register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
fz_fischer

Racetech shock - info about it ?

Hello Fellow FZ'rs !

I bought some parts ( hard bags, corbin seat, extra windscreens ) from a guy who sold his 2005 FZ gen 1. The previous owner before him was the original owner and also had a new ractech shock which he never installed so it's been offered to me now.

I've read articles talking about FZ rear suspension upgrades but never paid attention too much because of cost and I'm not a fast\hard rider so I'm not sure if it would be a benefit to me. Anyone care to comment ?

Some other details:

- I'm 5'9 about 160lbs
- 90% riding on my own, 10% with wife on the back ( hopefully more with the Corbin ! )
- Two sets of dogbones included with the package
- I'm on an 2003

Thanks all,

FZ_fischer
Attached Images
File Type: png racetech1.png (117.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: png racetech2.png (192.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: png racetech3.png (162.2 KB, 102 views)
fz_fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

That's actually a stock shock. Racetech made a valving kit to upgrade the stock shock. This stock shock may or may not have that upgrade installed. The part number for that box is just the part number for the blue spring. The spring alone is a worthwhile upgrade. But it only cost $70-$100 to buy new. Depending on weight and riding style, people went with 550-700 lb/in springs. I don't feel like doing the math to know what 8.9 converts to.

In my opinion that shock is worth what any used stock shock is worth plus $80 only if the spring rate is what you would choose if you were to just buy the spring. The red spring is stock and basically worthless. If the seller claims the shock has been upgraded, I would ask for proof.

I ride mostly alone and only slightly aggressive at 180lbs. I went with a 550 spring and am happy with it.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
fz_fischer

Thanks Liquid !

I've sent a note to Racetech support to see if they can provide details on the spring.

FZ_fischer
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Did the Gen1 shock have that style of rebound adjuster?
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Similar weight here on my '03, and ride with wife quite a bit. The stock shock is "ok" for solo riding, but add another body and some luggage out back and you'll definitely need more spring.

Have you considered the R6 shock upgrade? It is relatively cheap and very effective. Board member Dean Dinnetz has ready to install packages or you can buy on on fleabay, then make your own dog bones from aluminium stock. Cut to length, drill holes. Pretty darn easy actually.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time or money on a stock shock, when a much better alternative is available for such low cost.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
fz_fischer

Good thought on the R6 shock. I've never really investigated rear shock options as I always associated it big $$. I'll do some reading on the R6 swap. Thanks for the info !
Old 10-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
fz_fischer

A quick look locally here in Vancouver and I can find a 2015 R6 shock for $50 CAN.

Are all R6 shocks through the years the same specs length wise ? Or should I look for a certain year?

Thanks guys. Still reading up on the swap.

FZ_fischer in Vancouver
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
fz_fischer

A quick look locally here in Vancouver and I can find a 2015 R6 shock for $50 CAN.

Are all R6 shocks through the years the same specs length wise ? Or should I look for a certain year?

A bit more reading and I found that there is an FZR6 ( entry level bike ) and an R6R ( more track oriented ). Which shock am I looking for ..?

FZ_fischer in Vancouver
Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
82packer
Shoe King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_fischer View Post

A bit more reading and I found that there is an FZR6 ( entry level bike ) and an R6R ( more track oriented ). Which shock am I looking for ..?

FZ_fischer in Vancouver
Has to be the R6R shock. If it says R6S or it says R6 and has a reservoir parallel to shock body it's wrong part. Many sellers don't know the difference and list many ways.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
fz_fischer

Thanks for the details - now to find an R6R shock.

btw: Here's what Mike Crow of Racetech tech support said about the spring when I sent him pics.:

Mike Crow
Tue, Oct 16, 10:52 AM (20 hours ago)
to me

It is an 8.9kg spring 58.2 x 178mm long, which is basically a 7” x 2.25” x 500lbs.

Spring is way too soft for almost any rider on an FZ1. You would need a 13.8 at 160lbs.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
fz_fischer

Sorry, one more question.

Do I have to worry about a certain year of R6R shock ?

Thanks all,

FZ_fischer
Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_fischer View Post
Sorry, one more question.

Do I have to worry about a certain year of R6R shock ?

Thanks all,

FZ_fischer
Yes, and I'm pretty sure you don't just plop the r6r shock in. There are adjustments. Dean sells them ready to install for like 200.

Very worth while cheap mod for gen1. Loved that shock when I had my 05. Talk to Dean.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=125361
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
ctfz1
corner carver

Second the Dean Kit.
fwiw in 2002 California Suspension (long gone) modified stock shock with gold valve and resprung for my weight. Was expensive and excellent.
I use a Deans kit on current 2002.
Used Hyabusa links to lower a little to make easier to throw leg over saddle. Otherwise kit was fine.
Some people have Dean make links to raise rear of bike.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering