click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #21
Lassiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
My 1993, bought in 2003 and sold a couple years later:

I don't think that's a 1993 FZR1000. It looks to be an older model than that. I had an old friend with a 1993 and his didn't look like yours. His had a single headlight. The bike in your pics is older than a 1993 model. The bike you're showing is a 1990, at the latest, I'm almost positive. Plus, I'm also pretty sure that USD forks were first used in 1991. The 2 round headlights were not used in 1993.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Its a 1993 600

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #23
Lassiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Its a 1993 600
Ah, got it. Apologies. For some reason I was thinking you were describing a Fizzer 'Thou. Those FZR600s were great bikes. I'm sure that bike gave you lots of smiles per miles!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #24
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

I sold it to a girl in her early 20's as her first bike. She came with her parents to look at it, ask questions, etc. I was impressed at their thoroughness and going about it the right way. She bought it, rode on the street and did some track days with it. She used to be on another local forum (Bloke Sportbike) that I'm and had the screen name "Miss America" (for the red,white, blue bike). Don't know what's become of it. I think she is married now and may still have it?

When I sold it I bought my old 2001 FZ1.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
dan13

This was one like the one I used to have. Strange I had that bike from 1999 til 2006 and could only find 1 pic that was all faded out.

I still have it ridden any bike that was as much fun as that one. Don't get me wrong I have fun on my fz , and can definitely go longer but I do miss that bike. I almost cried when the guy rode off on it.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 AM   #26
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan13 View Post
This was one like the one I used to have. Strange I had that bike from 1999 til 2006 and could only find 1 pic that was all faded out.

I still have it ridden any bike that was as much fun as that one. Don't get me wrong I have fun on my fz , and can definitely go longer but I do miss that bike. I almost cried when the guy rode off on it.

Talking to a guy at Two Wheel of Suches weekend before last about selling bikes and he said he'd never sold one he didn't regret later. That was a good looking bike, was it a 94? Mine was and had a similar tank but different rear fairings but mine was far from original.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #27
dan13

Yes sir 94. Loved that color scheme. Those yellow wheels were a bitch to keep clean but looked good when they were.

What tires were you running?.
I used Bridgestone bt-56 on mine. They wore out quick but man you could rail the corners with them. The forks were kinda like pogo sticks though. That bike thought me how to use front and rear brakes because if you didn't apply the rear first the front end would dive terribly.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #28
_Will_

So mine had no side fairings when I got it but the tank and front were original, the ones I bought had been custom painted and when I sanded them from some rash before I painted them I discovered they were the 94 scheme, I could only laugh.

I started with the BT014 and they were nice and soft but they flat spotted so quickly and liked to float a little in Florida downpours at highway speeds. Switched to the BT016 at a 160 width and it fit but pinched some so at full lean it moved around some. Eventually settled on the BT016 with a 150/70-18 combo that it was perfect, the front end would get a little greasy after too many mountain runs in the summer but always gave warning.

Never used my my rear brake and it quickly corroded to the point that when I did hit it once, it stayed closed and I rode home a short distance with a glowing rear rotor. I grabbed a set of .90 kg/mm forks and that made a nice difference along with some thicker fork oil. I'd also either use engine braking and carry corner speed or if need be brake earlier and let it settle before dropping into a corner.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #29
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Well,
Only new bodywork I can find is from a shop in the Netherlands. Race body from an OW01. Should make for a big weight loss which is okay. Cant imagine the race seat will make for too long of a ride. Wish I could buy some cheap Chinese crap. Heck they make bodywork for the FZR 600's but not the thou.

2008 Ducati Hyper SOLD
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono SOLD

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #30
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Well,
Only new bodywork I can find is from a shop in the Netherlands. Race body from an OW01. Should make for a big weight loss which is okay. Cant imagine the race seat will make for too long of a ride. Wish I could buy some cheap Chinese crap. Heck they make bodywork for the FZR 600's but not the thou.
Odd, from a 600 standpoint we never used to be represented but you're right that it is either airtech or used and it seems eBay has lots of 88 and lots of 91+. There is some 89 but you may have to just keep am eye out for when something pops up and grab it. I got mine off Craigslist but that was more the exception than the rule, I'd either go airtech or watch eBay.

Note they say they're unfinished so depending on how handy you are, eBay may net you something more paint ready.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0001989-90.htm
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #31
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Will,

Thank you, saw that from airtech as well. Looks like the way I will go. That way I can do the "speed block" paint scheme. If you look up Morgstang, his bike is a retro with the speed block. I really like the way his bike looks. Since my wheels are already white, I know a red would just "pop" like a firecracker.
I took carbs off tonight. Amazing how I was immediately transported back in time to when I was installing and then dialing in a jet kit I put in my FZ700. Hell, that was back in 1990. Incredible how time goes so quickly by but, in a flash your taken back like that. This rebuild is gonna be good therapy!

2008 Ducati Hyper SOLD

Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #32
dan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post

I started with the BT014 and they were nice and soft but they flat spotted so quickly and liked to float a little in Florida downpours at highway speeds. Switched to the BT016 at a 160 width and it fit but pinched some so at full lean it moved around some. Eventually settled on the BT016 with a 150/70-18 combo that it was perfect, the front end would get a little greasy after too many mountain runs in the summer but always gave warning.
Yeah I used the 150 also. I didn't ever try the160 because I figured it would rub the brake arm. Wasn't much clearance with the 150.

Man all this fzr talk is gonna have me looking for another one.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #33
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Quote:
Man all this fzr talk is gonna have me looking for another one.

Only took me two posts to the thread and I jumped.......................

There's a few on fleabay and 2 on my local craigs if your interested. Maybe we can get a gaggle to revive and start having shindigs with only FZR's.

2008 Ducati Hyper SOLD

Old 11-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #34
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Started taking measurements of forks and swingarm. Seems I may be able to sneak some FZ1 parts onto the 1k. Modern suspension and brakes for the '89.
Then I got to thinking about the motor.....................................

................................uh oh................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........... "Honey, he's doin it again!"

2008 Ducati Hyper SOLD

Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #35
_Will_

Quote:
Started taking measurements of forks and swingarm. Seems I may be able to sneak some FZ1 parts onto the 1k. Modern suspension and brakes for the '89.

................................uh oh................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........... "Honey, he's doin it again!"
Most of the improvements to bikes since the early 90's have been on ease of riding and a focus on weight that doesn't always translate to us mortals. I say go for it, the fzr600 guys do the R6 rear shock and before that a few modified a hayabusa rear shock.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #36
dan13

Will
Is there a fzr forum still active? I used to frequent the fzrarchives back in the late 90's early 2000's. Last time I visited the site it was covered with spam. Seems Mike had moved on to a haybusa and neglected the site and refused to turn it over to anyone else.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #37
_Will_

Quote:
Will
Is there a fzr forum still active? I used to frequent the fzrarchives back in the late 90's early 2000's. Last time I visited the site it was covered with spam. Seems Mike had moved on to a haybusa and neglected the site and refused to turn it over to anyone else.
Last I heard the archives finally called it quits, went down again and somebody mentioned being refunded. FZR online is still somewhat active, currently seems to be changing members but some of the originals still lurk around. Still a ton of good info too.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #38
curvecrazy

Quote:

So what did you end up doing with this bike? I've been trying to replace my 01 FZ1 and every one is neglected or ridiculous ask prices!!! I've been thinking possibly going FZR1000 EXUP 1991-1993 with race tech front forks, ohlins shock and maybe a 1040 big bore kit?
So I'm dead curious if anyone on here's familiar with both FZ1 and FZR to compare power delivery, handling and reliability? In terms of stats, the FZR is about 25 lbs heavier than the FZ1. Length is about the same with FZR having slightly more rake and trail. FZR has more hp and torque by a bit and 1040 kit should make it even better. Both bikes take 120/180 tire combos. Obviously we have an odd comparison here. FZ1 is low tech steel flex frame and she wallows her way through corners albeit pretty quickly with expert rider. FZR is aluminum frame and probably stiffer. The FZR1000's were known for their high speed stability and lack of ground clearance. FZ1 doesn't have great ground clearance either. I assume FZ1 is more reliable... mines hitting on 100K miles.

My gut sense is that the FZR probably out handles the FZ1.... Assuming equal suspension of course. How fun would it be smoking people on state of the art sports bikes on early 90's FZR?? I think big fun.

So anyone have direct experience with these two bikes? What is your riding ability and experience level at trackdays etc?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #39
curvecrazy

Well, this link and some current owners are answering some of my questions...

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/show.../vol07/02.html
Old 07-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #40
curvecrazy

Nobody has experience with both FZR1000 EXUP and Gen 1 FZ1?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum