read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 PM   #41
packnrat

i do not count the miles. but i do replace my lids every so many years. and not do to a fit issue. the quality buckets do not have such issues. but for me cheap does have a fit issue.
as for dot, that is the lowest level of any rating out there. i tend to go a bit higher for my protection.
if we were talking about a auto part. does "carb approved" somehow make that part better?
just because a unnamed bureaucrat says something is good. how does that make it a "better" item??

but when it comes down to it.
who is going to use a ill fitting helmet?

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #42
locomojo8504

I only buy cheap helmets. Full-face. $40-60 is my price range. They always fit nice to me. I can't even think of any of the brands. I've wore friends expensive helmets before. No real significant difference to me other than some wind noise maybe, but I wear tight fitting noise canceling headphones anyways, though I can still hear my engine faintly. And their shield seems to have a little more solid feel. But I can buy 8 helmets for that. Just get a new one every year, lol. The DOT rating on them is probably a joke though. You can simply buy the DOT stickers on ebay for a few bucks. So put them on anything you like. I had my wreck in a $40-ish dollar helmet. Slid down road couple hundred feet. It didn't fly off, just got some scratched on sides, windscreen stayed on best I remember, but it does have about a 2inch crack in the plastic and styrofoam perfectly center of the back. But I had no kind of head injury at all. So I was very satisfied with it. To each their own I guess. We all have different experiences with brands though. I just don't see a $400-600 helmet being some miraculous piece of engineering to make it cost 10x the cost of something else. And I avoid the SNELL rating as well. I read nothing good about it to be honest. Or only from people bragging their helmet has it. Many articles talk about SNELL helmets causing head injuries by having less of a "crush zone."

What's most important though is that you so DO wear a helmet. And a real helmet, not that little cereal bowl on top of your head so that you grind your face down the road if you wreck. I can't do it, can't ride without a helmet. And I live in FL where the majority don't wear anything. I'm not an ATGATT guy but, comeon!!
locomojo8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #43
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

I once had to replace the cheek pads in my Shoei RF-700...But that was because my dog peed on it.

I've heard new Snell ratings are supposedly softer than the old ones by the by. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #44
sloowpoke

Keep in mind, Snell is not a single rating, like DOT is. Snell has different ratings for different uses and only one of them is for street use in the USA. That one Snell rating for street use in the USA complies with the DOT specs, so a Snell helmet for street use is no better or worse than any other DOT helmet.

regards,
Joe
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #45
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
I've heard new Snell ratings are supposedly softer than the old ones by the by. Can anyone confirm this?
What you heard probably refers to changes in the Snell M standard after Motorcyclist published Blowing the Lid Off showing big flaws in M2005. These were corrected with M2010. M2015 is mostly unchanged. You can still find M2005 helmets for sale, have to check the internal sticker.

Blowing The Lid Off

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Mo...stHelmets.html

An interesting read about Ford getting fired after writing in the NYT about the M2010 update:

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-...urnalist-fired

Last edited by gotfz1; 06-06-2017 at 08:39 PM.
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #46
bplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
I am stuck buying Arai helmets due to my long oval noggin. Their Profile/Signet is the only helmet I have found that will correctly fit without hotspots developing on my forehead. Would like to find another more affordable brand just so I can stop paying so much for the Arai lids and replacement shields.
Try Suomy, they're also a relatively narrow fit. I had the same issue when I got a Scorpion. Loved all the features and the fit seemed good. But on longer rides I got the forehead hotspot of death.
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #47
aeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
I am stuck buying Arai helmets due to my long oval noggin. Their Profile/Signet is the only helmet I have found that will correctly fit without hotspots developing on my forehead. Would like to find another more affordable brand just so I can stop paying so much for the Arai lids and replacement shields.
I feel I am in the same boat but for the opposite reasons - stuck with Arai due to my roundish head shape. The RX-Q > Quantum X so far is the only helmet I fund that does not fold my ears like a bloodhound (and I don't have Obama ears) and does not press my sides of the skull like the device from the Spanish Inquisition era.

It seems like Arai is the only brand that manufacture their helmets for the different head shapes - Signet X is exactly the same as Quantum X, but for the narrow minded ... errr shaped heads.
aeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear