click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #101
Quisp
Orlando , FL

I use an exacto knife . You don't want globs of silicone circulating around , I use light coat of Hylomar and chapstick on the opposite side . That way you have good chance of re using gasket .
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #102
RIDER1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1 Matt View Post
Ok, The whole gallery of photos I took is here -
https://motorcyclematt.smugmug.com/M...t-replacement/
Thanks for the pics! that helps, this will be a good winter project along with EXUP maintenance
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #103
Gloveberg

Add me to the list as well...

'04 Skunk with 35K miles. Same symptoms and failure at the same location. A huge THANK YOU to this forum!!!!!
Gloveberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #104
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

It's crazy how easy of a fix it is, right? This forum rocks
Old 01-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #105
RIDER1

no leak but I figured I would do this in the winter so no issues during riding season. the gasket material is metallic, better than the original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gasket.jpg (72.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #106
rdcusmc

Just did this myself. Good on you for getting ahead of it.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 AM   #107
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER1 View Post
no leak but I figured I would do this in the winter so no issues during riding season. the gasket material is metallic, better than the original
I can't see the locking washer on the front sprocket, did you forget it?
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #108
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

My son's 03 with 50,000+ miles on it, just started leaking here. I pointed him to this thread and all good now!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #109
RIDER1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
I can't see the locking washer on the front sprocket, did you forget it?
it is there, you can just see the tab bent down at the top
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #110
harun
DUKE

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Fizzy View Post
Today I noticed an odor while riding my 2001 FZ1 and thought it was the car in front of me. Only problem was that the car turned off but the odor stayed - uh-oh!

When I parked I noticed some drips from the #2 & #3 exhaust pipes, right below the oil filter. I took off my chin cowling to investigate, thinking it was around the oil filter or oil cooler area. As I traced the leak back, however, I found it coming from behind the drive sprocket cover - Double rut-roh!!

A couple days ago I switched to using only WD-40 on my chain instead of chain lube. (5 members CAN"T be wrong, right?!) I was SURE the WD-40 had totally chewed out my drive sprocket seal. OK, seriously, I thought thought my seal was bad anyway. When I took the sprocket cover off and checked, the drive shaft was completely dry - whew! The oil was coming from above the shaft.

It was coming from the bottom of the shift shaft cover, not the shaft itself. The oil would then run down onto the EXUP, and run down the exhaust until it wound up dripping off the exhaust under the oill filter!

I took off the cover, which is easy. When I looked at the gasket, I could see where Yamaha had not seated the gasket right when they put it together! If you look at the picture below you will see how the gasket is pushed in at the bottom right corner, instead of following the cover. I know I did not bump it taking it off because when I tried to push it back in line it would spring back to the way it was - it was hardened in that position. It apparently overlapped just enough to keep the oil from leaking out for almost 47,000 miles!

I obviously did not have a new gasket on hand, so I scraped the contact surfaces good and then wiped them with brake/parts cleaner and put some high temp RTV silicone on each piece with my finger. Bolted them up and I think I'm good to go. I took a short spin (just from under the shade tree I was working under back to the garage) and don't see any leaks. Next time I order any parts though, I will order a gasket just in case.

Craig
Hi,

I just faced the same problem today.But I can not scrape the old gasket.It looks sooo hard.Tryed to scarpe with Chain Cleaner but did not work.What is ur suggestion.Does brake cleaner really works.Did u sprayed it directly there or wiped with a rug.
thx.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #111
harun
DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1 Matt View Post
Ok, The whole gallery of photos I took is here -
https://motorcyclematt.smugmug.com/M...t-replacement/

I took the cover off fairly easy the first time I tried. I had to put it back on one night because it was getting late. The 2nd time I took the cover off I pulled the whole 'shifter dowel' as I'd call it out at the same time.

That was a pain to get back on, but seems required to remove, since it allows easier access to the remaining gasket material on the motor side.

When I pulled the cover off you can see how bad the gasket looked.

By far the stupidest and most time consuming part of this job is doing your best to remove the old gasket material that is stuck on the cover side AND the motor side. I used this to help with removal:

I also used 2 plastic scrapers to aid in gasket removal. I read that using something like a metal razor blade or knife or screw driver would we bad as it would gouge the aluminum cover and motor. Still though, I used a knife in certain places because the gasket was so baked on and the chemicals didn't help break it down enough for removal.

You'll notice I didn't include any installation photos. My frustration level was high at that point I guess. Putting the 'shifter dowel' back into place was a pain. Getting the little spring in the photo below, dangling from the dowel, hooked on to the tab on the motor side was a bit of a puzzle for me.

Eventually I figured it out though. Half of the spring was actually painted pink. I didn't recall what was what during removal, but my logical reasoning tells me that the pink painted side of the spring should be facing out during installation, where you can see it with your eyes. If you're not supposed to see the paint, what's the point of painting it in the first place?! I took it as a sign from 2004 Japan and installed painted side out.

Also during installation, instead of installing the gasket dry, I did put a small bead of red RTV silicone on the gasket and smoothed it out by hand. Both sides. I figure if I did gouge something it would fill in the gaps.

I'm probably wrong doing that. I know some people just pulled old gasket and replaced with RTV silicone and no paper gasket. And I thought the point of the purchased gasket was make a strong seal by itself, but I did both anyway.

3 days so far. No leak.

Good luck everyone. If I can do it so can you! I get frustrated with this stuff easily.

-Matt
GREAT POST. THX.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #112
harun
DUKE

Question Gasket

Oh this shit Gasket sticked so hard.Since yesterday I tryed all liquid or solvent to clean it but did not work.I put some gas on it and wait overnight to be easy.I do not know how is the best and easy way to clean it.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #113
rdcusmc

Sometimes it is just best to use a blade, preferably a razor blade. Be careful with the aluminum case. Sometimes the gaskets actually will chip off better in larger pieces this way.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #114
harun
DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
Sometimes it is just best to use a blade, preferably a razor blade. Be careful with the aluminum case. Sometimes the gaskets actually will chip off better in larger pieces this way.

Best,
Ron
YES ı TRYED AND DİD ONLY WİTH RAZOR BLADE BUT SOME SCRATCH
TEHN I USED LITTLE SAND PAPER.GOOD TO GO.WAITING FOR GASKET FROM EBAY.
THX
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #115
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
YES ı TRYED AND DİD ONLY WİTH RAZOR BLADE BUT SOME SCRATCH
TEHN I USED LITTLE SAND PAPER.GOOD TO GO.WAITING FOR GASKET FROM EBAY.
THX
Just some info for next time, use a scotchbrite pad. Most parts stores sell individual red and green 6x9 sheets for a dollar or two. Red is coarse, green is fine.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #116
harun
DUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Just some info for next time, use a scotchbrite pad. Most parts stores sell individual red and green 6x9 sheets for a dollar or two. Red is coarse, green is fine.
Thx MichealFZ1.It was quiet difficult but I did it.
Now waiting for the gasket.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #117
aclaytonb

+1 on the issue. 2003 w/26k mikes. Took about and hour and a razorblade.
aclaytonb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues