register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #241
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
So, DIBS if it goes up for sale... I miss having a remotely accurate speedo >.< When I think I'm doing 90mph on the freeway, and everyone is passing me, I'm quite conflicted!
Ironically, I was doing 90 most of the way when I delivered it to you and people were blowing by me from Phoenix to LA! I was totally like

What gearing is it? I thought it was stock.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #242
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
So, DIBS if it goes up for sale... I miss having a remotely accurate speedo >.< When I think I'm doing 90mph on the freeway, and everyone is passing me, I'm quite conflicted!
I will give you first dibs on it, now.

P.m. just sent to you.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #243
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
Well, it was too good to last. Got the blessed valves back in, look over and I've forgotten the blessed lower spring washer seats. SOOO, the intakes come back out another day so I can install these washers. AHEM...

Not sure how much progress I'll make during the week. If I'm able to get anything significant done, I'll make sure and post it.

Ron
OK, I'm back in the saddle today with a short update.

I was not happy with the way things looked previously so I backed up and essentially started over on the head. I disassembled and did a little more work smoothing things out. I also doubled down on parts cleaning which I am happy I did. I have the head back together now - nothing more I can do with it until I mate it with the block. Sooo, next steps (probably tomorrow) is to clean the block mating surfaces and the pistons then put the new head gasket on and torque it to spec. That will set me up for checking/optimizing valve clearances.

Hope everyone is settling in for a nice holiday. I'll post more as I have it.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #244
rdcusmc

Piston

#4 piston cleaning up nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5648.jpg (104.8 KB, 125 views)

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #245
rdcusmc

Last update of the day. Made it further than I was expecting. Got the pistons cleaned up along with the mating surfaces. Started the re-install of the head. Put the new Cometic thin gasket in place and then eased the head back on the engine. Gave it a gentle snug and am leaving it for the night. I'm thinking I want to be fresh in the morning to give everything one last once over before I torque the head in place.

Plan for tomorrow:
-Final checks and then secure the head
-Clean and reconnect the exhaust tubes
-Install water jacket o-rings and pipes
-Lube and install the cams
-Check and record valve clearances. Calculate shim sizes to set clearance at .005-.006 per Ivan. Shuffle shims as necessary and prep list for needed sizes.

I ordered the MB kit from Ivan based on his recommendation given the engine alterations I'm doing. Since there is a good chance I'll be short a few shims which will prevent finishing the valves tomorrow, I'll open up my carbs and install the new 127.5 jets, double check needles, floats, etc... I also need to do the airbox mod. Might turn two on that tomorrow as well. I decided on a BMC filter and ordered it last week but it hasn't arrived.

One more note on dialing in the cams. I took my 4 degree advancer off prior to disassembly and reinstalled the factory piece. I'm planning to dial in the cams with the stock unit and will switch back when everything else is done if it makes sense too. I'll have to read over my notes again to decide if the advancer is worthwhile given my changes.

MTF

Ron

Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #246
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Ron, thanks for the detailed writeups as you go. Excellent reading. Any reason you didn't spring for pods on the intake side?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #247
rdcusmc

John
Thanks for the props. I’m just happy to make good progress today. As for the pods I haven’t considered it in light of everything else but maybe I should. I’ve read the pod set up is much noisier than the modified box which is a small concern but not a deal breaker. I guess I haven’t considered it because Ivan said it doesn’t make any difference in engine performance. That’s what I understood anyway

Ron

Old 12-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #248
rdcusmc

Back at it this morning. Feeling a little draggy and wanting to avoid oily work for a bit, I cleaned up my workspace (big deal for me - I don't like working in clutter or filth if I can help it - I like these jobs more clean than not) and decided to work on Ivan's air box mod. Here is a pic nearly complete. Just a little more sanding/fine work to clean up.

MTF

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5650.jpg (118.7 KB, 116 views)

Old 12-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #249
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
Last update of the day. Made it further than I was expecting. Got the pistons cleaned up along with the mating surfaces. Started the re-install of the head. Put the new Cometic thin gasket in place and then eased the head back on the engine. Gave it a gentle snug and am leaving it for the night. I'm thinking I want to be fresh in the morning to give everything one last once over before I torque the head in place.

Plan for tomorrow:
-Final checks and then secure the head
-Clean and reconnect the exhaust tubes
-Install water jacket o-rings and pipes
-Lube and install the cams
-Check and record valve clearances. Calculate shim sizes to set clearance at .005-.006 per Ivan. Shuffle shims as necessary and prep list for needed sizes.

I ordered the MB kit from Ivan based on his recommendation given the engine alterations I'm doing. Since there is a good chance I'll be short a few shims which will prevent finishing the valves tomorrow, I'll open up my carbs and install the new 127.5 jets, double check needles, floats, etc... I also need to do the airbox mod. Might turn two on that tomorrow as well. I decided on a BMC filter and ordered it last week but it hasn't arrived.

One more note on dialing in the cams. I took my 4 degree advancer off prior to disassembly and reinstalled the factory piece. I'm planning to dial in the cams with the stock unit and will switch back when everything else is done if it makes sense too. I'll have to read over my notes again to decide if the advancer is worthwhile given my changes.

MTF

Ron

Hey Ron:

And if you want to sell the 4 degree advancer, please let me know.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #250
Ivan
Performance Master

Don't forget to redo the TPS adjustment again when you're finished.

And scoop the sides out a little bit more on the filter cover.

Merry Christmas to everyone,

Ivan
Old 12-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #251
rdcusmc

Dean,
I'll be happy to give you first dibs on the advancer if I sell it.

Ivan,
Thanks for the reminder on the TPS and for looking at the filter cover - will do on extra scoop.

UPDATE:
Today was a lite day. I finished the filter mod, got the head torqued in and have the cams loosely installed. I'll finish the cam install tomorrow. If it is a particularly slow day here with no other commitments, I'll have the valve clearances checked and recorded. Also get the exhaust bolted back up and call that good.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday to all!

Best,
Ron

Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #252
rdcusmc

Small progress so far today. Finished Ivan's air box mod, clean up/degrease front of engine/pipes, etc... Included picture is cleanup in progress (I have to take pictures as I think of it or get breaks. Not always the finished product picture...). Exhaust has been reattached. Gonna change gears I think and deal with the carb setup the remainder of the day, possibly get the carbs back on the bike. I'll probably look at the seal behind the shifter after that to make sure that is good since so many others have had issues with it. Will cleanup around the front sprocket while I'm there and check for lube opportunities on the shift mechanism. Also relube the throttle cables prior to carb install.

Getting through this list will complete just about everything except the valve clearance and dialing in the cams.

Progress continues!

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5651.jpg (110.0 KB, 121 views)

Old 12-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #253
rdcusmc

Well, I changed my mind again. Got inspired for some reason and I have the cams back in.

-First pic shows timing mark and rod arm TDC
-Second shows both cams
-Third is punch mark alignment for exhaust cam
-Fourth is punch mark alignment for intake cam
-Fifth is view from clutch side showing lobes opposed

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5659.jpg (39.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5660.jpg (36.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5662.jpg (35.5 KB, 120 views)

Old 12-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #254
rdcusmc

Pics 4 and 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5663.jpg (33.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5664.jpg (65.5 KB, 120 views)

Old 12-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #255
rdcusmc

SANITY CHECK

Let's put this in the "measure twice, cut once" sanity check plane. Including another pic of the exhaust cam punch mark alignment. In the previous pic of the intake cam, it is spot on. Exhaust is just short but appears less than a tooth out to my eye. What sayeth the board? Adjust this for accuracy now or go ahead and rotate the engine a few times and see how the marks line up, then go ahead and check valve clearances?

I know the cams are certain to come out again and I've yet to install the adjustable cam sprockets. I was planning to install them after I got the clearances measured and adjusted. Might reconsider that now to make this step easier.

Anyway, welcome comments from this eagle-eyed group as I ease my way through this reassembly.

Merry Christmas,
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5665.jpg (64.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by rdcusmc; 12-25-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #256
Quisp

Is the cam chain tensioner installed ? That might bring it inline .
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #257
rdcusmc

Yes it is.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #258
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Do you have a degree wheel you can throw on to measure how far out it is? Just for shits and giggles that is. Looks maybe 5-7 degrees.

If it’s less than a tooth out on a brand new chain, I wouldn’t worry about it. Should be fine. But if you have adjustable gears already, I’d go ahead and throw them on and dial your final lash in with everything installed ready to go.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #259
boyitgobob

It’s probably just camera angle and reflection, but is that intake cam really spot on? This is the kind of stuff that I always end up checking 3 times till I convince myself it’s okay. Thanks for posting all this, it’s always fun to see the inside of an engine.
Merry Christmas,
Bob
boyitgobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #260
isleoman

Wow, you've really moved out on competing these mods. Kudos

The one question I have is will the new carb mods make it difficult to know what benefit the other work to the valves / head has?
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance