register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

NOT the latest but the LAST

Issue of Sport Rider. I found Kunitsugu a decent writer. Often writing clearly and concisely about what bike he would happen to be riding. Contributors Gold & Goose kept it interesting as well. Sometimes it was just a regurgitation of Motorcyclist but otherwise okay. Kinda wish they'd stick around but, I guess this means I'll have more time to peruse Roadracing World.

Farewell SR...........
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Torchsport
Horsepower Whisperer

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...ht=Sport+Rider
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
bradd
Working away

Finished reading my issue last night. I like Kunitsugu and liked the magazine. The most telling thing to me in them rehashing old stories and the history of the magazine is how far the sport bike world has fallen. The magazine existed from my college days to my middle age and my kids learning to ride. I've stayed in it and encouraged my kids, I think that is rare. The AMA was so huge in the 90's, lots of teams, lots of corporate money, everybody wanted a sport bike.
Now that the people who drove that industry are 40+ they have either written off bikes all together, or ride 5 miles a weekend on a Harley. It seemed sad looking at all those stories and going "yeah I remember the Mr Turbo kit on the CBR 900RR" And "They got a Turbo ZX-11 to go 230mph"
Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Map Maven

These days, it seems the only MC segment, other than Cruisers, that is has a pulse is ADV. Sport bikes are seemingly dead. Too bad as the current crop is awesome, but I have to admit, I have no interest in them anymore. My next bike will probably be an ADV. Such a crowd follower

Speaking of ADVs, some uppity BMW dude pulled what a I considered a rude pass on me last weekend - kinda stuffed it right in there just prior to a corner. I was cruising at my usual 10 to 15 over. BMW guy had a lot of FZ1 in his mirrors after that for a few miles. He was a decent rider with good smooth cornering lines, I was his equal there and had so much horsepower on him, it was not even funny. I could hear his bike winding out and just ran up his butt. He turned off after awhile. Childish, but fun, no harm done. People tend to underestimate our bikes. It is fun to remind them once in awhile...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I'm just glad I didn't renew, would have gotten the shaft.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post

Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
isleoman

I use to love bike magazines. Especially in the winter. The UK mags like Bike were/are excellent.

I had a collection of hundreds of old magazines stacked up in my cellar and realized I probably could have bought a new bike for all the money I laid down.

The wife threw away most of them when I was away on travel. I'm still trying to decide what she prizes that will go missing (not really).

Ezines fill my needs these days for zero$, hopefully some good ones will continue to survive but it has got to be hard to monetize free.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Oh the bike mags I had in boxes for years!!! Dumped all of the ages ago.

And yah. The British mags were the bomb. Performance Bike was so off the rails compared to US mags. I think it was $8 at the local magazine shop.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Fitty
Let's Ride!

After getting a mail subscription to BIKE (UK) several years ago as a present, I've been getting it on my tablet since. Great read for a decent price. I may be getting it free for all I know, because that card expired and I never got a notice for the updated expiration date and security code. Haven't noticed it on my monthly bill, but I could have missed it.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
Rabeet
Administrator

I remember when motorcycle.com was new. The people that ran it were fun.

Didn't keep up with it though and have no idea what became of it.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #11
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

[quote=Duken4evr;2729738]These days, it seems the only MC segment, other than Cruisers, that is has a pulse is ADV. Sport bikes are seemingly dead. Too bad as the current crop is awesome, but I have to admit, I have no interest in them anymore. My next bike will probably be an ADV. Such a crowd follower

The naked bikes also seem to be picking up as well. The trouble with full on sport bikes is that they got too dedicated, and just not well suited to the street. The nakeds offer about 95% of what the sport bikes offer, with enough comfort to not kill you during the daily commute, or even tour on. I should also note that there appears to be signs of a sport touring war starting. KTM brought out the Super Duke GT. Kawasaki is teasing a supercharged sport tourer, and Yamaha has the rumored Tracer GT out there yet to be seen. So I wouldn't count the other segments out yet.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I'm just glad I didn't renew, would have gotten the shaft.
That would be the end of your wheelie days!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Duken4evr
Map Maven

[quote=mattg;2729833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
These days, it seems the only MC segment, other than Cruisers, that is has a pulse is ADV. Sport bikes are seemingly dead. Too bad as the current crop is awesome, but I have to admit, I have no interest in them anymore. My next bike will probably be an ADV. Such a crowd follower

The naked bikes also seem to be picking up as well. The trouble with full on sport bikes is that they got too dedicated, and just not well suited to the street. The nakeds offer about 95% of what the sport bikes offer, with enough comfort to not kill you during the daily commute, or even tour on. I should also note that there appears to be signs of a sport touring war starting. KTM brought out the Super Duke GT. Kawasaki is teasing a supercharged sport tourer, and Yamaha has the rumored Tracer GT out there yet to be seen. So I wouldn't count the other segments out yet.
Agree. I have never had so much interest in my FZ1 at the bike hangouts before. I always tell them the same thing. It is cheap, with the mods in place, it has just shy of 150 at the wheel, it handles well, it is comfy, and it is indestructible. The FZ1 is the perfect motorcycle

Would love to have a big Super Duke, but that would only land me behind bars. It is hard enough to behave on the FZ1

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion