click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Instrument gauge cluster clear plastic has crazed

I tried searching to no avail, have other folks had problems with the plastic lens crazing/cracking/hard to see through on their 1st gen? At first I was able to polish and mostly make it easy to see through, but as time has gone on it just keeps getting worse. I'm wondering if this is a known issue or maybe I just got lucky and had the plastic exposed to something it didn't like in the last 14 years.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
longeze

No problems that I'm aware of. I keep my bike out of the sun as much as possible. Meguir's products are popular around here within the aviation community for restoration & maintenance of Lexan & plexiglass. There are also headlight lens restoration products you might try or maybe even toothpaste. Pretty much any fine abrasive slurry should help as long as it's not too course. If it bothers you, the gauges easily come apart, so you should be able to replace the lens if need be.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I have an '02 and '03, neither of which have any issues with the gauge windows. The '03 has 68k, plus spent time outside during the day when I commuted to an office.

I'm guessing there is a hard coating on the plastic to give it durability, which may now be non-existent. I would look for or attempt to make replacements. As you mentioned, it may have been exposed to something that attacked the plastic. Brake fluid perhaps.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
grommet
kinetic mentality

I have one I can send you for the cost of shipping. It's the one I've used with my MultiGauge test unit, which I'll never need to use on a running bike again.

PM me your info, and I'll get it on the way.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Never heard of that in my time here.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I have one I can send you for the cost of shipping. It's the one I've used with my MultiGauge test unit, which I'll never need to use on a running bike again.

PM me your info, and I'll get it on the way.
Awesome, and the price is right. I'll shoot you a PM, thanks!
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Old 06-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

The bike is mostly parked inside even when I park at work. I'm not sure what originally caused the problem but it started maybe 4 or 5 years ago, Sun exposure seems to make it get worse. It's hard to get a good picture of because the angle you're viewing it from affects the how you see it.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Hmm. Dunno what that is.

Have had brake fluid on FJR tach lens before and it turned milky white. Meguiar's PlastX made it look new.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
grommet
kinetic mentality

It's crazyng, that's what it is.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #10
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Package showed up over the weekend. Thanks again grommet, I really appreciate it!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues