click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #121
FLFZ1
Cajun by birth Save by grace

Keep fighting the the good fight. Prayers sent your way
Two Brothers Carbon Fiber slip-on/Gutted Cat/ Lars Airbox mod/ descreened air filter/CD Flies/16t sprocket/ T-Rex frame sliders/ fender eliminator/ intergrated taillight/ Watsen Design flush mount turn signals/ pod light mod/
FLFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #122
okaugust
Goddamn bluebird of happiness

I like good news!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #123
KYThunder

I've been following this thread and just wanted to say the last pic of you guys hugging nearly brought tears to my eyes. You guys are lucky to have each other. Been wrestling with some pretty serious health issues of my own lately but nothing quite on par with what you guys are dealing with.

Wishing her and all of your family the best and hope you will kick this thing in the ass and show it the door.
KYThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #124
motomania

Thanks for the update! Jackie sounds like an amazingly strong willed woman and you are lucky to have her!
She is lucky to have you too!
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #125
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Awesome. Continue rocking.

-T
Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #126
Barb

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been here much lately but just saw this. Hooligan, my heart goes out to you all. I want to help and I will follow how things go. My prayers go out to you and your wife. This is enough to go through but you're never alone! Hang in there.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #127
Dean Dinnetz

Just saw this post. Very sorry to hear about what is going on.
This coming August seventh, is three years since i lost my Maria to cancer.
So, i wish you and your family, all the best.
Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #128
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog View Post
Thanks for your understanding and support. Thanks to everyone who has passed on blessings and support to our family. When people you have never met show such caring it really does help.
A couple of yrs ago, I binned up the FZ with a lowside that gave me a Grade 2 seperated right shoulder and 2 cracked ribs. My buddies pulled her outta the dirt, and we did the only thing that made sense - we RODE home the 2 hrs through the twisties. That was painful. But nothing compared to this.
This is the toughest thing that I have ever had to deal with.

Again, thanks to all of your support.
Prayers go out to your family too. I can't believe how many are affected here.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #129
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
@terdog- I am with you. My wife is battling stage 4 as well.
Prayers for you and your family.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #130
Barb

OK I've read and read trying to catch up. Where's the paypal address?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #131
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Last time I posted, I mentioned that the new chemo seemed to have cleared up the problem of fluid build up around the heart and lungs. Yesterday Jackie underwent another surgery to have the drains removed from her sides, which were causing problems of their own in addition to everything else. The new chemo has side effects of it's own, but they are far easier to deal with than having to drain fluid from her body. With these drains removed, Jackie is hoping to be able to start going to the gym with me and working out. She has lost quite a bit of weight since the beginning of the year, and is determined to take advantage of this and turn a negative thing into a positive.

We are also making strides to change up how and what we eat. More fresh vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables, even less red meat than we already eat, pretty much eliminating the use of vegetable oil and substituting EVOO and coconut oil. I find myself reading the ingredients on just about everything I buy that is canned, bottled or containerized trying to find items that have the least amount of artificial ingredients and preservatives that I can. I'm starting to buy organic where feasible. But I've also learned that just because it says organic, doesn't mean it is. Rules on that are shady at best. For example, a producer can call it grain fed organic beef if it was fed grain at least 30 days before slaughter regardless of how it was raised previous to that point. But at least it's a start. This stuff can get overwhelming the more you read, so I decided to do things in little steps. And those little steps will add up eventually.

I'm also actively involving my daughters with all these changes. They are actually excited about it. I worry about them and what they may have to deal with as they get older, and the better I can teach them about nutrition now may help them down the road, and maybe even save their lives.

One other thing we are waiting on is the results from the bracket test Jackie took last week. This will tell us if the cancer is genetic or not. This of course directly impacts the lives of my daughters. If anyone would care to read more on bracket testing, you can start here: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCAd

As always, thanks go to everyone for their support in this fight. And not just support for us, but for others both on this forum and in your own personal lives as well.

Fight on!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #132
Faa Q
Cincinnasty

Good to hear...keep it up!

2016 BMW S1000XR
2009 Honda XR650L
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.
Faa Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #133
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Good to hear such a positive outlook. You are to be commended for such dedication. Your family is truly lucky to have someone with your strength of character.

HOWEVER:

It seems to me you have earned a good hard break. I EXPECT you to show up at my West Virginia rally/weekend/whatever in September. It look like most folks can make the weekend of Sept. 19-21, but the prior weekend and the whole week in between is open too. (I am retired and I can do whatever I want).

If you do not come, we will find out where you live and ride over to harass you.

(In a good natured kind of way, of course. Not like a Sicilian)

So. BE THERE!
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #134
okaugust

That sounds positive!

We buy our meat from this place:

http://www.highcountryhighlands.com/Beef.html

My suggestion is to get a freezer and find a local farmer who raises beef the way you want it, buy a quarter or a half to try it out. Technically, you are still paying a price per pound but there is no real need for them to feed lot their cattle before taking them to butcher because you are going to pay the set price for the amount you are buying.

I've been to the farm, also to the processor where I've seen them work on the animals. They have about 5-7 people working one animal at a time. I also get my pork (a whole pig or a half) from the same processor because I've seen their operation and am impressed by it.

I just put in an order for a new pig yesterday. Will need to do the same with half a beef here in about a month. The last time we bought meat was December of 2012, it lasted two of us that long.

I get my chicken from a different local butcher. They get them from Red Bird Farms, and cut a box of 22 up the way I ask. That lasts about year.

You beat inflation and have a real understanding of farm to table.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #135
hooligan998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
Good to hear such a positive outlook. You are to be commended for such dedication. Your family is truly lucky to have someone with your strength of character.

HOWEVER:

It seems to me you have earned a good hard break. I EXPECT you to show up at my West Virginia rally/weekend/whatever in September. It look like most folks can make the weekend of Sept. 19-21, but the prior weekend and the whole week in between is open too. (I am retired and I can do whatever I want).

If you do not come, we will find out where you live and ride over to harass you.

(In a good natured kind of way, of course. Not like a Sicilian)

So. BE THERE!
Tom, you have a PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #136
hooligan998

It's been almost a month since the last update, and Donnie mentioned he was curious about our situation, so I thought I would come over here and update this thread.

The last month has been a bit rough for Jackie. She has made the decision to to quit work, take a very early retirement and apply for disability. She of course has my full and complete support in this. Work takes too much out of her and she has nothing left at the end of the day. She is also starting to experience a lot pain. We've had x-ray and CT scans done, but nothing more abnormal is showing up. We have an appointment with her oncologist on Sept. 8th to discuss what is going on. It may just very well be side effects from the current chemo. We will also get the results from her last blood tests.

I must say it has been nice not working the overtime, having the weekends with Jackie and the girls, getting things done around the house. But I'm signing back up for overtime next quarter, which starts in October, but just to help get us by until Jackie's disability starts. Fortunately she has an AFLAC short term disability she can use until that starts, so that will help as well. She will also be able to draw out her 401K early as well, which will help a lot, but I'm hoping to be able to postpone drawing it out until after the first of the year for tax purposes. And because she is retiring early due to disability, we will be able to avoid the IRS' early withdraw penalty. I've been doing quite a bit of research on disability and early retirement and I don't foresee too many problems other than if we mess up the initial paperwork. We were provided a link to a local organization called LINC (Legal Information Network for Cancer) that provides free legal services for people that have cancer, and will utilize them prior to filing all of our paperwork to make sure we have all our t's dotted and i's crossed.

All I want is for this to go smooth so she can focus on her and fighting her fight and not stress out about work.

So, I ask for everyone's continued prayers and well wishes and thank you all for them as well.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #137
motomania

Make an appointment with a good CPA so you don't make avoidable IRS mis-steps. Lots of those types of mistakes are not reversible in the IRS' view and it is easiest to work with a CPA to avoid making them.

Good to hear an update! Wishing you and your family all the best!
2014 FZ-09: Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske rear shock, R1/R6 MC, SSL lines, custom tail, raised Sargeant seat, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, new mirrors with turnsignals built-in, ErMax 25cm flyscreen and ErMax radiator shrouds.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130119
motomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #138
okaugust

Hang in there!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #139
Sammax
Rest in peace Donnie

You got it brother! Thanks for the update and maybe with a little more rest for her she can make some major progress. You guys are always on my mind.
Inventory;
- 02 FZ1 (Gen 1),
- 05 Yamaha WR450
- 06 Yamaha TTR50
- 06 Kawasaki KLX 125
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #140
hooligan998

Today's doctor appointment could have went better, but was not too bad all things considered. The latest scans showed additional tumors in the T9 vertebrae and top cap of the left humerus and enlargement of other already existing bone tumors. But the bright side was that the CA 27-29 cancer markers are on the decline, and those usually preceed what the scans will show. The effusions (fluid buildup) around the lungs and heart are even less than last scan, so that is a good thing too. Overall, this particular chemo, Affinitor, seems to be working, even if the scans didn't show us all good news. The oncologist believes these new tumors were already there and we are just now seeing them.

Jackie had a teleconference with her work today and made the final decision to retire. The practice is going to do everything they can to help with that transition. They are even going to continue to pay, indefinitely, their portion of the AFLAC coverage that she would normally get if she was working. That was totally unexpected and was a real surprise. And the man responsible for that was none other than the original reason I posted this thread. He told Jackie that she has earned that right within the practice, and they are more than honored to continue that for her.

So now begins the process of applying for both short and long term disability. Jackie has a close friend with brain cancer that went on disability a couple of years ago and told Jackie not to do an online claim, but to call directly and do the interview over the phone. It puts her in touch with someone directly and can make the claim process go smoother when there is actual human interface. I'm glad that we found this out before filing the claim online like I had originally intended. The practice and the doctor's office are all on standby should any paperwork need to be filled out or documentation sent. We are getting so much support in this, it is absolutely amazing. I just hope it all goes smooth and we don't run into any snags. And as I mentioned earlier, there is LINC as well should we need any legal help.

Through this entire ordeal, Jackie has met numerous people and made many new friends. One of them heads up a local charity called the Pink Tie Gala, http://www.pinktiegala.org. This is the eighth year for this fund raiser and we were invited last year as guests by one of Jackie's friends. This year, Jackie was nominated to be one of their life dancers at the event. For the past several months, she has met with a professional dance instructor and has been learning how to do the foxtrot, which they will perform in front of the entire audience. Here is a link to her page with a short bio on it http://www.pinktiegala.org/2014jackiegreenwald.html. I can't wait to see her dance. One other great thing is that when Jackie's practice found out, it wasn't enough for the doctors to just buy tickets to attend. They became one of the major sponsors for this years event. And this years event is the biggest one yet. All proceeds stay local to the Richmond, VA area for breast cancer reasearch and support. It is run by River City Charities, http://www.rivercitycharities.com/ourmission.html.

And of course, we appreciate all the support the FZ1OA has shown us as well. I do love the fact that I know you all are out there reading this, and that alone says alot. And I love reading the comments that you leave. They are inspiring and comforting. Jackie and I are both greatful to have that support in our corner.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion