register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
G_man

Must be getting old, thinking about a pontoon boat

Summer is here in AZ and that means Lake time while we love the jet skis we really miss taking the dog out to the lake as she loves the water.

So the solution would be a pontoon boat for the barbecue, shade, the whole nine yards.
Checked some of the new ones out at Bass Pro and holy moly Sticker Shock!

Might have to get used although buying used watercraft can be a sketchy situation.

Anyone have a pontoon boat?

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

My family had one for ten years or so. Rents and grandrents had adjoining lots at a lake about an hour from home. The g-rents had a ski boat so these complemented well... relax, drink, bbq on the pontoon, or take turns behind the ski boat and when you're done just xfer back to pontoon and repeat.

Despite many tries our family wasn't big enough to sink it by all running to one end -- we had heard it possible so of course had to try. Our lake had several spots where the highway crossed and there was reduced clearance going under the bridge so Dad would yell "Hit the deck!" and drop the collapsible sun shade that covered 50-60% of the deck. Of course at pontoon speed there was plenty of time to avoid spilling your beer
Old 06-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
bikeridermark

Geez, you must be getting old.

Just kidding! Looks like agood time!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Me and my buddies used to rent them, pontoon boats are awesome beasts of burden for bringing camping gear onto the lake. We had jet skis and a speed boat for water skiing. Good times!

I must be getting old too - got the two wheeled equivalent of a pontoon boat - a big fluffy ADV bike. The FZ1, which is worth pizza delivery tip money, remains in the stable. It is simply not worth selling at this point

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I've had them, and will be buying another in the next year or two after I finish the garage. Your shopping for them at the worst possible time, as supply and demand is working against you. Wait till January if you can. They are pretty bulletproof. I look for older boats with newer motors as the motor is the only thing that wears out besides seats
Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

My gf is debating on buying one. She lives on a lake and rarely rides her Yamaha Waverunner except when pulling me waterskiing.
It does get a lot of use during a party when people want to get pulled on the tube or skis.
She would however prefer a day out on the lake with several friends and/or family.

There are several on her lake with epic motors that will pull slalom skiers. But those motors are BIG bucks. But I tell her that's the way to go...
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
G_man

Thanks for the good info guys!

The best description I read on a Pontoon FB page and I thought was pretty funny the guy says "it's like I have my living room on the water!"

So I'm also thinking of still keeping one of the skis and it just makes more sense to keep the 3 seater as it has large storage capabilities and also rides two people much smoother.

I will probably sell Little Red on a double trailer.
951cc 2-Stroke Twin Cyl Bombardier Rotax engine on the Speedo I get 70 mile per hour she runs like a raped ape!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Me and my buddies used to rent them, pontoon boats are awesome beasts of burden for bringing camping gear onto the lake. We had jet skis and a speed boat for water skiing. Good times!

I must be getting old too - got the two wheeled equivalent of a pontoon boat - a big fluffy ADV bike. The FZ1, which is worth pizza delivery tip money, remains in the stable. It is simply not worth selling at this point
Nice score which ADV bike did you get?

Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

You really ought to pick up a Yamaha superjet stand up ski. They are amazingly fun, and a great workout. Here's an old video of me and a buddy riding
https://youtu.be/kfPlqokhz9s
Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
You really ought to pick up a Yamaha superjet stand up ski. They are amazingly fun, and a great workout. Here's an old video of me and a buddy riding
https://youtu.be/kfPlqokhz9s
But that goes against the TITLE of this thread....

I'll be 60 in a month and a Standup ski is the last thing on my mind at this stage in life.

After 50+ yrs of riding DirtBikes and Motocross, this body is in the "take it easy" mode hence the Pontoon Boat.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
2wheelmax

This is a great pontoon boat perfect for bass fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLSAMGBoat1.jpg (17.3 KB, 61 views)
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #12
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Summer is here in AZ and that means Lake time while we love the jet skis we really miss taking the dog out to the lake as she loves the water.
There is nothing wrong with a pontoon. It's always best if you have a buddy who has a ski boat and you have a pontoon (and/or friends with jet skis) then everyone go to the lake together.....best of both worlds sort of thing.

Great pics and beautiful Lab.

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmax View Post
This is a great pontoon boat perfect for bass fishing.
...........some fast bass round yer parts I reckon.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Nice score which ADV bike did you get?
Bought a nicely farkled one owner '14 Super Tenere with only 8K miles. I added the bags and Penske shock, it pretty much came with everything else. It is a Labrador retriever on wheels, and I love having cruise control on a motorcycle

Gonna use it for my "Mid Life Crisis Tour" with a bunch of CA based friends this summer. Heading up the coast to Canada!

I miss my water toys. Used to have a lot of fun out at Lake Mead in the 90s on the old 650 stand up jet skis. My buddy's dog liked it too. Still friends with that guy, we and some others are doing the ride this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S10.jpg (189.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Ken_Snickers.jpg (64.7 KB, 41 views)

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
G_man

[quote=thepopularjock;2758699]There is nothing wrong with a pontoon. It's always best if you have a buddy who has a ski boat and you have a pontoon (and/or friends with jet skis) then everyone go to the lake together.....best of both worlds sort of thing.

Great pics and beautiful Lab.

Thanks, Bailey is actually a Weimaraner and American bulldog mix.
Crazy combo but we love her and she's a great dog.

A lot of people mistake her for a Labrador but if you look closely her hair is short like a Weimaraner.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Bought a nicely farkled one owner '14 Super Tenere with only 8K miles. I added the bags and Penske shock, it pretty much came with everything else. It is a Labrador retriever on wheels, and I love having cruise control on a motorcycle

Gonna use it for my "Mid Life Crisis Tour" with a bunch of CA based friends this summer. Heading up the coast to Canada!

I miss my water toys. Used to have a lot of fun out at Lake Mead in the 90s on the old 650 stand up jet skis. My buddy's dog liked it too. Still friends with that guy, we and some others are doing the ride this summer.
Nice score Duke those are great bikes they had one at the dealership with some low miles I was tempted but damn I already have too many toys as it is and it's hard to keep them all going without going broke....

I need to win the freaking Lotto!

By the way the lab on the jet ski picture is awesome.
I bet he could never jetski alone without her ever again haha

Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
WDD

Get a large pontoon boat and tow the jet skis. Jump on a jet ski to run around, and then come back to the mother ship when done.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Get a large pontoon boat and tow the jet skis. Jump on a jet ski to run around, and then come back to the mother ship when done.
That would be nice but my side yard and RV gate have limited space so large pontoon boat is out of the question as I also have to keep my converted Jet Ski trailer for hauling motorcycles.

And to bring a jet ski out would require another vehicle Towing that jet ski but that's not out of the question as I do plan on keeping one of them.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
By the way the lab on the jet ski picture is awesome. I bet he could never jetski alone without her ever again haha
That dog had an awesome life. My buddy still has his old Moto Guzzi with sidecar, the dog would ride in the sidecar with aviator goggles on. Was hanging out in Seal Beach CA on Main St., the dog was lounging in the sidecar, my buddy was inside a restaurant getting a quick breakfast, I had already eaten, so I was sitting outside on a bench. A girl happened by, saw the dog hanging out and asked if it was mine. I told her it was my buddy's and that we were going for a ride. She looked at the cool Guzzi and the dog, and said sadly "that dog has a better life than I do". True enough, that dog had an awesome life.

His owner was a contractor, took the dog everywhere. One time the general contractor project manager complained to my friend about his dog on the job site, so the next day he showed up without the dog. The customer, a wealthy lady in a fancy part of Los Angeles, pitched a fit, asking "where is the dog?" Back on the job he was after that

So many good stories - that dog was a part of our crew. That dog did it all - drank beer and ate burritos (not a great idea when it comes time to pick up the poop) and, unfixed beast that he was, once boffed a prized standard show poodle. Oh man, the woman who owned the poodle was pissed. It is pretty impossible to separate dogs once they hook up. My friend was pretty inconsolable when that dog passed.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
2wheelmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
...........some fast bass round yer parts I reckon.
Yeah, when you hook into a largemouth you take it up to 90 knots and makes the bass much easier to reel in after they tire out.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion