read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #21
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Look at an old helmet...everything inside has shrunk from exposure to oxygen. Add heat, sweat and humidity with mine and 5 years is a good service life. Price does not matter although the cheap ones disentegrate very fast.
I guess you could fit new padding and fabric to compensate for time, good luck finding fresh internals from any manufacturer after 4-5 years.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #22
Waculjr903
Twisted One

The reason for the question is if it was worth buying one on closure price. Or buy a fresh one off the current line instead of last years model. Thanks for everyone's input!
Waculjr903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #23
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg View Post
They also recommend replacing your helmet every 5 years because of the various advances in helmet tech that take place almost every year.
Helmets consist of an outer shell, inner Styrofoam which is the actual protection layer, liners which simply provide comfort for the rider and a strap latching mechanism.
What substantial advances have taken place over the years?
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
longeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
...What substantial advances have taken place over the years?
http://www.sportrider.com/revolution...helmets#page-6
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waculjr903 View Post
The reason for the question is if it was worth buying one on closure price. Or buy a fresh one off the current line instead of last years model. Thanks for everyone's input!
I have a helmet fetish (not in that way you kinky bastards). So, I have no problem buying a clearance helmet for half the price, wear it for a couple of years and get another one.

I usually donate my old ones to the local fire dept, so they can use them as training tools.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 AM   #26
Butt Head

When it gets loose and moves around too much or after a major prang, never bothered with minor drops like off your mirror or seat or time frames
Butt Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:46 AM   #27
aussie
Closet golf nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
I guess you could fit new padding and fabric to compensate for time, good luck finding fresh internals from any manufacturer after 4-5 years.
Arai FTW!

Oh and FWIW Shuberth helmets have a 5 year warranty so unless they make their helmets out of totally different materials, the 5 year replacement thing is probably overkill.

Hasn't stopped me from replacing my lid every 5 years though. Love getting a new helmet!!LOL
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #28
mabbott
Resident Nobody

I actually agree with the Snell Foundation. Their website lists this as an answer to why every 5 years.

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

From personal experience, when I have upgraded my helmets to a newer model .... Shoei fits my melon :-) The performance of the helmet has increased dramatically. I also support the new helmet purchasing program :-) My head is worth it. Fortunately for my, my wife also rides and supports the purchases.
09 in the faster blue, Ivan's ECU reflash, Ivan's air box mod, AIS blocked, BMC air filter, Yoshimura R-77 full exhaust, Ohlins front fork internals, Penske 8983 Dual adjustable rear shock, DirtRoad seat, HIDs flush mount blinkers, integrated taillight, fender eliminator. 07 In black, blinged out by Rizoma, Ivanized, Penske 8983 Dual adjustable rear shock, Corbin seat, Copperdawg screen.
mabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
OldBiker

I was a chemist many years ago and worked with plastics, resins and coatings. We tested plasticizers that keep plastic, vinyl and styrofoam pliable. In all cases I worked on the plasticizer would leach out rendering the resin, foam or coatings brittle. It worked out to be about 5 to 10 years depending on material.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #30
DaveAA

liability. use common sense, and inspect your lid
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #31
Dean Dinnetz

I have five Shoei, full face helmets. A Qwest, RF1100, RF1000, and two TZ-R's. Both of the TZ-R's, have been painted by me, to match the "Shunk" livery, on my 2002 FZ1.

I think i will go for a ride today, and wear my three year old, RF1100 to compare, to the others.
Newer tech, better venting, and more chin space. lol!

Dean

P.S. Back from the ride, and the RF1100 does indeed, vent better. I think i will sell the RF1000, here in the classifieds. Great helmet, but the 1100 is a bit better for me.

Last edited by Dean Dinnetz; 10-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waculjr903 View Post
I read on the Shoei website that it is only 5 yrs and recommended to get another one. On Arai's site, 7yrs from date of manufacture. Kind of hard to believe that a $500-$1000 helmet is only good for time stated above. I keep all my gear in my office closet that is climate controlled . I don't let shit bake in the sun day in and day out. Clean helmet w/ mild soap n water.
Does anyone have any knowledge that they are good for longer than stated? Hit me with your wisdom peeps.

I think 5 years is probably a good timetable due to the type of material inside the helmet. It is just not able to absorb sweat, oil from our hair, etc. I do not know of anything that could increase the lifespan of a helmet. I do agree with you that something priced that high should last longer but the bottom line is just too risky to push the limits on something like that.

On the bright side, football is under INCREDIBLE pressure to develop new helmet technology and we will probably benefit from those advances. I am hoping that will transition over to the world of motorcycle helmets.

I just saw this new type of design and I have to say I love it. IDK - it looks like it's been around for a while and I just missed it??? Seems like a good idea if it provides similar protection.

https://tech.co/motorcycle-vozz-helmets-2015-12

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #33
OldBiker

^ Remember rear entry ski boots? Gone for twenty years now.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #34
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
^ Remember rear entry ski boots? Gone for twenty years now.

I remember...... LOL..... I thought that was a great idea also......

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #35
flbusa
Pot Stirrer

Re: Helmet replacement...

I think it's a combination of three factors.

1. Usable life of the liner.

2. Liability mitigation.

and... 3. Profit.
If a helmet lasted forever or if you could buy a replacement liner... you sure as heck wouldn't be buying a new one. Pretty much the same reason why most cell phones do not have replaceable batteries.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #36
magpiemale
A Geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
My Bike insurance covers a clause for my bike gear up to $2000. I have never tested to see if my helmet was dropped or accidentally run over weather they would cover a replacement. Has anyone else had the misfortune to have to try this?
i did this in england..got a measly few pounds considering the cost of the helmet...the insurance looks and sounds good but n practice not lot of use.But knock yourself out an try claiming for it and see how much you get back.

magpiemale
Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #37
RED06

It is just because of some people are Layering up at ANY thing they can and the company's that make helmets said screw that we will show them now there is a shelf life on helmets 5 or so years and then we get more money! Sell them another! Think about Football helmets they do not buy new ones every game but they do get the hell beat out of them!
2013 FZ1 Delkevic Carbon fiber shorty slip on, Graves plates ais blocked off and removed and the exup all removed and the servo mod so no code ECU Flashed, Gutted cat, adjustable blue levers, dual usb ports, led's all over, integrated tail light in white, K-N, frame plugs, Blue swing arm spools, Blue oil cap and clutch wire adjuster and blue top for the front master cylinder. Corbin rear with carbon Fiber oval back rest. H4's both sides
RED06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #38
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Er, football players might not be the example you are looking for (in many ways) considering what we've learned about CTE. Rather not go out like Junior Seau thanks.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #39
Desmo
Mein Führer!

And football helmets aren’t constructed anything like a motorcycle helmet.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #40
RED06

oops just my crazy 2 cents
2013 FZ1 Delkevic Carbon fiber shorty slip on, Graves plates ais blocked off and removed and the exup all removed and the servo mod so no code ECU Flashed, Gutted cat, adjustable blue levers, dual usb ports, led's all over, integrated tail light in white, K-N, frame plugs, Blue swing arm spools, Blue oil cap and clutch wire adjuster and blue top for the front master cylinder. Corbin rear with carbon Fiber oval back rest. H4's both sides
RED06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear