register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #61
ZX-Dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
By the time I am reaching for the horn button, it is not to avoid the accident, it is to punish the bastard who endangered my life. Would love to have a horn that sounds like a freight train...
This is what I have (wooooomp wooooooomp), and for the most part, you are right. the SHAME is GREAT.

Tapping it to keep nosey cagers from pulling out in front of you works VERY well though
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * Yosh R77 * Flashed * PC * Ign mod * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * RT 1.0's * 08 R1 Shock + 600lb * TechSpecs * Carbon ll over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #62
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
This is what I have (wooooomp wooooooomp), and for the most part, you are right. the SHAME is GREAT.

Tapping it to keep nosey cagers from pulling out in front of you works VERY well though
so- to be more general- loud noise can be effective when out in heavy traffic?

whether that be a loud exhaust or a train horn.

train horn does sound cool though
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #63
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

My $0.02 - a loud exhaust is more likely to make you the target of some irritated redneck than make you more noticeable to distracted drivers.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #64
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd14771 View Post
yes,, it is a look at me move- because if somone is about to hit me by changing lanes, thats EXACTLY what i want them to do. thanks.

dont care if you view it as revenge or look at me- thats only your perception of the move. my motives are clear, dont hit me. should have looked before you moved.
You've just gone in a circle. You thanked me after I mentioned the time it takes for your revs to be identified. If someone's coming into your lane and you are going to take the time to chuck revs, wait for them to identify where you are... you've lost the time you could have used to save yourself.

Stop treating every disagreement as some sort of insult. In another thread you called everybody stupid, now they're trolls. Welcome to the Ignore List. Have a nice day.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #65
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

This is the first time I've ever heard the term "chuck revs".

That's all I got. Oh. Well I usually went with horn at the same time As taking evasive maneuvers.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #66
barryc

Go Cubs!!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #67
grommet
kinetic mentality

My SuperDuke has a very loud exhaust. Starting it inside a garage is painful. It serves no purpose whatever in alerting people ahead of me that I am approaching. It may have a small beneficial effect when I am next to a car, but I make it a practice to spend as little time as possible in anyone's blind spot, so the net effect is minimal.

I have used it to bark a couple of times, but that usually scares the driver as they look around wondering what it was.

When people try to race me up the 2-into-1 onramps, and lose, I suspect it only adds to their disdain of me and all other motorcyclists.

Video of the Remus can for reference as compared to stock (not my video):

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #68
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
You've just gone in a circle. You thanked me after I mentioned the time it takes for your revs to be identified. If someone's coming into your lane and you are going to take the time to chuck revs, wait for them to identify where you are... you've lost the time you could have used to save yourself.

Stop treating every disagreement as some sort of insult. In another thread you called everybody stupid, now they're trolls. Welcome to the Ignore List. Have a nice day.
your just one of the many people who would like to argue just to argue rather than play devils advocate and see it both ways.

how much extra time dose it to chuck some revs while i am already disengaging the clutch and grabbing front brakes to avoid the douchbag in front of me who doesn't deserve side mirrors?

it takes no extra time, since i know you would like to say otherwise.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #69
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post

That's all I got. Oh. Well I usually went with horn at the same time As taking evasive maneuvers.
pretty common term in the north east, as is having looud bikes. maybe its different in colder climates where bikes only come out for 4 months most of the time, but any advantage is an advantage in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #70
gotfz1

Quote:
your just one of the many people who would like to argue just to argue rather than play devils advocate and see it both ways.

how much extra time dose it to chuck some revs while i am already disengaging the clutch and grabbing front brakes to avoid the douchbag in front of me who doesn't deserve side mirrors?

You know that eh? Even tho you quoted

"and you are going to take the time to chuck revs, wait for them to identify where you are"
Old 05-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #71
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

JD is the real troll, acting like the good guy calling other people out for being trolls but arguing more than anyone. GotFZ1 you better respect him! He's a moderator in training hahahahahah

But what do I know, I'm the dumbass who hit an oil patch in freshly wet pavement. I can't be trusted. I'm a squid.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #72
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post

Yep. My only point of contention is that revving or noise will save your life. They might help and don't hurt but it's the evasive maneuvers (which for me often don't involve clutching in) that will save your life. Last time I checked the deaf could still get licenses in all states and the rest can run DVD players with the latest motogp race turned up to 11.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #73
theunderfighter

Quote:

So, it's the loud pipe that saved you, not the clutching in and pulling the brakes?? I get that the pipe doesn't hurt (though some people may argue it does), but I think the evasive maneuver you took with the clutch and brakes is what saved your ass, because they still don't know where the noise came from you made at the same time.
At this point we're mostly arguing semantics.... but if I had to choose between being silent and having evasive maneuvers, and being loud and a sitting duck hoping the noise works..... I'm gonna be the quiet one moving around.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #74
ZX-Dominance

I can blast 130dB horn while simultaneously engaging clutch, front brakes, downshifting, rev marching, and preparing to evade- all in about 1sec.

And my yosh sounds great and not too loud ��
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * Yosh R77 * Flashed * PC * Ign mod * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * RT 1.0's * 08 R1 Shock + 600lb * TechSpecs * Carbon ll over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #75
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Good god...

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #76
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
I can blast 130dB horn while simultaneously engaging clutch, front brakes, downshifting, rev marching, and preparing to evade- all in about 1sec.

And my yosh sounds great and not too loud ��
You forgot using the rear brake, the nasty look, raising eyebrows and yelling in the helmet! Anything you can do to be noticed is useful and I regularly practice all those simultaneously (I am good at multitasking)
Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #77
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

One day in the not too distant future, the whole exhaust topic will be a moot point. All hail electric torque!

I say we start a contest to see who can mod their bike to be as quiet as an electric.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #78
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Still working on a compact phase cannon that can vaporize metal. I will let you know when it is completed. ;)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #79
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
One day in the not too distant future, the whole exhaust topic will be a moot point. All hail electric torque!

I say we start a contest to see who can mod their bike to be as quiet as an electric.
Some high end BMWs already have a sound system that generates noise for the cabin passengers because the car is otherwise so quiet. I can see aftermarket systems to make your electric bike sound like a gas powered one in the not too distant future.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #80
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
Some high end BMWs already have a sound system that generates noise for the cabin passengers because the car is otherwise so quiet. I can see aftermarket systems to make your electric bike sound like a gas powered one in the not too distant future.
They need this for outside the cabin too -- for pedestrians. Loud pipes and vehicles save pedestrian lives!

One of the first GM EVs nearly took me out walking in a parking lot in the 90s. And, now it's happening again with all these new evs. Watching the documentary Who Killed the Electric Car? is completely different now

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion