register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Dean Dinnetz

Anybody run a double bubble windscreen on your gen.1, FZ1

Hey gang:

Looking for a new windscreen for my new to me, 2001 FZ1. Running the o.e.m. screen, but wondering if the d.b. screen would be a improvement. Any experience with a d.b. screen, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

P.S. I am 6'2" tall.
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
bradd
Working away

I run one, but I'm only 5'8", I think it is better than stock. I had the Yamaha touring screen too and I like it better than that as well. Better wind coverage and less buffeting than stock.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
jointbeaker

Hey Dean. We're the same height, and I did NOT care for the DB screen. It took the air that used to hit me in the chest, and placed it right about helmet level. I got a LOT of helmet turbulence with it.

I thought it was the best looking full size screen, but was not friendly for anything other than around town riding. Do-able for short runs on country roads, but if you had to slab it anywhere, it was awful.

Out of all of the screens, I didn't mind the Yamaha touring screen, the MRA-Vario, and a cut down stock....and those are the only ones I've kept. I'd probably be ok with keeping the cut stocker, and either one of the others...
jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 AM   #4
fermic37

im 5' 10" and i greatly disliked it on my gen1. I felt the stock one was the best.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
boyitgobob

Similar turbulent results as above. I'm planning to try it as a base for madstadd type double windshield for touring.
boyitgobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

I can tell you on my Aprilia Tuono it made a world of difference. Have yet to try one on the Gen2..............
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’ve got a regular ZG smoked screen on the gen 2, works great for me, but I’m short, 5’8. Haven’t tried a double bubble yet.

But sounds like you’re in the gray area of windscreens. Either a cut down screen to get clean air to the helmet. Or a madstad type or tall touring.

I’ve thought about adding a small universal duckbill trunk spoiler to the windscreen, but I don’t have any issue with head buffeting on the highway even past 90mph, unless I’m behind traffic or 18 wheelers.

Universal spoiler: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1-3...EAAOSwFSxaAfke
Something like that would probably help to kick the wind up and over your helmet.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

^ Yeah, what is really needed is an OEM-sized screen with a built-in laminar lip. The OEM screen actually works pretty good for me as well, I'm 5'-9". I'm used to slamming into the wind with the Street Triple, so the FZ's screen was a huge improvement in that area.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
The DB didn't do it for me either. I bought a cheap screen off of eBay and cut it way down...less than a flyswatter. I don't feel like I get hit with any more air, and none hits me right in the face like most regular sized screens do. The Yamaha touring screen might be nice, but it looks out of place on the Fizzy.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I'm just over 6', and in winter I use a 21" Rifle. Sitting upright, there's significant turbulence around my helmet, so for any distance riding I lean down behind it or just use the MRA Vario. The tall Rifle does keep alot of cold air off my torso, and very effectively helps me retain heat. Ugly, but functional in that purpose.

The MRA doesn't really do anything for me as far as wind protection, other than look cool and if riding at night in warmer months, I flip the "deflector" in the up position, lean down a bit, and it does help keep some bugs off my visor.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
rdcusmc

No bueno on DB. Similar comments on other screens. For most of my riding I use the Yamaha Touring and have thought of adding the MRA flip to it. I may make my own. When I finish the engine mods and get all of that settled and final, I still plan to grab a grad engineering student to do some fluid analysis on the turbulent cockpit and see if a new cowl and windscreen would help. I'm thinking to print a new cowl and screen in 3D that would attach to existing mounting hard points so easy swap. I've played around with taped up cardboard to reshape the fairing and think there is improvement enough to take the next step and do something based on hard evidence. I don't mind wind. I mind turbulence.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, ignition advancer, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod, Cometic thin head gasket.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd View Post
I run one, but I'm only 5'8", I think it is better than stock. I had the Yamaha touring screen too and I like it better than that as well. Better wind coverage and less buffeting than stock.
I have a Puig (double bubble) and I have also tried the stock and the Yamaha touring. I am 5'11" and the difference between the 3 is not worth writing home about. I keep the db because it is blue and looks cool as heck

Disclaimer: my goal was to reduce wind noise. In that regard, the difference is not appreciable. With regard to wind pressure on the upper torso and the helmet, the stock windshield definitely offers less protection, but there is not much difference between the Yamaha touring and the Puig.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
Dean Dinnetz

Thanks for all the input, gang.

At my height, looks like a double bubble windscreen, would not be a good idea.

I think for the time being, i will just leave the o.e.m. windscreen in place.

Thanks again, and all the best to you all.

Dean
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
bicklebok

My brother tried just about every windscreen that would fit on an FZ. I have tried a few myself. Personally, I like the MRA Vario the best.

Identical twin brother of the late forum member Sammax
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Thanks for all the input, gang.
Have you ever tried a cut down stock screen Dean?

I'm sure you've heard this multiple times already, but even with having 'more' air with a cut down stock screen, in my opinion it's by far the best feeling air during a ride. Around town, back country roads, or even slabbing...it's pretty much what I prefer.
jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

I'm 6'2 and found no screen good on the gen 1. Being this tall it's a part of bike life. All though I didn't try the 2ft tall bay window on it.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
Have you ever tried a cut down stock screen Dean?

I'm sure you've heard this multiple times already, but even with having 'more' air with a cut down stock screen, in my opinion it's by far the best feeling air during a ride. Around town, back country roads, or even slabbing...it's pretty much what I prefer.

Yes, i did try a cut down o.e.m. windscreen, many years ago. I liked the look of it on the fairing, but it just did not work for me.

Dean
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
bmidd
Trader of motorcycles...

No to the DB. I'm 6'3" and I had the most luck with the ZG Sport Touring screen.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion