click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Dean Dinnetz

Mac. Book Pro situation

Hey gang:

My model A1286 M.B.P. has been doing a strange thing for about six months now.

I go to retrieve my daily e-mails and most of time, the computer will just stop running, after about thirty seconds. I guess its called crashing. I hit the bar at the bottom of the laptop, then press a key on the key board, and the computer comes back to life in about thirty seconds or so. It just happens once per use, even if i use the device for an hour or so.

So, any ideas as to what is going on here? The device is nine years old, so i suppose it is a dinosaur, but other than the crashing, the thing seems to work fairly well. Sometimes a bit slow, but at almost 75 years of age, so am i! lol!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Bill A
¡dn ,uıʞool sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

Mine had a similar symptom and it required a new logic board (which I think replaces every component except the display and HD--but I m not certain about that).

I hope in your case it is nothing serious. But I would recommend that you ensure you have a current back of the HD.

Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
arkie6

We had an old Dell laptop that was shutting down and doing some strange stuff and it turned out to be the screened air filter inlet to the fan was clogged with lint and microprocessor was overheating. Once I cleaned that filter/screen, it started working normally. Now that screen is deep inside the unit and is part of the fan assembly, not on the outside of the case, so I had to disassemble the laptop to get to it. There were numerous youtube videos available covering the subject. You might search youtube for the symptoms you are having and see what pops up.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
regder

Are you still using the original spinning disk hard drive? I have had all sorts of weird issues when a hard drive starts failing.

Google for a program to test the hard drive and go from there.

A replacement SSD, if you haven't done it already, is dirt cheap and makes a night and day difference in performance.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Dean Dinnetz

Thanks for all the ideas, gang.

See what i can do.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
old77zrider

Back up all of your files before it totally crashes and its too late to save them. I bought an external Solid State Drive (SSD) when I started having problems just to be sure I didn't loose a ton of manuals, photos and documents. I don't back up anything to "the cloud".
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

I'm not an Apple guy, so I don't know what works with what, but I can tell you using the free software from www.macrium.com/reflectfree I was able to clone the system drive on 4 different computers and upgrade them to SSD's. The difference is night and day speed wise. Good luck!
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry