click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
WDD

How to run a program built for Window XP on my Windows 10 machine?

So, I'm trying to run a simulator of a navigation radio from Garmin for the type that is an airplane I'm going to rent.

Trouble is this is somewhat old, and the simulator needs Window XP to run. It also says it can't run on a 64 bit machine. (I did say old - simulator is from 2007).

I downloaded and tried to install, and true to it's word it won't install / work. I get a nice message saying so.

Is there someway to run my home PC in a Windows XP mode / backwards compatibility mode?

Thanks!

Windows XP Operating System required.
This simulator is not compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7 Operating Systems.
This simulator is not compatible with 64-bit Operating Systems.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Satan666
Call 9-1-1

Location: Black Hills, SD ~ Lake Forest, IL ~ (Storage Only) Morro Bay, CA
Get Hyper

Start with Windows Pro 10. If you have Home, upgrade keys are available on fleabay for a few dollars. You need 60-80 Gb of unused disk space.

You will also need a Windows XP (preferably Pro) installation disk or ISO file.
Open Programs and Features in Control Panel then Turn Windows Features On and Off. Check Hyper-V & OK.
Open Hyper-V Manager and create a Virtual Disk with your XP or Windows 7 OS. Don't bother to allocate more than 2Gb of virtual memory as that is the max a 32 bit system can address. Make the disk large enough to contain the program executable, all operating data and 25% expansion and/or cache.

Start your virtual disk and install your old program.
Create a desktop shortcut from Hyper-V Manager if you desire a 1-click open.
Create a backup disk image process.
Easy-peasy.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
sloowpoke

Ask your friends... Someone will have an old XP computer, you can use. I'm still using my XP netbook for everything but my video games :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan666 View Post
Start with Windows Pro 10. If you have Home, upgrade keys are available on fleabay for a few dollars. You need 60-80 Gb of unused disk space.

You will also need a Windows XP (preferably Pro) installation disk or ISO file.
Open Programs and Features in Control Panel then Turn Windows Features On and Off. Check Hyper-V & OK.
Open Hyper-V Manager and create a Virtual Disk with your XP or Windows 7 OS. Don't bother to allocate more than 2Gb of virtual memory as that is the max a 32 bit system can address. Make the disk large enough to contain the program executable, all operating data and 25% expansion and/or cache.

Start your virtual disk and install your old program.
Create a desktop shortcut from Hyper-V Manager if you desire a 1-click open.
Create a backup disk image process.
Easy-peasy.
I don't have a Windows XP disc, I don't have hyper drive, and I'm impressed you think what you described is Easy Peasy.

I'm thinking the short answer here is "no".
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I've got an older Toughbook I was about to upgrade with a SSD and Win10. You're welcome to borrow it.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

You can download an XP .ISO file here for free:

https://softlay.net/operating-system...-download.html

I haven't done this so can't verify that it works.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

It should run on Windows 7 32 bit.

1997 Honda GoldWing
2008 GasGas 250 TXT Pro

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Satan666
Call 9-1-1

Location: Black Hills, SD ~ Lake Forest, IL ~ (Storage Only) Morro Bay, CA
Let me count the ways . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
I don't have a Windows XP disc, I don't have hyper drive, and I'm impressed you think what you described is Easy Peasy.

I'm thinking the short answer here is "no".

The question you posed (16 bit program using a WIN 10 64-bit environment) has 3 answers. #s 2 & 3 are as follows:

Completely back up your Win10 environment and re-format your drive for dual-boot, WIN 10 & XP. You may have a problem with drivers for XP on newer hardware. There is software ($$) available to assist. A tedius process with no guaranty, typically with the graphics drivers. Not the native answer you seek but it would be on the same machine.

Obtain a Virtual Machine Server and create a VM with XP. A process similar to what I described with Hyper-V but runs using the server in a standard browser window on any Win10 machine. May also run acceptably on a tablet or phone. More expensive than both the other options ($400+) and requires a bit of knowledge and time on how to setup and maintain servers and networks. A masters in Computer Science would help. Not so easy.

I know from experience. I have a rather valuable piece of software which calculates and maps radio wave propagation. Like your simulator, it was written using a 16-bit compiler in the XP era. Also, it derives a program key from the volume identifier which throws another little hitch into the process. Furthermore, the firm no longer supports it. Replacement cost for 64-bit compatibility is mid 5-figures.

You bet I found the ways to make it work with Win10.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Cougar
Nerd Herder

[quote=Satan666;2802794]The question you posed (16 bit program using a WIN 10 64-bit environment) has 3 answers. #s 2 & 3 are as follows:

Completely back up your Win10 environment and re-format your drive for dual-boot, WIN 10 & XP. You may have a problem with drivers for XP on newer hardware. There is software ($$) available to assist. A tedius process with no guaranty, typically with the graphics drivers. Not the native answer you seek but it would be on the same machine.

Obtain a Virtual Machine Server and create a VM with XP. A process similar to what I described with Hyper-V but runs using the server in a standard browser window on any Win10 machine. May also run acceptably on a tablet or phone. More expensive than both the other options ($400+) and requires a bit of knowledge and time on how to setup and maintain servers and networks. A masters in Computer Science would help. Not so easy.

I know from experience. I have a rather valuable piece of software which calculates and maps radio wave propagation. Like your simulator, it was written using a 16-bit compiler in the XP era. Also, it derives a program key from the volume identifier which throws another little hitch into the process. Furthermore, the firm no longer supports it. Replacement cost for 64-bit compatibility is mid 5-figures. [quote]

Yeah! What HE said!
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
caitarou
Yeah, Shoot.

Get Virtual Box:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

You can download XP as a guest OS from them as well:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

Install Virtual Box, you will have to make a file for the XP machine to use as an HDD, you will probably need 10 GB free.

I find Virtual Box to be really intuitive, and I had to use it when I got a cracked dealership software for my Toyota. It only ran in XP as well, so I had to make a virtual box and run the software through that. I was able to successfully add keys and remotes.
caitarou is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry