register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #21
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown Chris View Post
imho you will eventually see a lawsuit with apple. I think their software is designed to slow older devices on purpose.

If I've installed barely and apps and my device has remained relatively unchanged since purchase, why would it now be slow as piss doing simple tasks? (like browsing the internet) it was quick as hell when I purchased it, barely anything has been added to it, yet it's been software updated 5 times, and each time it's gotten slower. why?

as for the newest update, everyone I know that has updated their devices HATE it. I'll hold off. I can't take another level of slowness right now...

You dont "have" to perform the update. Your phone will work just fine if it was never updated. My mother hasnt even attempted to update her 4s in years. And Apple will actually not allow the newer updates on their older phones. I kept my 4 as a backup and i would always sync and update it every few months. A few years ago it wouldnt let me update it anymore.

Thats kind of like saying you should be able to install windows XP on a computer that used to run 98.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I thought they always offered the latest version. No?
They do. Can only speculate why he hasn't received it since other 6P users have posted on forums that they got the OTA update. As I said they could have identified an issue and decided to halt release to that model only while fixing etc.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #23
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Ah, I gotcha.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
okrider

My service provider is Google (Project Fi) so I'll download it when Google thinks I'm ready.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
'78 Honda CB400T Hawk: Kickstart only, front and rear drum brakes, leaky head gasket
'05 VStar 1100: Flip bike
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #25
didier9

My iPad got an update to iOS 11.0.1 and that seems to have helped a good bit with the keyboard. Still quite a bit slower than with iOS 10 but not as frustrating. I still do not like the new keyboard with the sliding motion. Not for me and it doesn't look like I can turn that off (the Apple way or the highway).
This message is sent using my Lenovo tablet. For now, it seems to be considerably better for my blood pressure I also like that the speakers are stereo (right channel on the right and left channel on the left, what a concept) and front facing.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #26
fermic37

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-io...-it-1818670860

You can turn off almost all if the new features on most updates. I have them all turned off on mine, with just a simple key board.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #27
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Is there a way to set the phone or ipad to not update? From what I remember, after quite a few "reminders", the ipad will automatically update.
Neanderthal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #28
Newtown Chris

i know it has you eventually put your screen lock passkey in to do the update at night. On the bottom of the screen it lets you opt out however...
Newtown Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #29
Newtown Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
You dont "have" to perform the update. Your phone will work just fine if it was never updated. My mother hasnt even attempted to update her 4s in years. And Apple will actually not allow the newer updates on their older phones. I kept my 4 as a backup and i would always sync and update it every few months. A few years ago it wouldnt let me update it anymore.

Thats kind of like saying you should be able to install windows XP on a computer that used to run 98.
yes, and at the same time apple shouldn't push updates to a phone or device that it knows will be slowed to a crawl by said update.

That's kind of like offering a forced induction blower for a prius motor. You know it's going to blow up the engine, you don't disclaim that, and send the owner information on how to get it for free....
Old 10-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #30
fermic37

They dont push it, it doesnt pop up that there is an update everytime you open your phone. this update has been out for over a week now. My phone still shows nothing about an update unless i go in and check for one.

Doesnt slow every phone or device down, there are bugs with every rollout of a new update, they can only test so much with the beta testers.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #31
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
They dont push it, it doesnt pop up that there is an update everytime you open your phone. this update has been out for over a week now. My phone still shows nothing about an update unless i go in and check for one.....
An update notice pops up every time my wife logs in to her ipad mini, and it is connected to the wi-fi. It gives her the "remind me later" option or "update now" option. In past experiences, it will eventually force an update on it's own. Perhaps there is a setting we do not know about that will tell it to quit trying to update?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #32
fermic37

There must be, since I pretty much have all the same settings on my current phone set the same way they were on my 4. I have always backed up to the same PC and never lost anything. Because my old 6s and new 7 do not do that.

edit- found it. http://osxdaily.com/2016/01/04/stop-...-notification/
Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #33
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

^ Yeah, the deal-killer here is to stay off wi-fi, which is not an option for her. Guess we'll have to live with the "Later" option and in the mean time, Apple should/hopefully have the nasty little bugs worked out.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
fermic37

Im on wifi 90% of the time. My truck even has a wifi hot spot. I never have any update requests. There has to be another setting some where. Just have to do some digging.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #35
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I have not had a single notification on my iPhone 5s, it's all happening on her iPad mini. I agree, must be a setting somewhere, I need to grab the nearest 10 yr-old kid to figure it out, lol.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #36
fermic37

haha yeah, the last time i got a new phone it was a few days before i could get back to my PC and restore it back to my old phone. All the settings and features that were on drove me nuts.

And its been so long since i figured them out, i couldnt remember what was what.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #37
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Yeah, no notices here on my iPad mini either. I usually hold off on .0 releases, but as I have two phones, I went ahead and updated one. New and interesting features, no issues that I've encountered so far.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #38
Newtown Chris

my phone and ipad have had the red 1 icon for over a week. my phone tried to (6c) install it last night, asking for my screen lock passcode to confirm. Maybe that's not a push, but it's sure a hell a nudge. most people would've complied, i noticed a cancel at the bottom of the screen...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
fermic37

Go back through your settings. It can be turned off. Just cant remember how.

See update is there and available. But no notifications.

Also i see they revised it already. I might have to update now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3698.jpg (145.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #40
didier9

Quote:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-io...-it-1818670860

You can turn off almost all if the new features on most updates. I have them all turned off on mine, with just a simple key board.
Thank you, my blood pressure just went down a couple of points. While the tablet still feels significantly more sluggish compared to iOS 10, at least the keyboard and spell checker seem to operate normally now.

Thanks a bunch Fermic!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry