click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
okrider

Having trouble with my 2010 R6

Hi all, I have a 2010 R6R with 16.5k miles that I recently purchased. Full Yoshi exhaust was on it when I bought it, I removed the PCV and installed BMC Race air filter, and Bauce Racing ECU flash. I went out for a ride last night and noticed something weird.

When riding down the street from a stop in first, the bike launches forward at 7k rpm even though I'm giving steady throttle. Literally launches forward as if I pinned the throttle.

The only issue I can think of is a frayed ECU cable from where the power commander spliced into the ECU. Going to cut and solder that tonight to see if it helps.

I'm looking for other ideas in case this doesn't work. The bike idles well, has great power above 7k rpm. Takes off from a stop great. Runs fine until 7k and launches at 7k.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
grommet
kinetic mentality

It has a 7k stall converter.

That's all I got.

But no, really, I suspect something with that cable you mentioned.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
_Will_

Fix the cable and if it continues start the process of elimination of something you touched to do your recent work. TPS? MAF sensor? I rarely hear of an issue with a flash but fueling could be it, I'd rule out the others first. Who knows what that wire services, but it is there for a reason.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
okrider

I haven't touched either of those and I don't know that it didn't do this before I bought this bike. I immediately tore into it as soon as I got it.

Just fixed the cable. Going to go for a ride soon to see if there's any improvement.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Following
Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
okrider

I fixed the ECU wire, it felt a little better, but still felt a little off at that same rpm. But I'm starting to think it has to do with my throttle hand than anything else. I checked the throttle position sensors in diagnostic mode to see what they show, if there was a jump in the digits it showed, that would've explained my problem. I have to ride it a bit more before I can make up my mind. Might try to throw some new spark plugs in there to see if that would make it any better. Doubt it's ever been changed

I also checked the header nuts and they looked like they weren't tight enough so tightened them a bit more, going easy with an impact. I checked it because I knew it was the same shop that installed it that put the body work on which had almost all bolts loose and a bunch of corners cut. Sure enough, the hardest to get to nuts had the most to go.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
okrider

Put some seafoam in the tank this morning and rode to work. No difference. Still super slow around 5-7k rpm and unleashes after 7500.

Further research online points to a coil problem. My R6 parts guy (I got a guy now somehow) was going to send me some parts today, asked him to include a set of coils in there. Once I get home, going to do the spray bottle test on the headers to see if I can spot a bad cylinder. If not, going to swap out everything and see if there's any improvement.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
livetoride33

I had an 09, didn't seem to ever feel like it made power below 8500rpm. I did sprockets and that helped, but the feel isn't even close to the FZ1.

The stock 09 had an exup as well, although it sounds like yours is gone with the full system...just a thought,
livetoride33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
okrider

Coils will be in today. Removed the gas tank yesterday in preparation for the coil & plug replacement. Should be able to do it today.

No power at a certain rpm followed by all the power just after definitely sounds like a coil. That's how my FZ1 acted when the coil went out, but it would start struggling at idle which is why it wasn't my first idea.

Unrelated but I fixed the license plate light. The shop that "serviced" the bike hooked up the positive to negative and negative to positive. They didn't bother to check if the light lit up. Couple minutes of soldering later, I have a license plate light. This is one of many things they did wrong. It's impressive this shop has such high reviews on Google and Facebook considering how much of their work I had to redo.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
old77zrider

I never would have thought a coil problem could be rpm dependent. Other than failing when it gets hot I thought it works or it doesn't but you apparently proved that wrong with your past experience. Hopefully that solves your problem again.
My first thought would have been improper fuel mapping in the mid range but like modern cars I know very little about modern fuel injected motorcycles. Add in the traction control interaction and things get really crazy.
Im too lazy (or old maybe) to learn new technology so Ill keep my plain old brake systems and G1 carbonators.

Last edited by old77zrider; 08-21-2019 at 08:36 AM.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
I never would have thought a coil problem could be rpm dependent.
On the FZ1 when the coil goes out, it starts misfiring until 3k rpm, after which it starts firing again. Which is kind of what's going on with the R6 even though it doesn't really sound like it's misfiring. But there's a definite loss of power.

If it was fuel, it'd be an issue at high rpms so I don't think it's a fuel delivery issue since it works great at 8k+ rpms. Air filter is brand new so I don't think it's that either
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
On the FZ1 when the coil goes out, it starts misfiring until 3k rpm, after which it starts firing again. Which is kind of what's going on with the R6 even though it doesn't really sound like it's misfiring. But there's a definite loss of power.

If it was fuel, it'd be an issue at high rpms so I don't think it's a fuel delivery issue since it works great at 8k+ rpms. Air filter is brand new so I don't think it's that either
Go pay Huey to look at it. It's worth the $$ to drop it off and pick it up running perfect.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
okrider

If the coils & plugs don't fix it, I may consider it. I'm not big on having others work on my stuff
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #14
Wonger

I here ya with dealer techs and big shops, but he is a guy people have grown to trust. He's built some gorgeous track bikes, and he's kept lots of 'well worn-in' track bikes moving along nicely. His suspension re-valves and engine tuning is as good as anyone's. I don't like parting with my monetary units as much as anyone, but you'll likely need the suspension set up anyway... I'll never trust a bike seller I don't know on their suspension service schedule, unless I see the receipts. Even then, If they aren't using the correct tools, its easy to round things off, scratch the inner components and shorten the service life. The dude is good...

I hope the coils are your culprit. Keep an eye on your voltage as well. Stator/battery could be in sorts of odd shape. Especially on a track bike.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #15
jared p
^ guy

Have you verified which cylinder/s isn't/aren't firing? After that, swap the coils, see if the problem follows the coil to the other cylinder.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
okrider

No I didn't try to figure out which one it is. I just put 4 used coils in there. Haven't had a chance to test ride just yet. I'll inspect the spark plugs tonight and go from there.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
jared p
^ guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
No I didn't try to figure out which one it is. I just put 4 used coils in there. Haven't had a chance to test ride just yet. I'll inspect the spark plugs tonight and go from there.
If you don't have an IR thermometer to test which cylinder is colder than others and not firing, you can put a drop of oil or water on the header pipes, turn the bike on and let it run for 10-15 seconds and watch and see which ones don't burn off as quick as the others, that one is the cold one. swap packs, see if it follows the pack. remember to clean connections and check for corrosion or water and apply dielectric grease to all connections.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #18
okrider

thanks
Old 08-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #19
okrider

ok finally did a test ride this morning. It seems that the issue is not gone but has moved up in the rpm range. It now hesitates momentarily at 8500-9k rpm. this happens when I'm trying to feather the throttle and not trying to pin it.

I'd blame the TPS but I went in the diagnostic mode and held the throttle open at various spots to see if the TPS reading will change(flicker etc) and it didn't change one bit. I cleared all the codes on the bike last night, I just checked and there's no codes on it. No check engine light. Smooth idle still.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #20
okrider

UPDATE: After finding a thread where someone was having similar issues to mine and it turned out to be a fuel connector not all the way in, I decided to check the fuel line on mine to see if it kinked while I was putting the tank down. It has this plastic bit that prevents it from kinking which the FZ1 definitely should come with but doesn't for some reason.

Pulled the tank up, fuel line was fine, figured I'd push on the connectors just to be safe and the connector on the gas tank end (the one I have been removing to remove the gas tank) clicked! I swear I clicked it last time I installed it, so I tried pulling on it and it simply came off. Normally you have to pinch the tabs on the sides and it's a real pain. But this just came out no problem which I think explains the issue I've been having.

Just as I was about to go to the auto parts store to see if they sell a similar connector to replace mine, I received an email from the guy that did the ECU flash. I'd been emailing him about the issue to see if he's seen it before. He said that he got a bike in on the dyno today with the same exhaust etc setup as mine (which I didn't believe.. still don't really believe) and that he's seen the hesitation I was talking about at a similar rpm so he asked me to send the ECU back. Well, why didn't he put the correct tune to begin with? I don't know. Is he making this up so I don't message complain about him on the r6 forum and that he's going to bump up the map a little bit in the rpms I'm having trouble with? I don't know. But my ECU is going to be on the way to his place tomorrow. Is there really a bike with the same exhaust as mine at his dyno, the day I emailed him about this issue? I don't know. He's also going to give me a new fuel line to replace mine, which is nice of him.

But hopefully this problem will be over mid next week

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion