View Poll Results: Daily riders only , ATGATT
All the gear all the time 33 82.50%
I live for T-shirt weather 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

Poll only for daily riders , ATGATT ?

This poll is only for daily riders , those of us who do not own cars or drive very infrequently.

All the gear all the time ?

I live for T-shirt weather ?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Wayne-O

I always wear a helmet. I dress heavily a great part of the year so I look forward to T-shirt weather. Does anyone put ALL the gear on to go to coffee or get a quart of milk? In August ? Every day?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
rdcusmc

ATGATT.

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
fermic37

well im still taking care of road rash on my arm from laying a bike down at 30 mph in a tshirt about a month ago.

Just going around the block at my house.

I at least wear some sort of protection when just going for a quick rip.

So yeah ATGATT.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

I read somewhere that most accidents occur within a half mile from home, so I moved. Yeah, ATGATT.
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

I haven't been a daily rider for a few months, but I was for 3 years prior, and at other times before that.

I'm more like MGMTT. Most gear most of the time. On long rides and many trips it was all the gear. On my commute the norm was full face helmet, gloves, ankle covering boots, often a jacket, and most of the time just jeans on the legs. Sometimes I'd go without the jacket but would usually have a long sleeve shirt (basically no more protection than a tshirt), and some times but not often I'd wear over-pants.

On my longer rides in the summer I actually like wearing my mesh/ballistic jacket. It's light in color, keeps the sun off, and breathes. In real heat (high 90s/triple digits) if I am out for a long ride I also add a cooling vest under the mesh.

ATGATT would be ideal for the sake of protection. But, it's not always practicable.

Also, and this surely will sound silly to some, I feel more free just jumping on my bikes without pressuring myself to fully gear up. The wind feels nice. It's easier to just jump on and go, and to jump off when I'm done. Putting on overpante in particular I find to be an inconvenience and uncomfortable.

The things I virtually never ride without are the full face, gloves, and ankle covering boots. On short jaunts around the neighborhood or to run a short errand I stress less about the other stuff. I've even went in running shoes on very short rides around the block or whatever, but that's rare.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
Does anyone put ALL the gear on to go to coffee or get a quart of milk? In August ? Every day?
No. Of course not. Anyone who says they do is full of it.

Personally, I draw the line at shorts, though.

NO riding in shorts. EVER!

(Except on Fathers Day.)

(And then only because I have a really nice pair of white/blue/maroon plaid Bermuda Shorts.)

(I like them so much I bought a white 1974 BMW R60-6 to match the shorts.)
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
well im still taking care of road rash on my arm from laying a bike down at 30 mph in a tshirt about a month ago.
I have scars on the inside of both forearms from crashes over the years.

Some are from summer time motorcycle crashes.

Some are from bicycle racing crashes. (At 30 mph, lycra actually allows the road to come THROUGH the fabric and give you road rash without a tear in the fabric!)

War stories are way more credible when you have the physical evidence to back them up.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
grommet
kinetic mentality

I have crashed a motorcycle several times. I have zero road rash.

While I won't say I've never done it (I did ride from the Super 8 to the Walmart in Harrison, AR, once, without all my gear on, and I've test-ridden a bike or two prior to purchase with only a helmet), I will say yes, I wear all of it all the time, regardless of conditions or distance.

Many bicycle crashes have taught me you can die or be seriously injured at 10mph. I like my body the way it is. Undamaged.

edit: I ride to work almost every day, every month of the year. Only time I won't ride is if there's a heavy rainstorm going on or ice/snow on the roads.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.

Last edited by grommet; 08-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
sparky80

Not that it matters any, but I HAVE to wear gear all the time. Well, gear in the sense that it has to be long sleeve, pants, boots and gloves. I say have to because the military says so and if I get in a wreck without gear on, a line of duty determination comes into play and they decide if i should be medically covered or not. That includes life insurance if the worst happens.
BUT... i do wear gear all the time regardless if they had that rule or not. Even with gear on, I have road rash and scars... such is life.

That at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:10-11

I don't like texas... missing California!
sparky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
okrider

While I try to be atgatt as possible, heat plays an important role in deciding what I buy and wear. I bought a "bad" helmet (Kabuto Kamui) for around town riding because it's so darn hot here in Atlanta. I also wear A* short gloves and summer jacket along with Levi's jeans when riding around town. Anything more than a couple blocks and I'll wear motorcycle shoes. Shoei helmet, touring jacket, pants and riding boots for touring.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Commuting off and on 40+ years in SoCal. Voted ATGATT but there are some rare times will admit to not having leg armor on. When I do so I accept the risk. No excuse.

Late 80s hit some anti-freeze that couldn't be seen at the time and bars went instant full lock and I was off at 60ish on a freeway off-ramp with a lot of time to think about whether someone was coming along behind me and oh the bike is going to be effed up when we both stop sliding

All that was left on the right leg was the pocket. Keys were poking through

The rim was bent just enough to cause a slow leak so pushed it to a gas station, pumped it up, and rode the last few miles home with my rashed thigh flapping in the breeze. Learned from friction burns that leather can survive a lot of abuse but if it can move in a slide you might not come out unscathed. Also learned 20 lbs of STEM college books in a backpack make a great spine protector

Some of my jobs required coat and tie, uniforms, special footwear etc. You can make it work if it's a priority.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Commuting off and on 40+ years in SoCal. Voted ATGATT but there are some rare times will admit to not having leg armor on. When I do so I accept the risk. No excuse.

Late 80s hit some anti-freeze that couldn't be seen at the time and bars went instant full lock and I was off at 60ish on a freeway off-ramp with a lot of time to think about whether someone was coming along behind me and oh the bike is going to be effed up when we both stop sliding

All that was left on the right leg was the pocket. Keys were poking through

The rim was bent just enough to cause a slow leak so pushed it to a gas station, pumped it up, and rode the last few miles home with my rashed thigh flapping in the breeze. Learned from friction burns that leather can survive a lot of abuse but if it can move in a slide you might not come out unscathed. Also learned 20 lbs of STEM college books in a backpack make a great spine protector

Some of my jobs required coat and tie, uniforms, special footwear etc. You can make it work if it's a priority.
Right. I've ridden in suit pants, dress shirt, and tie, with the jacket and shoes in the luggage. Upon arrival, the riding suit and boots went in the luggage and I looked just as if I had suited up and driven my car.

I rode 60 miles this morning in jeans and my mesh, with all the other usual stuff. I need a new cool weather jacket, tho. This mesh will be virtually useless in a getoff.
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Since I sold the FZ and have the Zuma I've totally be squiding out....shorts, t-shirt, flip flops, open face helmet with sunglasses. I rather enjoy it.

Is it smart? Well....no. I'm an adult though and can make those decisions.

Now if I commute to work on it, etc, then yes I'll gear up more.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
giddyup

ATGATT...99.9% of the time.
It is the 0.1% I worry bout.

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #16
isleoman

Went down three years ago after hitting a hawk. Wasn't my first crash, in fact it was probably the least amount of physical damage of any of my crashes. Thank some deity for the full coverage I had on, or life would be different now. It did wake me up finally to the need for ATGATT.

Before that I was helmet, jacket, gloves and boots all the time. Now its ATGATT
and its tough in the middle of the summer, even in New England.

In my way of thinking true ATGATT would be full leather or engineered riding suit. I do use two piece mesh with armor on hot days and it does worry me.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
In my way of thinking true ATGATT would be full leather or engineered riding suit. I do use two piece mesh with armor on hot days and it does worry me.
There is a lot of good info in this thread. I continue to be pleased with the Badlands gear. Single digits (with heated liners) up to 105-110°, no need to mess with a separate rain suit, and ceramic armor and/or Kevlar in the impact & abrasion areas.

For extended periods over 100°, I use the LD Comfort Cool Sleeve method, with added air scoops to help push air in. It works well, producing an active cooling system without ice and without a powered thermal exchange unit.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #18
sloowpoke

ATGATT... Despite never having crashed after I gave up doing it in the dirt, back in the 1970's. Trees don't jump out in front of you, when you stay on the pavement :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
JEP
Living the Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFZ1guy View Post
I'm more like MGMTT. Most gear most of the time. On long rides and many trips it was all the gear. On my commute the norm was full face helmet, gloves, ankle covering boots, often a jacket, and most of the time just jeans on the legs. Sometimes I'd go without the jacket but would usually have a long sleeve shirt (basically no more protection than a tshirt), and some times but not often I'd wear over-pants.
Exactly where I am.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #20
Wayne-O

This is for daily riders whose primary means of transportation is motorcycles. Meaning if you need to go somewhere near or far you go on a motorcycle. All the gear all the time ? Two alls !
Long sleeve shirt is not ALL the gear.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear