register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #221
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
They were not leaking, but starting to fade in color. And we can't have that, now can we Pat! lol!
Neither in our bikes nor in ourselves.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #222
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
Neither in our bikes nor in ourselves.

Pat
Or our Corvette's or Porsche's, for that matter!

As for fading, i personally started about twenty years ago, and the future ain't going to get any better, either! lol!

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #223
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
Here is the first pass on cleaning the head post disassembly.

Hey Ron:

What are you using, to clean up the combustion chambers? Been so long, i can't really remember what i used, to do what you are doing. I think i used a brass rotary brush, in a low speed drill motor. Some of that carbon in those chambers, can be a bear to clean up, if once again, i remember correctly.

Anyway, you will get it. Looks like you know what you are doing, thats for sure.

Dean
Old 12-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #224
rdcusmc

Last post of the day: Boots have been ported. No picture to post BUT it's done.

Dean,
I'm using a rotary brush as you've described. For heavier spots, I've used a sharp implement to gently chip that off and then finish up with the brush. I'm going to smooth the exhaust ports a bit tomorrow and deflash the intakes. I'll do the final clean of the cylinder dome at that point If I can get my wife out of the house for a couple hours to finish her Christmas shopping, I'll slap the head in the dishwasher for final clean before moving onto the valves. If not, I'll finish it aided by a little diesel to complete the job.

Ron

Edit: Gotta slow my roll. Just realized my lapping compound isn't here yet so until the valves are lapped, no final rinse in the washer.

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #225
rdcusmc

Back at it this morning. Cleaned all the valves, polished the exhaust valves. Smoothed out the exhaust ports, minor work in the intakes. Prepping to lap the valves this afternoon and apply a little emory cloth to the valve buckets. I've also checked the spring heights for both sides and don't have to make any adjustments there.

FWIW, I've been conservative working the ports. I'm certain Raven or Ivan would improve on what I've done(probably by a lot) HOWEVER I don't think I've done any harm and it should help a little bit.

I'd like to get the valves back in the head by the end of the day. Would be nice to get that far and maybe check the valve clearances so I can see where I am for valve shims.

Pic shows head about ¾ finished on cleanup.

MTF
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5631.jpg (128.0 KB, 100 views)

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
Old 12-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #226
longeze

Without getting "too far" off the mods topic, I thought I'd share a few misc. thoughts:

Scotchbrite also works pretty well for cleanup and is kind to the aluminum. You can buy pads that chuck in a drill or dremel if you prefer. No stray wires coming out of a brush to worry about ;).

Those are some great pix - clean and organized disassembly - nice! Thanks for posting those-as I probably should have done were I not so lazy. For anyone who hasn't cracked an engine open, that's how you do it. Parts mate with each other as they wear. Putting everything back where it came from is usually best practice. This is true even if you intend to replace parts with new. Clean up all the old pieces anyway. It's not that much more effort and it gives you the only opportunity you'll have to look for unusual wear associated with those parts, that might point you to other problems yet to come.

The magnifying glass is your friend! At LEAST give all the rubbing/bearing surfaces a quick 1ce over. You never know when you'll spot an unusual wear pattern, a burr or a stress crack in the making that might warrant further investigation. You're there right? The part is in your hand, how long will it actually take? Before you say "Thx Capt. Obvious", some people(and you know who you are) only sort the "important bits" - valves, pistons, rods & bearings. Everything else gets tossed in a bucket or strainer to be washed. I cringe when I see it. Okay.. I'm over it.

Just one more thing inspector.. I thought it curious that the parts in the pix appear ordered and labeled with #4 cylinder on the left. If that's a function of camera optics, then I must be having another senior moment.. send help.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #227
rdcusmc

No senior moment but rather momentary lack of reason from me. I got the numbering backwards BUT I'm aware of it and won't get the parts installed in the wrong place on reassembly.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #228
longeze

Quote:
.. Prepping to ..apply a little emory cloth to the valve buckets...
Don't do it. The buckets are thin chrome plated, they don't need emory. Check them to see if they're out of round though and ensure they have a good free sliding fit in their bores without being loose(doubtful). Also, if you're not already aware of it, the "right way" to set the valve clearance is with a girdle or with the head torqued to the engine.. just say'n.

I hope you'll post close up pix of your port work. FWIW, if I had a do-over, I think I would've spent the money and time to find someone to do a nice 5 angle valve job. I probably left as much on the table by not following through on that as I might have gained from the port work I did..
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #229
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
Don't do it. The buckets are thin chrome plated, they don't need emory. Check them to see if they're out of round though and ensure they have a good free sliding fit in their bores without being loose(doubtful). Also, if you're not already aware of it, the "right way" to set the valve clearance is with a girdle or with the head torqued to the engine.. just say'n.

I hope you'll post close up pix of your port work. FWIW, if I had a do-over, I think I would've spent the money and time to find someone to do a nice 5 angle valve job. I probably left as much on the table by not following through on that as I might have gained from the port work I did..
Thanks for the advice - understood. Same for valve clearance. I'll reconsider the angle job - not sure I'll go there - thinking...

Old 12-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #230
rdcusmc

Normally I'm in for a penny in for a pound. I think I'm gonna pass on the angle job. I've lapped the valves and they look pretty good. Do one final pass on port cleaning/smoothing and call it good. Hectic work week coming up and I'm anxious to get the valves back in today if I can.

Ron

Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #231
Dean Dinnetz

Looking good, Ron.

If i didn't notice, what is the mileage on this FZ1?

Boy, it should run even better than better, and pick up a few r.w.h.p. in the process.

Really enjoying the stages you are doing.

Continue to have fun.

Dean

P.S. I am soon to go to Pal Rich's garage today, and continue my advance on my new 2001 FZ1, from Pat.

Today fresh brake fluid front and back. As new, Dunlop front GP-A tire, and move the foot controls to match my 36" inseam. Speedo healer, and a bunch of other things, will be removed. Want the bike back to as close to stock as possible, for touring.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #232
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Looking good, Ron.

Boy, it should run even better than better, and pick up a few r.w.h.p. in the process.

Continue to have fun.

Dean

P.S. I am soon to go to Pal Rich's garage today, and continue my advance on my new 2001 FZ1, from Pat.

Today fresh brake fluid front and back. As new, Dunlop front GP-A tire, and move the foot controls to match my 36" inseam. Speedo healer, and a bunch of other things, will be removed. Want the bike back to as close to stock as possible, for touring.
Let me know how much it would cost to convince you to toss the speedohealer in the mail down south. I keep saying I'm going to hold off until I get the multigauge, but I don't ride enough to justify the cost of the multigauge.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #233
Dean Dinnetz

And i have a multi gauge on the bike, also! It is white faced. Going to install the white faced o.e.m. gas gauge, that Pat gave me, in a box of parts, in its place.

One step at a time. Probably remove the multi gauge, after the holidays. Will let you know, when i do.

Dean
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #234
rdcusmc

Quote:
Looking good, Ron.

Continue to have fun.

Dean

Dean/ALCON
I really appreciate the props. Thank you for the support.

Bike has 26k on the odometer. It was running great as it was so no compelling need to remove the head other than it could be done for cheap so here we are As you can imagine, I'm hoping to see some improvement for the effort. Fingers crossed I'm doing good work and it shows up on the dyno.

Ron

Old 12-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #235
rdcusmc

Quote:
And i have a multi gauge on the bike, also! It is white faced. Going to install the white faced o.e.m. gas gauge, that Pat gave me, in a box of parts, in its place.

One step at a time. Probably remove the multi gauge, after the holidays. Will let you know, when i do.

Dean

Dean,
Not sure your reason for thinking to remove the multi. I'd encourage you to use it for a while before removal. I love mine more than words can express. I find it particularly helpful to have electrical output along with engine temp always in sight. Gear indicator too. Also, I added the GPS chip to mine along with a momentary switch and use it for direction. I find it useful also to display the information in different formats depending on conditions - helpful.

Ron

Old 12-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #236
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Probably remove the multi gauge, after the holidays. Will let you know, when i do.
Note that the gauges' circuit board was modified including scratching out of existing signal pathways which may render the instruments or parts of them inoperative upon removal of the multi-gauge without also restoring the circuit board to its original condition. Perhaps someone who has knowledge of the electronics can confirm what the effects of such an operation would be.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #237
rdcusmc

DUMB ASS AWARD

Well, it was too good to last. Got the blessed valves back in, look over and I've forgotten the blessed lower spring washer seats. SOOO, the intakes come back out another day so I can install these washers. AHEM...

Not sure how much progress I'll make during the week. If I'm able to get anything significant done, I'll make sure and post it.

Ron

Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #238
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
Note that the gauges' circuit board was modified including scratching out of existing signal pathways which may render the instruments or parts of them inoperative upon removal of the multi-gauge without also restoring the circuit board to its original condition. Perhaps someone who has knowledge of the electronics can confirm what the effects of such an operation would be.

Pat

Hey Pat, et all:

Rich and i removed the "Speedo Healer" this afternoon. That was easy, and we just plugged back in the correct white connector to white connector.

I think i might just leave the multi gauge, where it is, for the time being. Especially since it is made to work, in the gauge cluster.

The fellow that is helping me, is a retired engineer from "Plantronics" here in Santa Cruz, and did all of his forty years, working on electrical/electronic problems. Good chance he could figure out, "Who is on first" on that gauge cluster. Will mention the above to him tomorrow, when i pick up the bike, from his garage/bike shop.

All brake fluids changed/bled, and new front tire today.

Dean
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #239
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Well, it was too good to last. Got the blessed valves back in, look over and I've forgotten the blessed lower spring washer seats. SOOO, the intakes come back out another day so I can install these washers. AHEM...

Not sure how much progress I'll make during the week. If I'm able to get anything significant done, I'll make sure and post it.

Ron

Hey Ron:

Yes, i know the feeling. Rich and i put back the carb bank and did not notice, a rubber vent hose that we forgot to install, under said carb bank. Sooo, pull back the air box, remove the carb bank, then install the hose we forgot, then install the carb bank/air box, and the rest of the things that have to be done. Last time i pulled a carb bank off, was my 2002 FZ1, about seven/eight years ago. So, we just went too fast, and forgot that vent hose. If i ever have to pull those carbs again, i bet i could do it in under twenty minutes, this time! lol!

Dean
Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #240
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Hey Pat, et all:

Rich and i removed the "Speedo Healer" this afternoon. That was easy, and we just plugged back in the correct white connector to white connector.

Dean
So, DIBS if it goes up for sale... I miss having a remotely accurate speedo >.< When I think I'm doing 90mph on the freeway, and everyone is passing me, I'm quite conflicted!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance