click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 06-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #101
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Lane spiltting here in Ca., has been legal almost four years now. I think a form of it, is also legal in Utah.

Been a real boon here on our freeways, as they can get very busy, at certain times of the day. Do not understand, why the rest of the states, have not figured that out, that L.S. does work, and work well.

Back in 1960, Ca. was the first state to allow turning right on a red light after a stop, if the way was clear. Took the rest of the states, to get on board with that one, for a few years, also. We tend to try things out here, and see if they work.

Dean
I do wonder how it would do with entitled and territorial drivers, those who pull from a dead stop and say "damn the torpedos and my state minimum insurance!", the ones who actively try to cut someone off just because they don't want to be passed, the ones who overdrive their cars because they're convinced their clapped out salvage titled jalopy can stop on a dime and tailgate, and the ones who think more than one lane simply means they have more space and nobody else would ever need to get past. You get the idea

How does CA deal with such issues?

I can easily see an SUV trying to squeeze the space beside them and the next car because "this is my spot!".
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #102
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
I do wonder how it would do with entitled and territorial drivers, those who pull from a dead stop and say "damn the torpedos and my state minimum insurance!", the ones who actively try to cut someone off just because they don't want to be passed, the ones who overdrive their cars because they're convinced their clapped out salvage titled jalopy can stop on a dime and tailgate, and the ones who think more than one lane simply means they have more space and nobody else would ever need to get past. You get the idea

I can easily see an SUV trying to squeeze the space beside them and the next car because "this is my spot!".
If the law passed and it was allowed here, I'd still be very cautious, as it will take time for every bonehead to realize it is legally allowed.

I know pedal pushers are a squeaky little crowd, but I'd sure like to see that law changed also to keep them single file and within a foot or so of the white line. Coming around a uphill blind corner at legal speeds to a bicycle doing 1.7mph, huffing and puffing their brains out, smack in the middle of said lane.....
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #103
grommet
kinetic mentality

My experience with filtering has been that if you're not being a dick about it, people don't really care. I have run across a few boneheads, but they are rare. If anyone tries to get aggressive in their car, there are always multiple ways to practice avoidance, and since they are basically stuck in the traffic, it's very difficult for them to really do much more than try to cut you off. An alert and quick motorcyclist has the upper hand in almost every way in these situations.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #104
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
My experience with filtering has been that if you're not being a dick about it, people don't really care. I have run across a few boneheads, but they are rare. If anyone tries to get aggressive in their car, there are always multiple ways to practice avoidance, and since they are basically stuck in the traffic, it's very difficult for them to really do much more than try to cut you off. An alert and quick motorcyclist has the upper hand in almost every way in these situations.
I think that is a common and sensible way of going about it, and works well most of the time for those that do. When I was commuting quite a bit, I didn't have any horrible traffic situations, and probably could have done just as you describe, with mostly favorable results. I just didn't really need to. But as I also often ride two-up, my logic was to ride consistently, especially in commute traffic, so that I would not be tempted to do it with a passenger.

Plus, there's ALOT of that entitled mentality out here, and I just never justified taking the risk, at least for filtering. That's just pisses off alot of people.

On the flip side, I had one pig rider want to beat my ass after following their stinky gaggle of lane wallowing turds down Richard Russell Parkway one afternoon. At the end of the twisty stuff, their line of 8-9 bikes took off down a straight section, with me (two-up) bringing up the rear. Easy to dispatch, normally, but head moron sees me coming up on the left and give it full throttle to attempt a block. The only reason I could see was I was hurting his pride at being passed in front of his loyal followers.

I had shifted to third thinking I was about done, but once I realized the idiot was accelerating I had to blip back down to second so I could finish the move. At the next intersection he pulled up to let me know about it and to follow him for an assbeating. I did, pulled over in Helen, and phoucwad kept going. Good thing.

The retarded mentality of folks is not lost on me and the lane splitting thing just hasn't proven to be needed. I don't ride in tons of traffic on a regular basis either.

Basically, I'll pass when there's room to get around and up ahead to really go, but wiggling through traffic I'll leave to you good folks.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
Old 06-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #105
Dean Dinnetz

Yeah, when the law first went into effect here in Ca. in 2016, there were some car drivers that did not like it. I never had a problem with cars trying to cut me off in my lane splitting, but a number of times, they would sound their car horns in anger.

That being said, about ten/fifteen percent of car drivers now, pull away slightly, to make more room for me to split lanes. Everybody here knows that it is the law, and is legal to split lanes here.

I have be careful when i do state to state travel however, because other states just have not got it yet, about lane splitting. It will happen, but it will take time, just like the red light turn gig.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #106
Fozzy1

Well, don't do a burnout with a cop hiding around the corner....
Fozzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #107
Fizzman
Retired

More and more traffic signals around here are using the camera method of detection. They work, for the most part, but have other issues relating to low sun, weather, crap like that. Having said that, I will happily go through a dead red if it hasn't detected me.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #108
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post

My comments are wrt lane sharing/splitting on multi lane highways/freeways.

Lane sharing's main safety benefit is reducing rear-end tail gate risk. Staying in a line of stop and go is the most dangerous place to be for a bike.

CA doesn't deal with any of the rest any more than other states. All of the things that happen because another driver is aggressive happen here too out of aggression or more often, distraction. Hey that guy just tried to effin kill me... oh, was retrieving his phone/egg mcmuffin/fidget spinner. Situational awareness, good judgment, reasonable skill level controlling the motorcycle are the things that keep one from getting dead. Not loud pipes, horns, headlight modulators, or high viz whatzits.

CA drivers are more aware of it but that's just from observation. We have so many folks that drive here from other states and countries that legal status doesn't do much. In fact the drivers who are a little too nice, moving off into the shoulder when a bike passes, actually cause more problems than help. The sudden movement increases my workload (are they making an evasive maneuver?). It also kicks up dust and crap from the shoulder. Good lane sharing is cages not knowing, caring, or being inconvenienced and riders assuming every driver is deaf and blind and has Tourette's Lane Jumper Disease (thinking you can get there sooner by constantly changing lanes -- see opening sequence of the film Office Space).

Legally speaking CA is a shared negligence state. Lane sharing is always considered to be elevated risk and the motorcyclist is generally the initiator and bears the risk. Thus when someone gets knocked down, unless there's a witness/camera/etc and a driver does something wildly unsafe the motorcyclist will end up getting all or part of the blame. That said it isn't very common.

All of the above is IMO but been doing this here a long time. Most do it wrong. Seen a few get knocked down, seen a motor cop get dead (his fault). These are my anecdotes. There are many like and unlike them, but these ones are mine.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #109
Tom Renda
A person off color

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
I know pedal pushers are a squeaky little crowd, but I'd sure like to see that law changed also to keep them single file and within a foot or so of the white line. Coming around a uphill blind corner at legal speeds to a bicycle doing 1.7mph, huffing and puffing their brains out, smack in the middle of said lane.....
Bicyclists are like everybody else. They come in a variety of flavors.

I have been on group rides with guys who are total dicks about taking a full lane, or riding two abreast, on two lane roads. They think it's legal because a car can't pass with the required three or four feet of clearance (at least without going over the double yellow line). I don't ride with them again after I see that kind of pig headedness.

There are occasions where I am riding on a two lane road where a car comes up on me in a blind curve. I typically motion for them to hold up where there is no line of sight, but then immediately pull over and wave them as soon as it is safe to do so. Most drivers are very appreciative.

Then there was the grey haired old prick in a Corvette convertible who thought it would be funny to "buzz" past me and my blind buddy on the back of my tandem, less than a foot away from us. He didn't count on us catching up with him at a nearby stop light. He got a four letter laced dressing down in front of a crowd here in Ellicott City and a threat to climb into his car and kill him. Not so funny, huh?
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #110
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Hmm. I think that state parks and surrounding areas should close down certain paths to motor vehicle traffic. Then we could open those paths as “hiking paths” or “bicycle trails”. That would solve them being on the road surely.

Or we could just open all the existing trails we have up to motorized traffic, since the cyclists seemingly don’t wanna use them anyway.

Was out on the tiger this Friday and rode through the NF. Saw 2 people riding cycles off road in the NF, the rest of the idiots were riding on the paved roads in the mountains. Seriously, I very rarely see people riding bicycles around where I live, but when I ride up to the mountains, it’s packed with people on the side of the road unloading their road only bicycles. Why they feel the need to put themselves in harms way is beyond me. They can hold a pretty decent pace downhill, but I’m assuming they ride for the exercise, so downhill isn’t the point.

When you’re on a even slow speed road, say 35mph, and you come around one of our often blind corners to a cyclist doing less than walking pace struggling up the hill, it’s dangerous. Dangerous for them, and dangerous for us because we have such a enormous speed differential. Just as interstates have a minimum speed requirement, they shouldn’t allow these guys on the roads in the hills. It’s not like there isn’t enough mountain bike trails and paved bike paths in state parks to ride, around here they’re everywhere.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #111
Tom Renda
A person off color

Ah yes. Everybody thinks they are a fargin' genius when it comes to telling others how to behave.

NOT!!

If you are coming around a blind corner, what's the difference between a slow moving bicyclist and a broken down car? Or a pedestrian? Or a deer? Or a rock slide? Or an Amish horse and buggy (if you are up near Lancaster or out in Ohio)?

If it's a blind corner then it's your responsibility to be prepared for road hazards. Period. End of story.

If you want to pretend you are Ricky Racer and the fastest rider around (you're not) then go do a track day, like the adults among us.

Listen, due to morons like you, I generally try to stay off highly travelled roads whenever possible when I am out on my road bike. I never take my blind friends out on the tandem on open roads any more. I incorporate closed roads like Rock Creek Park or the Patapsco State Park whenever possible into my road rides to minimize the risk of running into idiots who do not know how to operate a motorcycle or a car properly. Believe me, I don't want to interact in any way with people like you.

As far as banning bicycles from roadways, they already are banned from many. Typically it is limited access highways, but some local bans do exist. However, since bicycle touring is a significant source of revenue in many places (such as the Eastern Shore/Delmarva) most localities go the other way, and try to welcome cyclists.

Just remember, like the Old City in Quebec (or the Garden State Parkway from 1961 to 1975) motorcycles can be banned from roadways, too.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #112
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I take it you don’t have the invasion of bicycles like we do.

I have been to the tail of the dragon while the yearly bicycle ride was coming through. They start at Tellico Plains, and ride north to Maryville, 129 south across the dragon to robbinsville, then the cherohala skyway back to TP. Super long bicycle ride across many of the areas most popular touristy roads.

The problem lies when they get to roads like the dragon is where I’m making my argument. There are a lot of corners on that road where your line of sight is less than 50 feet, and it’s like that for MILES, not a couple of corners. So when a person in a passenger car or truck gets stuck behind them, it’s difficult to be able to pass because your line of sight is so short. At any moment a truck could pull around the oncoming curve, minding his own business doing the speed limit.

In my state, on the interstate sections that are marked 70, have a minimum speed of 40 posted. If the state and DOT have deemed that a speed differential of 30mph is unsafe with hundreds of yards of visibility, then that same speed differential should hold true across the board on all roads. Especially in the mountains, where you’re likely to encounter your Ricky racer.

If you’re mode of transport has such a large speed differential compared to that of the traffic around you, it shouldn’t be there.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #113
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Can we get back to trying to trip the light?
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #114
iluvmyfz1

Tom, sounds like you're in the minority of being a courteous cyclist, just as I was when I pedaled out on the roads.

My point was about changing the law, so that every cyclist would be legally required to stay single file on a roadway where multi-ton vehicles are moving at speeds multiple to the little bicycle. The reality is it is just stupid to impose that two-abreast bicycle crap on motor vehicles, which could be an 80,000 pound semi traveling at the posted limit, coming around the corner to find some out of shape pedal pusher mid-lane or more.

You could be right to use the road like that, but you can very easily be dead too. I have zero sympathy for the pedal pusher that uses too much road, and if one wants to verbally attack me for what they think was a "dick pass', go ahead, scream your little pu$$y lungs out baby. Breathe my exhaust deeply and hold the goodness in your lungs.

Back to the light tripping. I've tried all the tricks of alignment, kickstand, even got off and put down the centerstand once. Georgia and everywhere needs the "dead red" law.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques