click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 06-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
larry1911

VCycleNut Flash-Mine Review

Well, just swapped my ECU for one flashed by VCycleNut.

Because I used the exchange service, I had the advantage of riding the bike with the stock ECU and then riding the flashed bike an hour later.

This is an '09 with a Two Brothers carbon slip-on, and about 12K miles. I've ridden it for a year and a half, and just did 260 miles this past Saturday, so I have a pretty fair idea of what it was like with the standard flash.

I had the 'slip-on' flash done, without raising the rev limiter, correcting for a 16/45 gearing set up, removing the fuel cut on decel and the other 'standard' stuff. Sort of the basic flash David does.

Observations:

I have no idea if overall HP is increased; I almost never get to redline this bike, and it will likely be quite some time before I get to again. It's essentially irrelevant to me, since it's already faster than I'll ever go. Sorry. ;)

I DID want more midrange, smoother throttle transitions and to get rid of the popping when you throttle off, and that's exactly what I got. It's as if the powerband was shifted down 1k RPM or more, with (what feels like) a significant increase in torque.

I'm anxious to put more miles on this, but so far, it's shaping up to be the best $ I've spent on a motorcycle upgrade, and I'm thoroughly glad I did it.

Larry
larry1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Sweet! The stock ECU settings on the FZ1 leave so much to be desired. My FZ1 is an '06, so it was even worse. In stock form it was laughably bad

As you noted, the engine is much more responsive and smoother too. My '06 has a full exhaust and it has a PCIII with various maps on it for years. Post flash (Ivans) was the icing on the cake - it revs so much smoother and freer with the flash. I had an ignition module too and played with the timing, but the flash is much better. Now it really does just wanna show me the rev limiter and send me off to jail...

My other bike is a Super Tenere, I had it's ECU flashed for a slip on with no DB killer by the "VCycleNut" guy for that bike, That Super T has a severe power and response limiting in the 1st 3 gears and it has the "YCCT" throttle, so the ECU controls the one set of butterflies in the throttle bodies with an iron sanitized for our protection fist. Post flash in "sport mode" with the TC turned off, it can throttle up wheelies across the intersection. Shaft drive bikes can wheelie after all

The Super T has excessive engine braking. Combined with the on/off "digital" fueling, it made the bike nearly as harsh my '06 was in the on/off throttle department. Now it feels "analog" like a well tuned set of carbs. On the Super T, having a slip on with no DB killer and the flashed ECU did not do much for the top end (which is stuffed by a hard to remove CAT) but it added a ton of low end and midrange power. 2K to 5K RPM covers it nicely on that machine, as 5K equates to over 90 MPH. It also sounds smooth and deep with no raspiness like a good V8 on the highway too - totally bad ass, plus it averages around 54 MPG cruising on the highway, giving an easy 275 to 300 mile range

I mention my Super T because what is it with Yamaha anyway? They really seem to cripple their bikes with the ECU programming, regardless of model.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M

Last edited by Duken4evr; 06-24-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
larry1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Sweet! The stock ECU settings on the FZ1 leave so much to be desired. My FZ1 is an '06, so it was even worse. In stock form it was laughably bad

As you noted, the engine is much more responsive and smoother too. My '06 has a full exhaust and it has a PCIII with various maps on it for years. Post flash (Ivans) was the icing on the cake - it revs so much smoother and freer with the flash. I had an ignition module too and played with the timing, but the flash is much better. Now it really does just wanna show me the rev limiter and send me off to jail...

My other bike is a Super Tenere, I had it's ECU flashed for a slip on with no DB killer by the "VCycleNut" guy for that bike, That Super T has a severe power and response limiting in the 1st 3 gears and it has the "YCCT" throttle, so the ECU controls the one set of butterflies in the throttle bodies with an iron sanitized for our protection fist. Post flash in "sport mode" with the TC turned off, it can throttle up wheelies across the intersection. Shaft drive bikes can wheelie after all

The Super T has is excessive engine braking. Combined with the on/off "digital" fueling, it made the bike nearly as harsh my '06 was in the on/off throttle department. Now it feels "analog" like a well tuned set of carbs. On the Super T, having a slip on with no DB killer and the flashed ECU did not do much for the top end (which is stuffed by a hard to remove CAT) but it added a ton of low end and midrange power. 2K to 5K RPM covers it nicely on that machine, as 5K equates to over 90 MPH. It also sounds smooth and deep with no raspiness like a good V8 on the highway too - totally bad ass, plus it averages around 54 MPG cruising on the highway, giving an easy 275 to 300 mile range

I mention my Super T because what is it with Yamaha anyway? They really seem to cripple their bikes with the ECU programming, regardless of model.
Doggone it, now you have me wanting a Super Tenere! That sounds like a great bike.

Larry
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Map Maven

The Super T is no KTM 1290R, but it is a low key kinda bike with good smooth and "easy" power post mods. I just put a custom tractor saddle Russell Day Long looking seat on it by Terry Adcox Custom Seats, 500 mile days are cake! Terry is the man...

The Super T "disappears" and does not beat the rider over the head with how much power it has or how cool it is. Somehow the Super T just quietly and very competently does the rider's bidding, and stays out of the way of simply enjoying the ride. The bike has been accused of being "boring". A fair point if the rider is looking for a quick thrill. Instead the Tenere is the kind of bike where I can point it north, set the cruise and next thing know I am in Wyoming. It is also an unfussy bike that is as reliable as the sunrise. I love it for that.

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
larry1911

So, a second short (40 miles) ride confirmed everything I thought I felt on the first ride; throttle response is smoother, power delivery is *much* more immediate, and it feels like (and I'm not sure this makes sense) there's less vibration in the bars and seat?

Along with the corrected speedometer, I'm very happy so far with the results. And while 40 miles isn't a good test, it used .98 gallons of gas; has anyone else had MPG go UP after a flash? That wasn't what I was expecting...

Larry
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Less vibration totally makes sense. Sounds like VCycleNut did a good job. Hard to say on fuel economy, I can see that, but it is hard for me not to rev it more because it is fun to.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
OldBiker

The Vcyclenut ECU flash was the best money I ever spent on a motorcycle. Dave was able to customize the flash to my desires and the end result is outstanding.

He removed the first three gear restrictions, removed the FC, raised the top rpm, set the fuel map for stock exhaust, lower the fan activation temp to 205 F. All for a very, very reasonable price.

My fuel mileage will vary on how I ride but on the highway at 65 -75 mph I'll get around 42 to 44 mpg. In town, Chicago, it drops down to 32 to 38 mpg.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
MiDe

I also got my ECU back from Dave on the 24th. I cant say enough good things about it. The first thing I noticed was just how much smoother the bike is now especially on downshifts. I had him remove all restrictions, raise the rpm limit, lower the fan temps, disable ais/injector cut, and adjust fueling/flies for my mods.

I have noticed I have to be a little bit easier on the throttle now since the front wheel appears to have lost some weight as well. On top of all this my MPG seems to have improved too.

Out of all the things I changed on this bike this is by far the best one.
09 FZ1: Lars airbox mod, BMC filter, Yoshi slipon with gutted cat, Vcyclenut ECU flash, unkinkable fuel line mod, 16T, SpeedoDRD, CRG Levers, Motodynamic tail light/side markers/tail tidy, Sargent seats, Satan pegs, Throttlemeister. Riding on Power5 tires 190/55 rear.
MiDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance