register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 03-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #41
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
On a side note, after April 1 2018, Avon will stop providing mileage warranties on their tyres, it's been replaced by a road hazard warranty that lasts for the first 1mm of wear or 1 year, which ever comes first.
That's some funny chit right there!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #42
norbert4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Engelwood Fla. My brother lives there. What do you ride? He's got an XR650 I gave him over last Thanksgiving.
Sorry for late reply. 2001 Yamaha FZ1
norbert4b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #43
thejaredhuang

Just an update, got the Avon Storm 3D XM for the rear in the stock size. Will report back every couple thousand miles.
thejaredhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #44
FJ Fun
Grouchy old squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Great article.

Everyone is ohhh and ahhhh ing over the PR5 but the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 was just released last year and Dunlop and testers have said their RS3 will last approx 20K/12K front/rear and not lose performance/profile as steeply when mileage goes up.

Gloryracing, did you mount up an RS3 (Someone on the forum did, I swear) ? What was your impression, ya tire shredder?

180 Michelin Pilot 5 is 195$ https://www.ridersdomain.com/motorcy...orcycle-tire-p
180 Dunlop Roadsmart 3 is 169$ https://www.ridersdomain.com/motorcy...orcycle-tire-p
180 Bridgestone T31 is 155$ https://www.ridersdomain.com/motorcy...orcycle-tire-p

Bet there isn't 25$ worth of extra mileage in the Pilot 5 honestly, but the Pilot 5 does have this cool feature I guess: "A USED 3k mi. Road 5 tire stopped on a water soaked road in the same place as a BRAND NEW Pilot Road 4 tire thanks to the revolutionary patented MICHELIN XST Evo water drop sipes, which grow wider mile after mile." The Pilot (Road's) main selling and marketing point since the PR3 is its wet weather performance and wet weather braking. That's all they tout now. And the OP says he doesn't care about wet weather capability.

Any reason more rain sipes (grooving) would cause less tire temps and less wear overall? (I would think not, I'm sure engineers did things with belts and layers and such to keep at optimal temp even with more grooves)

I have no cat in this fight, I just grab whatever deal I can find. Currently on my first ever Roadsmart 2 I picked up for 100$ new. No opinions yet
Jake,
I had to get a set of Roadsmart 3 tires mounted up during our recent FJ Central rally in Arkansas. I finished off a pair of Metzeler Roadtec01 tires sooner than I anticipated. One trip from Jasper, Ar to Push Mountain Road and back took a much greater toll than i expected. 😉 As much as I loved the performance of the Roadtec 01s, I could not fault the stickiness of the Dunlops at all. They do seem to have a slightly deeper tread pattern, so I'm hoping to get a little more life out of of them. I only had the rear end step out on me one time due to sand on the road, but nearly everyone else in the group had the same thing happen to them as well.

Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #45
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Great article.

Everyone is ohhh and ahhhh ing over the PR5 but the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 was just released last year and Dunlop and testers have said their RS3 will last approx 20K/12K front/rear and not lose performance/profile as steeply when mileage goes up.

They will get 12/20 IF:
1) you put them in the trunk of our leased Jettas for 2 years
2) 5 cross country trips in a UPS cargo plane counts
3) trailering to all your good roads and counting those miles

4000 on mine just looked, rear almost gone and front cupping badly. I also blame Jasper to Push Mountain and back. 16,125 and 74 too.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #46
glory racing

20k/12k... that's almost as funny as Avon's 1mm of wear or 1 year whichever comes first.

I would bet the farm that every attendee to this years AR spring ride scrubbed off at least 1mm the first day. Nope...the first morning!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #47
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
20k/12k... that's almost as funny as Avon's 1mm of wear or 1 year whichever comes first.

I would bet the farm that every attendee to this years AR spring ride scrubbed off at least 1mm the first day. Nope...the first morning!
That’s actually a fairly accurate fact, I scrubbed off 3.5mm in 3 days last week. Yeah... I actually measure that kind of crap, lol.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #48
Duken4evr
Map Maven

The motorcycle tires that get the longest life are these babies - Heidenau or Mitas ADV bike tires. Over 20K miles on them is pretty common. They wear like iron, and, apparently grip like iron in the wet and howl like a beagle in heat at highway speed. People love 'em though.

Not available in FZ1 sizes, however
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heidenau-k60-scout-motorcycle-tires.jpg (15.5 KB, 29 views)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #49
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
That’s actually a fairly accurate fact,
Well yeah...everything I state is fairly accurate.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #50
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Check out the Pirelli Angel GT
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering