click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
isleoman

Testing the Waters

Water's fine, think I'll keep riding.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
oldjeep

Wow - any major engine work done? Is that KM or Miles?
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
isleoman

Those are miles. 150K on first engine, 100K on this engine. No major work to either.

Changed out first motor when I stumbled upon a 3K mile $450 replacement and figured it was cheaper than a valve adjustment.

When the first motor got close to 100K I worried my Gen 1 days would be winding down, so I bought a 6K mile spare Gen 1. Spare is still sitting there.

The bike still looks great, going for a ride today (no really)...will try to get a couple pics.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
halouis

whoa! amazing!! you and FZ1girl (Denise) pushing the limits. I'm at 83k, got plenty of life.

'03 FZ1 "Lisbeth"
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Definitely impressive. Much oil use on either engine?
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
Those are miles. 150K on first engine, 100K on this engine. No major work to either.

Changed out first motor when I stumbled upon a 3K mile $450 replacement and figured it was cheaper than a valve adjustment.

When the first motor got close to 100K I worried my Gen 1 days would be winding down, so I bought a 6K mile spare Gen 1. Spare is still sitting there.

The bike still looks great, going for a ride today (no really)...will try to get a couple pics.
Out of curiosity, how often have you had valve adjustments? I'm considering bringing mine in eventually - no idea when the last time it was done if ever and after watching a video on how to do it there is no way I'm doing it myself ;) Mine has just under 63K on it

Last edited by oldjeep; 07-24-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
grommet
kinetic mentality

250K is impressive. You must love that bike.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Definitely impressive. Much oil use on either engine?
Both engines use(d) about a qt. every 3000 miles after they reached 75K. The current engine used very little oil this spring when temps were cool. Neither ever smoked.

The last few 95 plus days have increased the usage but if you follow any oil problem threads with modern cars, the mfrs almost all say a qt every 3000 is within limits. Current engine is whisper quite and still lifts the front when directed.

I'm a big fan of Yamaha silver engine paint. It holds up well.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Out of curiosity, how often have you had valve adjustments? I'm considering bringing mine in eventually - no idea when the last time it was done if ever and after watching a video on how to do it there is no way I'm doing it myself ;) Mine has just under 63K on it
This is a case of don't do what I've done with respect to valve adjustments but I'll tell you where I'm at, first let me put my tin foil hat on and make sure the kids are in bed.

I didn't have the valves checked till 75K on the first engine. All valves were in spec so it only cost me $325. If they had to remove the cams and replace shims it was going to be $425.

Never looked at the valves in the first engine again over the next 75K. Found a $450 replacement engine with low miles. I've never looked at the valves in the second engine over the last 100K miles.

Please Please Don't do this.

So why am I doing this? Just for the cheap a$$ economics. I would have spent $1600 on valve adjustments on the second motor not to mention down time. Add in the three I skipped on the first engine and its $2800.

I could learn to do them myself but I probably won't. The Yamaha dealer doesn't want to work on them. I have a spare Gen 1 with 6K miles on it if something bad happens.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
250K is impressive. You must love that bike.
Thanks, Just thinking about the relationship on today's 225 mile ride. More like were one with each other.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
fz1grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by halouis View Post
whoa! amazing!! you and FZ1girl (Denise) pushing the limits. I'm at 83k, got plenty of life.
Yeah but mines the original engine not a replacement and it's now at 277,109 miles and still going.

200,000 Mile Club
fz1grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:34 AM   #12
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
I had two valves almost at the limit at 25k and then 3 valves out of limits at 45k.

It depends how the bikes riden as well.

But I wouldn't put it off.

Its a lot easier to shim valves than it is to pull an engine
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #13
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
I had two valves almost at the limit at 25k and then 3 valves out of limits at 45k.

It depends how the bikes riden as well.

But I wouldn't put it off.

Its a lot easier to shim valves than it is to pull an engine
Agree changing shims is a little easier than changing engines, however how much performance benefit do you get from a $450 valve adjustment when compared to replacing a 150K mile motor with a $450 3K mile motor?

Again my lack of due diligence should not be emulated. The rock bottom value of used Gen 1s makes paying someone to do your valves a more difficult situation. One of the resons I don't own a sophisticated Euro bike that requires more frequent "neglect".
Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #14
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1grl View Post
Yeah but mines the original engine not a replacement and it's now at 277,109 miles and still going.

Your throne is secure Madam. Once you change your motor your out of the running for the history books. Has Yamaha contacted you yet to buy it back?

So how many valve changes have you done? You should have just finished number 11. That's $4400, which would have bought two used Gen 1s.

Good thing were not talking Ducatis or BMW you could have bought a small car with the valve adjustment savings.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
fermic37

Checking your valves is super Easy. Especially with how many step by step tutorials are on this forum

And not so much about performance as it is valve damage leaving you stranded far from
Home.

Not sure where you’re finding working low mileage engines for $450.. Buy yet that’s what your mechanic is charging for valve checks??

How much is it costing you to throw new engines in the bikes?
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
oldjeep

Quote:
Checking your valves is super Easy. Especially with how many step by step tutorials are on this forum

And not so much about performance as it is valve damage leaving you stranded far from
Home.

Not sure where you’re finding working low mileage engines for $450.. Buy yet that’s what your mechanic is charging for valve checks??

Couple thoughts here
Super easy? This is the tutorial I watched - and his step 2 and 3 videos. Looks like a nightmare even with the engine out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3My_Iw8Wc

Removing an engine seems really simple in comparison ;)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #17
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I'd rather check the valves on my FZ1 than pull the engine out of one of my small/simple/light 2 stroke bikes, ymmv.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #18
isleoman

Quote:

Home.

Bought my current motor on this site in late 2014. Took two days of slow methodical effort to change it. What's the chances of that deal coming around twice, well I almost bought a third Gen 1 complete with 9000 miles for $900, last week till someone beat me to it.

Gen 1 economics are upside down. I've already won my bet, the question is how much further can I go.

What are they charging at the local dealers around you for valve changes on Genesis engines? I'm at 250K miles and never broke down once, although I've just jinxed myself.

I've been a member on this site since 2001 and if you do a search for burnt valves you'll find only one or two related to a Gen 2.

Again fermic37 I'm not being facetious, you're totally right.

Seriously everyone please follow all mfr guidelines.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
halouis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1grl View Post
whoa!!! closing in on 300k!! one engine! amazing...

'03 FZ1 "Lisbeth"
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
old77zrider

If you know it was done at least once by the previous owner then I wouldn't bother.
If I didn't know it was done I would check it myself. Im a cheap SOB. I have to put in a lot of hours at work to make 450 bucks (600+before taxes)!

The PO of my bike was meticulous with proper factory maintenance. My bike has 120k miles of which I did 108K with no valve checks. I don't beat the pants off the bike and believe it was broken in well. I don't think Ive ever gone over 10k rpm and it rarely sees 8k.
IMO- I wouldn't bother and I certainly would not pay to have a dealer check them.

If you blow past the redline periodically and it was a low mileage bike I would check the clearances. On a bike with some mileage.....I probably wouldn't. Old school thought was that the valve seats would become work hardened over time and the clearances change less and less if at all.

As a rookie rider (on my new KZ1000), accelerating as hard as I could from a stop light I found the space between 1st and 2nd and bounce the tach. I checked the valve clearances and they were still fine. ??? Go figure?

Last edited by old77zrider; 07-25-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Thought Oldjeep was asking. Deleted fouled plug comment.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion