click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Yoga 910 vs Surgace Pro 4

Anyone have either?

I spent about an hour playing with a surface and a yoga early this year at the Microsoft store. At the time I was leaning towards the yoga but in the end decided to hold off entirely.

Started thinking about the surface again recently and then noticed that the yoga had been updated. Specifications for the yoga versus the price seems to give the edge to the yoga. Excellent keyboard, touchscreen, foldable. Not as light as The surface, but still only 3 pounds. Reviews indicate eight hours of battery life. Seemingly better than the surface. Far more than enough for me.

Thoghts?

Oh and the pen for the surface. I keep trying to think what I would use it for. And can't come up with anything. Not at home or work.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

I have the Surface Pro 4...no complaints except that same apps scale really poorly on it. An example was Phototshop...when I would load it, the menus, toolbars, etc were tiny. I could barely read them. I ended up doing some registry tweak to "fix" it but there are other apps that do the same thing. The Yoga may have the same "issue".

Like you, I didn't really NEED it (have a MBP, iPad Pro, Desktop PC). I recently replaced the CDI in my XRL which is programmable and the software only runs on a PC. I had to haul an older HTPC and monitor to the garage to program it. That's when I decided I had a use for it

What it's not good for: Sitting on the couch, using it as a PC (with keyboard). The kickstand type design doesn't work well on your lap. At that point it makes more sense to use it as a tablet but only if you aren't going to be typing a bunch.

The stylus is nice and works really well but only attaches to the side via magnets which can make it easily lost so be aware of that. You can write with it in lieu of the KB and if you are artistic at all, it's fun to use it to make art. The stylus is nice for photo editing to do touch-ups, etc. I used to use a Wacom stylus pad but now I don't really need it though I don't do a lot of that type of photo editing anymore. The stylus is also nice to use when using it as a tablet rather than your finger since it's more precise.

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Desmo
Hello ladies...

I can't draw for shit, I hate handwriting, and I'm sure I would lose that pen in an hour.

I would likely bring it to work for meeting. Note taking etc. and at home for the easy chair and surfing. I don't much use the iPad mini anymore.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

I have a Yoga. Not sure of the exact model. It's a couple years old. I love the compact size and weight. Probably my favorite laptop I've owned.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater

Last edited by t84a; 11-20-2016 at 02:24 PM.
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Great to hear. Think I'll head over and check them out again.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

I bought mine because I traveled a lot. It's been a solud machine. I'd buy another one in a second.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #7
_Will_

Bought a SP4 for grad school and really like it. I like the stylus for writing down notes in OneNote but it's also very good at marking up PDF files. My wife liked mine so much she got the surface book which she loves as well. We have a full sized laptop but last time we pulled it out it had been so long we had to try a few passwords to get it right. I prefer the SP4 over the surface book just because of how well it folds with the keyboard. I haven't played with a Yoga yet.
_Will_ is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry