register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
didier9

Is it the same issue on the 1st gen?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Ouch, nasty. Metal gnashing around the private areas with pictures. Sounds like you have a plan, good luck B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Boot that sounds wierd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
Like a girl with braces..
He does have a beautiful way with words

Girls with braces is a fetish for some
Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
Is it the same issue on the 1st gen?
No. Different design, different part number rotor. Never heard of any Gen 1 rotor magnets coming apart.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #24
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
Do you guys think the stator should be changed also even though it is still good?
No. It is the disintegrating rotor that damages the stator. If you replace the rotor with the new design before the old one comes apart, there should be no reason to replace the stator.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
barryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
No. It is the disintegrating rotor that damages the stator. If you replace the rotor with the new design before the old one comes apart, there should be no reason to replace the stator.

Thanks Arkie, that's what I thought just want to be sure.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #26
barryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
He does have a beautiful way with words

Girls with braces is a fetish for some
I can't understand that one and don't want too...
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #27
bmidd
Trader of motorcycles...

Update for you all, I picked the bike up from PJ and Corey Beth last Friday and put about 325 miles on the bike this past weekend. All is good and bike is running great. I'll change the oil this week and probably change it every 500 or so miles for the next few weeks to make sure there is no metal in the oil pan.
In case you were wondering, this job will cost you ~1100 if you wait for it to fail and less than $500 if you do it as preventative maintenance. Remember it is not if it will happen, but when it will happen. When I get the bike cleaned up this weekend I'll post some pictures of the Bitubo steering damper that stumbled onto my bike while in the shop for the Rotorpocalypse.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #28
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

I think I'm scared enough to upgrade the rotor just to be safe, once I get a few other financial things straightened up. But I'm curious how many actual Rotor failures have occurred compared to the number of actual FZ1s? I mean, is it like 1/100 or 99/100? Inquiring minds want to know, even if they will probably do the upgrade anyway.
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #29
bmidd
Trader of motorcycles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
I think I'm scared enough to upgrade the rotor just to be safe, once I get a few other financial things straightened up. But I'm curious how many actual Rotor failures have occurred compared to the number of actual FZ1s? I mean, is it like 1/100 or 99/100? Inquiring minds want to know, even if they will probably do the upgrade anyway.
Not sure, as with most forums, you only hear about the worst problems. I knew it was a problem before I got the bike and knew it was a problem with R1s too, you just don't expect it to happen to you. There seems to be no clear set pattern as to when it happens either, except for age of the bike. I think as these bikes age the probability gets higher it could happen to you. Have read about bikes with a quarter of the miles having the same problem. Had this not happened, I can't say for sure I would have even pulled the cover and checked my rotor. I can now say without hesitating that you should buy the gasket, pull the cover off and inspect the rotor. Less than $20 for some piece of mind? Even then, there always seems to be a case where someone checked theirs and it failed later.
We'll never know for sure how many people it happens to though, not everyone uses forums like we do. I've met over a dozen other people just out riding on FZ1s and not one of them has been on the forums. I will tell you this, when I called my favorite Yammy dealer and explained the problem, he told me it's a known problem that has gone on for years and they've fixed lots of them on R1s. On another note, he couldn't come within $100 of what Yamaha of Cucamonga in selling the Stator or Rotor for, he was shocked they sell it so cheap. He quoted me $296 for the stator and $500 for the rotor, and that was the we like Brian price too.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #30
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

That was good stuff thanks. So if I pull the cover off, how do I inspect the rotor for signs of impending doom. What kind of things should I look for? Are there obvious signs? If everything looks good how often should I pull the cover and inspect? Add infinitum? I think I answered my own question just to upgrade to the new part, dummy!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues