to the new house coming up, I'm going to be further away from work. Walking to work is going to be an hour and 20 mins instead of just 25 minutes.

I've been thinking I want a commuter that I won't care much about, will ride rain/shine but still looks somewhat retro. I could get an actual retro bike but with the motorcycle market in Atlanta, a newer TU will probably cost less, plus I'd rather get a simple fuel injected bike. My commute on a bike will be 3.5 miles, no interstate. Basically driving through downtown Atlanta

Plus side of a 250 is that my girlfriend will want to ride it as well. Her FZ6 is great on long trips but I think she'll enjoy the lighter bike around town. Also, my work doesn't require a parking permit ($$$) for small cc motorcycles so I think I can pull off riding in on a 250 and leaving it at the bicycle racks.

Please recommend similar bikes that you have experiences with. Thanks folks.

Last edited by okrider; 11-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Desmo
Mein Führer!

A 250 air cooled single?

I once commuted a few times on my XT350. It was terrifying on the freeway. Not sure what your commute is like though.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
reubswinks

If you didn't need to do highway speeds I would be looking at something like a tw200. Think those would be fun to commute on.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
fermic37

Beta 125rr-s

Next year they will be bringing the lc version with the super Moto wheels.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
okrider

Just to clarify, my commute will not involve any time on the interstate. Updated original post.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

What about a small enduro? WR250r? Something with a bit more versatility comes to mind. Then again, I'm always about buying something used that's already taken the depreciation hit.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
What about a small enduro? WR250r? Something with a bit more versatility comes to mind. Then again, I'm always about buying something used that's already taken the depreciation hit.
I've thought about it but a brand new TU250X will likely be cheaper than a used WR250. Those things must be made of diamonds. The main reason I don't want a dual sport/enduro etc. is because I want my girlfriend to want to ride this thing and she'll likely be more comfortable on a shorter motorcycle.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
NickBrewer

SR400
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th Anniversary
NickBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
okrider

I've been drooling over the SR400 for a bit. I will likely go check one out once I find one on craigslist and see if I like it. (pretty sure I will)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
grommet
kinetic mentality

You may want to consider a well seasoned Gen 1 FZ1.

You could get a sticker for the gas tank that says "Suzuki 250" in big white letters. The parking lot police won't know the difference.

edit: Naked, of course, for the retro look.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
2wheelmax

Kawi 300 or 500 Ninja would be my choice.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

I rode a TU250X for two days in the new rider course my friend and I took our wives to. It was perfect for what you're talking about. Just a basic little bike, easy to throw a leg over, comfortable riding position, and extremely low effort to handle. I liked the bike. It has a nice look and would be a perfect around town scooter.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmax View Post
Kawi 300 or 500 Ninja would be my choice.

So much more versatile.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Royal Enfield classic 500? Low seat, easy to maintain (you may be doing a bit of that though), ridiculously good mileage and for commuting it's ideal. Stick a sidecar on it and do the shopping run too.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’ll +1(2?) a Kawi 500. The Vulcan and the ninja share the same ex500 engine, I loved my Vulcan. For a 500 that bike hauled ass, plenty of power everywhere. Parts were cheap, and it was easy to work on.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #16
okrider

I've ridden the ninja 500 plenty of times. It's a nice bike, but too big for what I want. Kawi 300 is good but I'm never going to use it as a sports bike when I have the FZ1 so there's no point in buying one, I'd just feel bad.

I really don't want a gen1 as it's still a 1000cc that my girlfriend wouldn't want to ride around town, or at all. It's a 3.6 mile one way commute with 0 interstate. 1000cc would be overkill.

With a 250, I wouldn't mind teaching friends, having it as a buddy bike. Or using the gf's bike as a buddy bike and give her the 250 as she usually doesn't want to ride twisties anyways. Mostly just want a bike for her that I can take to work couple times a week
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #17
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Sounds like your decision is already made.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
arkie6

I would think something like a slightly used Suzuki Burgman 400 would be more useful for your intended purpose - more storage, more power, wind protection (which you will likely appreciate in the coming months), seating for 2, fuel injected, etc. And it would likely cost less than a new TU250.

Here is an example of a nearly new (assuming the ad is correct with 190 miles) 2014 model near you:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...400-5004908868

Another option:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ABS-5004788278
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
1000cc would be overkill.
You say that like it's . . .

I know. I was just being silly. Lots of fun options in the sub-400cc market.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #20
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
I would think something like a slightly used Suzuki Burgman 400 would be more useful for your intended purpose - more storage, more power, wind protection (which you will likely appreciate in the coming months), seating for 2, fuel injected, etc. And it would likely cost less than a new TU250.

Here is an example of a nearly new (assuming the ad is correct with 190 miles) 2014 model near you:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...400-5004908868

Another option:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ABS-5004788278
A Bergman was my next thought after an Enduro
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion